Traction brake lines
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    skp
    skp is offline
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    211

    Default Traction brake lines

    Has anyone got a spare locknut for the brakelines ? 5/8" by 26 tpi. Secures the line to the bracket.
    Also the 7/16" UNF line nut that holds the flared copper line into the flex line.
    Mine were rusted SOLID and were destroyed in the refurbishment. Now I am having trouble finding replacements!!

    SKP

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Can you provide diagrams of the necessary parts. I may be able to help
    Cheers Gerry
    PS Actually the line nut 5/8 x26 tpi should not be that hard. Just buy a nut of appropriate size and run it through with a 5/8 x 26 tpi tap. The 7/16 flare nuts should be common to many English cars so they can probably be obtained from a Morris or MG specialist. Flexible lines can be made to order by Pirtek. It helps to have a sample. 'Morse Under Car' in Warrnambool made up my flexible lines.
    Last edited by gerrypro; 17th February 2011 at 12:15 PM.

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Gudday!

    As an aside 26 TPI in small increments up to (large?) diameters is the standard British Cycle Thread. All are the same threads per inch, irrespective of diameter.

    Trying to find taps / dies is a problem, however. I had to order my set from the Old Country (salute, strains of 'Rule Britania"), as none were available locally 20 years ago.

    Doubt if this situation would have improved since then.

    Regards,

    Fento

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fento View Post
    Gudday!

    As an aside 26 TPI in small increments up to (large?) diameters is the standard British Cycle Thread. All are the same threads per inch, irrespective of diameter.

    Trying to find taps / dies is a problem, however. I had to order my set from the Old Country (salute, strains of 'Rule Britania"), as none were available locally 20 years ago.

    Doubt if this situation would have improved since then.

    Regards,

    Fento
    came up with these in 2 seconds flat. The single tap however is supposed to be brass???????? Surely not ----it would have to hardened tool steel????

    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Hand-Tap-Bras...#ht_500wt_1156

    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LARGE-SIZE-CY...#ht_754wt_1139

    and some from the Old Country

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-8-BSCY-26-TP...c#ht_500wt_922

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-8-x-26-TPI-B...#ht_1136wt_905
    Cheers Gerry

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Gerry,

    Gudday!

    Yes, there are some BSP and BSPT (British Standard Pipe and BSP Taper) taps / dies that match - but only a few. BSP/T is one of the few internationally standard thread types.

    The term Brass, sometimes Gas, is related to the type of material usually cut, or the medium being piped - certainly not the material the tool is made from. BSP/T are commonly referred as Brass/Gas in the smaller sizes due to useage, not standards.

    The Cycle threads maintain the same TPI over the entire size range, irrespective of material or diameter.

    Check with vintage / veteran pushbike / motorcycle restorers. They are the most avid buyers of these old 26 TPI taps / dies, and pay the prices mentioned in the adds you kindly posted.

    My set (up to 1/2 inch) cost over one hundred Pommy quid 20 years ago.

    Regards,

    Fento

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fento View Post
    Gerry,

    Gudday!

    Yes, there are some BSP and BSPT (British Standard Pipe and BSP Taper) taps / dies that match - but only a few. BSP/T is one of the few internationally standard thread types.

    The term Brass, sometimes Gas, is related to the type of material usually cut, or the medium being piped - certainly not the material the tool is made from. BSP/T are commonly referred as Brass/Gas in the smaller sizes due to useage, not standards.

    The Cycle threads maintain the same TPI over the entire size range, irrespective of material or diameter.

    Check with vintage / veteran pushbike / motorcycle restorers. They are the most avid buyers of these old 26 TPI taps / dies, and pay the prices mentioned in the adds you kindly posted.

    My set (up to 1/2 inch) cost over one hundred Pommy quid 20 years ago.

    Regards,

    Fento
    The AUD is pretty good against the Pound Sterling these days. And then Ebay has introduced a competition level that sees prices reduced to realistic levels. Pommy Tool Factors are notoriously hungry. You only have to look in the adds in ;Classic and Thoroughbred Car" to see this.
    BTW thanks for the education on taps and materials! I did not know this thing about 'brass'Taps
    Cheers Gerry

  7. #7
    skp
    skp is offline
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Yeess...... but I am trying to avoid making these two nuts. I hope I don't have to deal with such badly rusted lines again, so I don't really want to be buying taps that I will never use again. I HOPE !!!

    I was hoping that someone would have a few of these laying about....

    I'll have a go at some of the british car clubs for the flare nut.

    Stuart

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Stuart,

    I should have mentioned that mine only go to 1/2 inch, otherwise I could have cut some for you - will check the spare tools box for a 5/8 x 26 tap, but unlikely.

    Regards,

    Fento

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    186

    Default traction brakes

    Hi Stuart,
    If you can try and send me a photo or a dawing of exactly what you need I will have a search over the weekend. Maybe talk on sype tonight ? Or a reference in the parts manual ??
    Ted

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Hi Stuart,
    If you can try and send me a photo or a dawing of exactly what you need I will have a search over the weekend. Maybe talk on sype tonight ? Or a reference in the parts manual ??
    Ted
    Ted, the part number in the British Parts manual (available for down load from TOC ) is B 8978 ( where B denotes British). Flare nuts were sold with the Brake line complete so I can't access a part number for these.
    Cheers Gerry
    PS I have the parts, but I,m not all that keen on parting with them when making them is such an easy alternative for the sake of a few Pounds Sterling outlay on a tap.

  11. #11
    skp
    skp is offline
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Manna has fallen! ... and there I was being an atheist.
    I found a source of the all important flared line nut. Most amazing collection of stuff in this workshop. They do brakelines, cables, clutch cables, speedo. etc etc.
    I still need to make the 5/8" locknut, but I can do this on next-doors lathe. Who would have thought that such simple parts could be so hard to source??

    Thanks all,

    Stuart

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Glad to see that your problems are sorted now Stuart. When you start looking it is amazing to find that there are people out there with resources that you would think are impossible. Did you order a Tap from Overseas?
    Cheers Gerry

  13. #13
    skp
    skp is offline
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    211

    Default

    No. I hope never to encounter another mess like this car was. I have changed the whole system over to LHM to help. It all started with a set of "locked brakes"... After removing the cylinders and renovating them to mineral fluid, I discovered that the shoes were SO far out I am astonished that the car could stop.
    The centring tool from CCOCA got things back on track - almost. I then discovered that I couldn't get the shoes to sit properly, only to find that the handbrake cables were both shot and only one had ANY movement at all! A new set of cables..... now that all works....
    The problem with the two missing nuts was the result of changing over the three flexible lines. They junctions were so badly rusted that it was a problem to salvage them. In the process I was short of these two nuts.
    All OK now !!

    Thanks,

    Stuart

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •