removing #2 and#3 plug on IE DS
  • Register
  • Help
    Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Default removing #2 and#3 plug on IE DS

Oright then... howdo you remove #2 and #3 plug with tool as it doesn't fit under the injection carbunkle thingy?

Advertisement
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

DS

Hahaha. Silly injection cars. Which tool are you using? A "factory" one? I used to part remove the induction manifold tilting it up making sure not to disturb the injector wiring and making sure the sealing rubbers on the manifold were re seated and sealing properly when re fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    Hahaha. Silly injection cars. Which tool are you using? A "factory" one? I used to part remove the induction manifold tilting it up making sure not to disturb the injector wiring and making sure the sealing rubbers on the manifold were re seated and sealing properly when re fitting.
    Okay, so there is no easier way? I thought of that but I was kinda of sure there must be a quicker way to change a plug!
    Yes am using the "factory" tool. So tomorrow it's injection off then.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

DS

Its really easy...................compared to...................an injection SM!

When I had my injected DS back in 1986 a friend had a Cadillac with injection. It used to take him ALL DAY to change plugs so I always felt good knowing my car was easier to do.

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

Is there a longlife plug you can use on the IE? Like platinum plugs or something?

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

Fellow Frogger!

Default Plug Removal

They can be removed with everything intact.
    1) Make a plug spanner by welding together 2 3/8 drive plug sockets
    2) Fit a long wobbly extension and hey presto - remove.
    Woody

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Oright then... howdo you remove #2 and #3 plug with tool as it doesn't fit under the injection carbunkle thingy?
    I got an IE and the standard Citroen plug spanner fits down each side of the intake manifold, there is a wire you have to squeeze past but it can be done as I have had all the plugs out when it was trying to run on three cylinders
    Last edited by Techbuy; 19th February 2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: fix

Quote Originally Posted by Techbuy View Post
    I got an IE and the standard Citroen plug spanner fits down each side of the intake manifold, there is a wire you have to squeeze past but it can be done as I have had all the plugs out when it was trying to run on three cylinders
    mmmm......that's not everyone's opinion. I know that if I used brute force I could have pushed the plug spanner in, but had my doubts if I could then remove it on the way out.
    Prefer the D to run with 2 old plugs rather than one new plug and a spanner stuck in the hole under the injection!

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Pull the inlet manifold off..... Anything that breaks needed to be replaced for safety reasons either way I'd redo all the wiring while I'm there too. I was amazed what incredibly poor condition it was in on the DS21 here

Those Djets are scarey dangerous if they still have the original heavily perished rubber lines attached to the injectors

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Those Djets are scarey dangerous if they still have the original heavily perished rubber lines attached to the injectors

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Segway...

Jason did mention to me that the DS23 I'm about to go and collect should be driven 'on the trailer and off the trailer until it has a full service, including looking at the condition of all the EFi'...if I didn't want to risk an underbonnet fire....

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    mmmm......that's not everyone's opinion. I know that if I used brute force I could have pushed the plug spanner in, but had my doubts if I could then remove it on the way out.
    Prefer the D to run with 2 old plugs rather than one new plug and a spanner stuck in the hole under the injection!

No brute force used just a bit of careful manoeuvring, the plug spanner (original Citroen one) did not jam or have to be pushed hard at any time. It was a very easy fit past the inlet manifold just take it easy and the plug spanners goes on and off the plugs very easily.

I am very careful of what I do and how I do it on my beloved D’s and if it there was any chance of damaging the car I would not have taken the plugs out this way and would have suggested you take off the inlet manifold if it needed brute force.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    1975 DS23 IE Pallas Auto
    1972 D Special 4Sp
    1973 D Special 4Sp
    1/2 a DS23 Auto
    Last edited by Techbuy; 20th February 2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: fix

Quote Originally Posted by Techbuy View Post
    No brute force used just a bit of careful manoeuvring, the plug spanner (original Citroen one) did not jam or have to be pushed hard at any time. It was a very easy fit past the inlet manifold just take it easy and the plug spanners goes on and off the plugs very easily.

I am very careful of what I do and how I do it on my beloved Dís and if it there was any chance of damaging the car I would not have taken the plugs out this way and would have suggested you take off the inlet manifold if it needed brute force

I have a re-make of the original plug spanner and honestly there is no way it is going to go in. As I go furtherdown the well, the plugspanner jams itself against the injection inlet and no manner of jiggling will get it there. Are they I wonder different versions of the inlet system as mine seems just that little bit too large to fit a spanner on the side of it?
    Thanks for the advice anyway but I think removal of inlet is the answer in my case. Will post pictures next week.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

I will take some pictures of them tomorrow as the car is not here at home.
    then send you the pictures to see if there is any difference in the spanner and manifold, it was quite easy when I took my plugs out, only about three weeks ago as the engine was running on 2 1/2 cylinders.
    (it's not the ignition side its the fuel side causing this)
    I have the manifold off right now while I sort it out, found the inlet ports were not bolted up tight on the cylinder block (in fact they were very loose) it's a wonder the poor thing started at all, no gasket on the cold start, split hoses under the inlet manifold.. AHHHh!!!

