CX Prestige: good news and bad news
  • Register
  • Help

Default CX Prestige: good news and bad news

Good first - it is finally registered.

Advertisement

Bad news: there is something wrong with the engine. When hot it is sometimes really difficult to start. I thought it could be the cold start injector but I did test it and it worked fine (ie. no jet when hot). Also, at the end of the 30km run the engine struggled to run and finally stalled on the hill (luckily that was our drive) .
    It looked like it is some kind of electrical problem. The indicator light started flickering and the engine struggled to pull. I managed to coast the last few hundred meters. After it stalled it did not start again. But when I let it cool down for an hour and tried again it started immediately and the engine had power.
    I wonder if it could be something like the coil or the ignition module shorting when getting hot?
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

C'mon Kimmo......... I know you already know the answer to this :poke:

Flywheel sensors, early cars have two. One will cause very poor running if it fails, the other will stop the car completelly. With single sensor cars, it obviously stops the car instantly.

Normal failure is heat sensitive..... as soon as they get hot the car will stop, and not run again until they have cooled.

To test, drop flywheels sensor into a pan of water and bring to the boil. If they suddenly go from 70ohms to open circuit as they warm, you have found your problem.

If you find some spare ................ I need one too

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 18th February 2011 at 05:17 PM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    C'mon Kimmo......... I know you already know the answer to this :poke:

Flywheel sensors, early cars have two. One will cause very poor running if it fails, the other will stop the car completelly. With single sensor cars, it obviously stops the car instantly.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Hey, I thought the 2400 IE engine does not have the flywheel sensors, because it has got a distributor! The signal goes from the dizzy to the computer.

The new CCCQ club magazine came today and in his article Len French mentioned "the high voltage radio suppressor resistor in the distributor" that is known to overheat. Does anybody know about them? Could it give the symphtoms I got?
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Hi Kimmo

what distributor do you have. It will be either a Ducelier or SEV Marchal. The Ducelier has a star shaped rotor under the high voltage rotor. Both my CX 2400ie originally had the Ducelier distributor and they both failed with a temperature sensitive open circuit in the coil in the distributor. You can see it, I eventually found the fault with the aid of my wife's hair dryer, multimeter across the coil and could make the coil go open or closed at will.

The SEV that replaced it has never given me a moments trouble, when you take the rotor off this, you can't see any moving parts.

I would check that coil, although the symptoms on my car was sudden engine failure. The ignition modules I also find to either work or not.

The Prestige is running a Bosch MEK coil now after he original failed, so in case you ever find the coil dead it is a cheap solution.

That should clear up the confusion about ignition systems, most people think 2500 system when you talk about CX injection, but to add some more complexity, for the very last of the 2400ie they did use the disributorless system that went onto the 2500s. Ours are the more common early type with an electronic distributor and coil

Finally are you sure the problem is not related to fuel and/or crap in the tank. Engines that stumble or not getting the right fuel air mix or the right fuel. Ignition problems tend to just stop them.

good luck

Greg
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Hi Kimmo

what distributor do you have. It will be either a Ducelier or SEV Marchal. The Ducelier has a star shaped rotor under the high voltage rotor. Both my CX 2400ie originally had the Ducelier distributor and they both failed with a temperature sensitive open circuit in the coil in the distributor. You can see it, I eventually found the fault with the aid of my wife's hair dryer, multimeter across the coil and could make the coil go open or closed at will.

The SEV that replaced it has never given me a moments trouble, when you take the rotor off this, you can't see any moving parts.

I would check that coil, although the symptoms on my car was sudden engine failure. The ignition modules I also find to either work or not.

The Prestige is running a Bosch MEK coil now after he original failed, so in case you ever find the coil dead it is a cheap solution.

That should clear up the confusion about ignition systems, most people think 2500 system when you talk about CX injection, but to add some more complexity, for the very last of the 2400ie they did use the disributorless system that went onto the 2500s. Ours are the more common early type with an electronic distributor and coil

Finally are you sure the problem is not related to fuel and/or crap in the tank. Engines that stumble or not getting the right fuel air mix or the right fuel. Ignition problems tend to just stop them.

good luck

Greg
    Mine is SEV Marchal. The parts car got the Ducellier. I might try another coil from the parts car and see if it improves anything. It keeps on stalling when put on the drive as well even the idle speed is set quite high.

I have not replaced the fuel filter so that could cause trouble. I got the fuel tank out and cleared it from all the unwanted stuff, so that should be fine. I thought the rough running could be ignition related because the indicator light starter mysteriously flashing when the problem occurred.
    CX Register

UFO

Could it be coincidence and you are chasing your tail?

Have you checked the air supply system that there is not a cracked hose?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Could it be coincidence and you are chasing your tail?

Have you checked the air supply system that there is not a cracked hose?
    I have checked the pipes few times. I replaced the concertina with a good one from the parts car.
    CX Register

Thread Information