DS Speedo update.
  • Register
  • Help
    mnm

Default DS Speedo update.

Hi everyone

Advertisement

just thoguth I'd update y'all about my speedo conversion. I bought a second hand cluster off french Ebay which is in Km/hr instead of miles. Performed some minor surgery this afternoon replacing the speedo.. even "0'ed" the mileage. Replaced the main beam green plastic cover with one from the second unit as mine had melted?? What's that all about?

Anyway, all works woo hoo!! No more conversions. Just have to go for a run now with my brother's GPS and check the accuracy. The MPH speedo was 5mph fast so will be interesting to compare the kmh.

Thanks to those who offered their advice previously.

Matthew

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Hi everyone

just thoguth I'd update y'all about my speedo conversion. I bought a second hand cluster off french Ebay which is in Km/hr instead of miles. Performed some minor surgery this afternoon replacing the speedo.. even "0'ed" the mileage. Replaced the main beam green plastic cover with one from the second unit as mine had melted?? What's that all about?

Anyway, all works woo hoo!! No more conversions. Just have to go for a run now with my brother's GPS and check the accuracy. The MPH speedo was 5mph fast so will be interesting to compare the kmh.

Thanks to those who offered their advice previously.

Matthew
    Photos available? I think I'll do that too....what a great idea!
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

mnm

Default Pics post surgery.

Not the best pic but here ya go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Speedo update.-100_0420.jpg  

Hi everyone

Replaced the main beam green plastic cover with one from the second unit as mine had melted?? What's that all about?

Matthew
    Usually melts with the wrong bulb profile ( too long ) or using a bulb with a higher wattage than suggested.

UFO

One with the speedo reading at the 3 o'clock position would be much more interesting...
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

IIRC, the dashlight bulbs should be 2w and not many shops carry this spec. I seem to remember having a hard time finding them.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Quote Originally Posted by Boyracer View Post
    IIRC, the dashlight bulbs should be 2w and not many shops carry this spec. I seem to remember having a hard time finding them.
    ditto
    I've found almost universally they will offer you 5w replacements.

Probably 'ok' to try 5w on the 2 main dash illumination lights as theres a little more room between the blub and the plastic, but I wouldnt be using 5w in the warning light cluster...

*quietly laments shop owners no longer offering to find you what you actually asked for*
    Last edited by Mort Subite; 19th February 2011 at 02:53 PM.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

5w definitely melt the coloured lenses.

Luckily I had a spare binnacle to pilfer from.
    Cheers,
    Michael

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]

mnm

I've checked the bublbs on the french cluster I bought.. they're all 3W. Hopefully they won't melt it. Also the high beam blue light is very dim when the lights are on.. is that normal or has the plastic just aged over time?

Matthew

I'd change the bulbs down to 2w for peace of mind.

I believe it's quite normal for the lighting behind the headlight and high beams to be barely discernible. I've heard of people shaving the lenses down to let more light through, but this is not something I've done.

I normally wait till I get behind another car and check my reflection in their rear end to work out what lighting arrangement I'm showing on the front.
    Cheers,
    Michael

I normally wait till I get behind another car and check my reflection in their rear end to work out what lighting arrangement I'm showing on the front.
    There is an internationally accepted signaling code to denote high beam. The driver in front should show it to draw the following motorists attention to the fact.

From memory the code is the raising of one finger though that might also be used for tailgating or improper use of an audible signaling device..
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

I've checked the bublbs on the french cluster I bought.. they're all 3W. Hopefully they won't melt it. Also the high beam blue light is very dim when the lights are on.. is that normal or has the plastic just aged over time?

Matthew
    2W.

the blue high beam is never easily detectable unless your in pitch black in the country. then you'd need all the lights on...

you can paint (with a brush) the insides of each section of the cluster in a metalic silver paint to aid reflection, and as Boyracer said the blue lens has been 'shaved' down to permit more light through. its fiddly and a labour of love, Ive only seen it done once, but it works really well.

possible voltage drop due to the wiring being constantly cooked inside the dash may have caused deterioration, but thats something Im guessing most of us will live with...
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

I replaced all my Golf's instrument bulbs with aftermarket LED's a few years back. Worked great and dimmable. The trickiest part was aiming them for proper gauge illumination because LED's are directional by nature. Hot glued them in position because they were physically small for the lamp socket. Soldered them in 'cuz they'll practically never burn out. Produced nearly nil heat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Speedo update.-dsc00458sm.jpg  

Default ds speedo lights

will be renovating the full dash and instrument cluster and looking to replace all bulbs with LED units no heat and colours readily available also low energy requirement.
    will put pictures up when completed

mnm

I used one of the indicator green panels off the spare kit for the low beam light panel.. works very well.. very bright even in daylight. The blue one is OK as you say when it's dark but during the day forget it.

Matthew

UFO

I know when my high beams are working. The ashpalt on the road melts ever so slightly. When the swivels are on, possums fall out of trees clutching their eyes.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information