c5 3.0l twin turbo v6
  • Register
  • Help

Default c5 3.0l twin turbo v6

just some feedback wanted, has anybody driven or own the current 3.0l v6 twin turbo (jag engine) c5 exclusive. have been looking at the car since it came out at $72,000. i have seen some used/demo 2.7 twin turbo engines c5 exclusive cars online and wondering if there is a huge diffrence between power and lag off the line? i know there is an update c5 comming out this year, some feedback would be great if anyone ownes of of these engines.

Advertisement

Tadpole

I was in a similar situation to you a few months back thinking of getting the very same car but after reading a few threads here I'm not too sure if I should risk the car reliability problems its not like there is a Citreon dealer where I travel to different places north coast,south coast,inland etc and the distributor has not impressed me when I tried to get information on the upcoming model and I cannot see why the $12,000 extra for the V6 is justified,pity was looking forward to the new updated C5 but once I heard they dropped the 2.2L diesel engine I lost any interest I had left for the car

laurie

UFO

Go to a dealer and try a 2l exclusive. I wonder why people would think they need to pay the premium to have the V6. The 2l in ours is great and the current model has the more powerful 2l engine.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

Default 2.0 litre diesel C5

I agree with UFO. I've had both 2.2 and 2.0 litre C5's and have found that the 2.0 litre is more than adequate. A friend has a new series C5 6 cyl diesel and he feels the extra money wasn't worth it. As for turbo lag, it's a matter of getting used to it and a light foot on the accelerator when initially accelerating after slowing down, for example at a roundabout, does the trick.

thanks guys for the feedback i did notice the huge diffrence in price with the 2.0lhdi diesel at $62,000 and the 3.0lhdi at $72,000. also a funny thing the 2.0l has a full size spare and the 3.0l has a spacesaver i know the new 2.0l was improved from 100kw to 120 kw so i might give that a try. i was intrested in a wagon but that is pre order only.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by tommo View Post
    just some feedback wanted, has anybody driven or own the current 3.0l v6 twin turbo (jag engine) c5 exclusive. have been looking at the car since it came out at $72,000. i have seen some used/demo 2.7 twin turbo engines c5 exclusive cars online and wondering if there is a huge diffrence between power and lag off the line? i know there is an update c5 comming out this year, some feedback would be great if anyone ownes of of these engines.
    We purchased a 2012 3.0L V6 second hand (30K) nearly a year ago and I can say that I am more than happy with the decision. On the plus side, as pointed out above, you get the motor co-jointly developed with Rover/Jaguar, albeit in the Citroen it has been de-tuned to accommodate the limited space for the transmission. We paid approximately half the original price. It is still the fastest C5 produced (243kph) and has all the usual C5 trademarks (suspension etc).

Perhaps my only qualification is that if you choose to have it serviced by a Citroen dealer, it will prove very expensive compared to say Camry, Commodore or Falcon. By way of example, sadly, they choose to charge more than 100% more for oil than what it can be purchased for. Similarly, you may be reassured by the offer of fixed price servicing but it is the items not covered that will set you back - to give one example, after doing 60K I suggest that you will need both brake pads and rotors and that, if fitted by a Citroen dealer, will leave you with no change out of $2K. Similarly, front Michelin tyres are probably only good for $30K and for 4 new tyres will set you back $1,400.
    That said, you don't have to be held to ransom by dealers; unfortunately, they do themselves a disservice by seeing Citroen owners as a "captive audience". Rather than contributing to making an excellent product even better, they tend to detract from it.
    If you can find a way to cover maintenance, you won't be disappointed with the character, comfort and enjoyment this impressive oil burner delivers.
    Last edited by turnbull151; 25th June 2016 at 09:47 PM.

I imagine that there is a measurable difference in economy between the two. My 2010 C5 gets as low as 5.2 on the open road.

The real difference will be in the "seat of the pants" feel, not just the power-to-weight ratio, but the torque, and the spread of it.

Whilst the later 2.0l diesel, with 120kw, is "adequate", I still reckon that V6 would blitz it, and must be high on the list of those wanting "the ultimate".

BTW, if the top speed of this model is 243kmh, then that makes it still 7kmh slower that the 406 V6 (petrol) manual.

Fellow Frogger!

On a 2K trip including the Great Ocean Road, we averaged 6.2L/100Km. Around town it uses nearly 8L/100Km.
    That's an impressive top speed for the 406 petrol - considering the V8 Supercars do less than 50kph more down Conrod! Also notice that the 406 HDI set the world record for the longest distance on a single tank of fuel (Melbourne to Rockhampton - 2348 kms).
    Must say the 3.0L diesel eats both for torque though.
    Last edited by turnbull151; 25th June 2016 at 11:47 PM.

My 3.0 C5 wagon now has about 70k on the odometer. Every time I drive it - it surprises me what a good all round car it is. Certainly it has plenty of punch....and was an improvement over the 2.7 wagon it replaced.

One of the noticeable differences (not appreciated until recently driving a 2.7 C6) was less acceleration lag. I suspect I'd be happy with any engine combination in a C5.....but a hydractive "big block" Citroen is likely to be a rare thing going forward.

Regards,
    Rhys

I have ridden in a Range Rover with the same engine but only one turbo. Went more than fast enough while pouring black smoke out the back. Why would you need even more power in a lighter car

It's like art. Most times putting boundaries around art projects improves them. Same with the C5. The 2 litre diesel is better than adequate. It is the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thread Information