1975 DS23 IE Pallas Auto
    1972 D Special 4Sp
    1973 D Special 4Sp
    1/2 a DS23 Auto
    www.ds23.com.au
    Last edited by Techbuy; 20th February 2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Spelling

Sorry got buried at work and did not get a chance to post these for you.

The pictures are of the tools and then I popped the inlet maifold on to show the access to the plugs. the manifold is in its proper position with the throttle body removed.
    If the manifold is not mounted at its correct height (sloping down a bit on the drivers side) then the front one can be tight and would need brute force as you said.
    It is about 1 to 2mm clear when the manifold is level.
    the last one shows access through the plug in front of the windsheild

The plug spanner is the original Citroen one.

1975 DS23 IE Pallas Auto
    1972 D Special 4Sp
    1973 D Special 4Sp
    1/2 a DS23 Auto
    The cars = www.ds23.com.au
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails removing #2 and#3 plug on IE DS-citroentools.jpg   removing #2 and#3 plug on IE DS-citroentools1.jpg   removing #2 and#3 plug on IE DS-citroentools2.jpg   removing #2 and#3 plug on IE DS-citroentools3.jpg   removing #2 and#3 plug on IE DS-citroentools4-1.jpg   removing #2 and#3 plug on IE DS-citroentools4-2.jpg  

removing #2 and#3 plug on IE DS-citroentools5.jpg  

DS

It is indeed an original tool with the collar to avoid cross threading.

Why are you using the extension? It looks like you can get the tool into the hole. Can't you then just use a bar or screwdriver shaft to un-do the plug from down low without the extension?

Not so easy to photograph, but on mine the spanner is already hardup against the cover and if I try harder it will only get jammed.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

skp
    Fellow Frogger!

I don't see what the problem is.... the injection manifold is quite easy and quick to remove. There are only 6 hose clamps to loosen and one nut - the rest just pulls off and on.
    Just do it a few times - it's a doddle.

Skp

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

On the semi auto injection, must the clutch re engagement control unit be disconnected from the pressure lines?

I haven't really taken notice of it because the engine is out and I removed the manifold by loosening the clutch re engagement unit's pressure lines, but I do NOT want to loosen them each time I need to change the plugs

They say getting the system up and running is a real PITA

Or can you loosen the nut keeping the CRC in place and lock the CRC with the pin, remove the arm from the accelerator spindle and lift the whole manifold off? I do think this is the better option

Just wanted to know for future reference

Thanks
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

Neither do I. I have a tube spanner, made by my father, with a 3/8 drive welded in the top,the top of which sits flush with the top of the rocker cover , attach a 3/8 universal drive and away you go. Also I have a standard plug socket (Sidchrome)with an internal plastic gromet to hold the plug, attach a short extension plus universal drive and away you go.
    You may have to do these attachings progressively but it works. Where has the great 'ozzie' ingenuity gone? My father ,an old time engineer would have looked at the 'dog' drive of the original tool in horror, a collar to stop cross threading 'quelle horreur"
    1950 Light 15 - Blanche 'Claude'
    1949 Light 15 - Noir 'Emilie'
    1982 2CV Special - Lagune Bleu 'Daffie'
    2007 C4 HDI EGS - Rouge Lucifer
    1968 Velo Solex 3800 - Noir

DS

Bobsie. Is your tool set and technique taking into consideration the deep hole and long plug extensions on a Citroen DS?

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    Bobsie. Is your tool set and technique taking into consideration the deep hole and long plug extensions on a Citroen DS?
    I think not.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Thats what my father made his extended tube spanner for. Toward the end of his working life he worked in a garage specializing on french vehicles (in NZ ) I have a number of other quite simple tools he made to help (Bent 12mm spanner with extension and 3/8 socket drive attached to clamp distributors for example)
    1950 Light 15 - Blanche 'Claude'
    1949 Light 15 - Noir 'Emilie'
    1982 2CV Special - Lagune Bleu 'Daffie'
    2007 C4 HDI EGS - Rouge Lucifer
    1968 Velo Solex 3800 - Noir

Thread Information