C4 Shuddering under acceleration
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default C4 Shuddering under acceleration

All,

My C4 VTS, 6 years old with 160K , had the Rt side CV replaced recently and subsequently a pronounced shudder would occur under acceleration . Along with a clicking noise and some electrical issues ..which I believe occurs when the engine top mount goes and affects the electricals (found this on a site elsewhere).

I've now replaced the Top engine mount and it was worn. It still shudders, can I get a suggestion as to which of the two remaining mounts I should change first, the centre or the gearbox first. Alternatively, am I barking up the wrong tree and maybe should be looking eleswhere??

Thanks and regards

Garry

Advertisement

Tadpole

Hmmm,

In case someone else reads this and can gain some information.

I've replaced the gearbox mount, the shuddering has reduced, however it is still there. I've had a look at the rear engine mount and the bush is located in a flange attached to the engine. The Rt drive shaft (CV) also runs through this flange.

Looks like too much for me, so I'll take my car to a local mechanic, with my new rear mount Bush and get then to press out the old one and install the new one.

All the best.

Fellow Frogger

You probably didn't get a reply as it's very difficult to give a decent answer when it could be down to one or more engine mounts, either driveshaft, wishbone bushes or even the clutch. It's hard to give an armchair diagnosis.

Where is the clicking noise coming from? Does it vary with road speed?

Taking it to a dealer / mechanic and ask for an opinion on what needs to be done is probably the best way forward.

Take it to Colliers automotive not a local mechanic Id say. Someone that knows what they are doing.

Thread Information