Advice for buying an early V6 petrol C5
  • Register
  • Help
    grb
    Tadpole

Default Advice for buying an early V6 petrol C5

I have a Xantia V6, but am tempted by an early C5 V6. Are there any clues on what to be wary of? I know that this is probably old ground, but as the cars get older more information comes to hand. Do they have any auto gearbox issues?

Advertisement

Thanks

Gordon

Fellow Frogger

Condition and service history is very important now as there are quite a few rough examples out there that you simply do not want to own. It's the same engine and gearbox as in your Xantia, so same chance of failure there. Make sure it works properly and doesn't shunt going up a hill in top gear as this indicates torque converter problems. Look at usual used car faults and make sure everything works, but also check for hydraulic leaks from the suspension and power steering. The switch on the power steering pipes visible directly in front of the engine can leak and can be replaced separately to the pipe set. It's important that the harmonic balancer isn't turning due to failure of the rubber. Engine mounts are prone to sag and also snap the centre securing bolt, so that is worth looking at. Lack of performance issues are often caused by blocked exhaust/catalysts.

grb
    Tadpole

Default Thanks

Thanks David,

I appreciate the advice.

Cheers

Gordon

Thread Information