C5 interior fan problem
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: C5 interior fan problem

Default C5 interior fan problem

Hello all,
    I have recently bought my first Citroen - a 2003 C5 HDi auto- and I love it. What I'm not loving is the fact that the interior air blowers suddenly stopped blowing the other day. On starting, the climate control display shows 3 bars (or fan blades) but no air comes through the vents, then after a few seconds the display reverts to zero bars as if the fan speed had been turned right down. No amount of fiddling with the controls makes any difference.

Advertisement

Yesterday I took it to an auto electrician in my small country NSW town but 4 hours later he handed me the keys, shame-faced, and told me he couldn't even find the fan motor after much dismantling and searching. I had a feeling owning a Citroen was going to be fun.

A thread on a UK Citroen forum described similar symptoms and the Resistor Pack (part 6441L2 - Heater Resist C5/406) was suggested as the culprit.

Am I on the right track? If so can anyone offer some advice on whether I can replace this myself or should I find a friendly Citroen dealer?

I'm new to this forum, so apologies if I'm covering well worn territory. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by Dogdiamond; 16th February 2011 at 01:19 PM.
    C5cool likes this.

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by Dogdiamond View Post
    Hello all,
    I have recently bought my first Citroen - a 2003 C5 HDi auto- and I love it. What I'm not loving is the fact that the interior air blowers suddenly stopped blowing the other day. On starting, the climate control display shows 3 bars (or fan blades) but no air comes through the vents, then after a few seconds the display reverts to zero bars as if the fan speed had been turned right down. No amount fiddling with the controls makes any difference.

Yesterday I took it to an auto electrician in my small country NSW town but 4 hours later he handed me the keys, shame-faced, and told me he couldn't even find the fan motor after much dismantling and searching. I had a feeling owning a Citroen was going to be fun.

A thread on a UK Citroen forum described similar symptoms and the Resistor Pack (part 6441L2 - Heater Resist C5/406) was suggested as the culprit.

Am I on the right track? If so can anyone offer some advice on whether I can replace this myself or should I find a friendly Citroen dealer?

I'm new to this forum, so apologies if I'm covering well worn territory. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    We lost huge amount of useful data recently, I'll see if I can find a cached thread that dealt with this one for you. The part you are looking for is in the drivers footwell to the left, remove trim cover to reveal, from memory remove two torx head screws and withdraw the unit. Some here have now had success in replacing the mosfet rather than the whole unit (a few dollars compared with hundreds).

I'll see what I have on my computer at home tonight, if no one else beats me to it

Cheers
    Chris
    C5cool likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thank you GreenBlood, that would be great. I'm off to the driveway to try removing the trim.

The transistor is an IRFP064N

Last edited by Clogzz; 16th January 2014 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Changed link
    C5cool likes this.
    2003 C5 2.0i AL4 205,000 km 76372389

Icon3

OK, if the pics appear in order...
    1. Shroud
    2. Fan module in situ
    3. Fan module removed
    4. Fan module

So, as instructions above, and as Clogzz has shown, if you are handy with a soldering iron you should only need replace the mosfet not the whole unit.

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C5 interior fan problem-shroud.jpg   C5 interior fan problem-fan-module-insitu.jpg   C5 interior fan problem-fan-module-removed1.jpg   C5 interior fan problem-fan-module.jpg  
    C5cool likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Wow. Thank you so much Chris and Clogzz, you guys are awesome. The pictures are really helpful.

I'm not really handy with a soldering iron but I know someone who is. The module is $198. I'll be rapt if I get away with just buying the transistor.

Thanks again for your time. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers, Doug.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Dogdiamond View Post
    Wow. Thank you so much Chris and Clogzz, you guys are awesome. The pictures are really helpful.

I'm not really handy with a soldering iron but I know someone who is. The module is $198. I'll be rapt if I get away with just buying the transistor.

Thanks again for your time. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers, Doug.

Good luck Doug, this was our supplier in Aus for the mosfet >>> http://australia.rs-online.com/web/5410008P.html <<< They are showing as temp out of stock. I have heard other members getting something close from Jaycar?

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The fan module is available from Peugeot dealers ( it was cheaper, for the same part as my C5) cost around $180.00 . I followed The Famous Greenbloods advice and installed the whole module in 20 minutes. Allan.

Found this in the backblocks of the computer, with another mention somewhere else of IRF540N also from Jaycar.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62651

GreenBlood and others thanks for your excellent work on this. The Danish weblink suggests a part (IRFP064N) to replace the faulty component of the fan controller.

I could not find this part however I did a datasheet search and found an alternate. I just bought a MOSFET from Jaycar for $6.95 and replaced this component of the fan speed controller in my Dads C5. Its worked just fine so far despite looking a bit small. The part number is IRF1405.

You will need to spread the legs of the component a little to get it to fit the circuit board and make sure you use a good heat sink grease because these suckers get hot.

Fixed!

Thank you all for your excellent advice. Chris your photos made it very easy. In the end I didn't try replacing the Mosfet - it was out of stock at the supplier and a bit beyond my capabilities - but I did replace the fan module and saved myself some labour costs at least.

It's a big relief to have air again because we have a young baby and the weather's hot hot hot here at the moment, so thank you again you champions.

Cheers,
    Doug
    Motorgnome likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    We lost huge amount of useful data recently, I'll see if I can find a cached thread that dealt with this one for you. The part you are looking for is in the drivers footwell to the left, remove trim cover to reveal, from memory remove two torx head screws and withdraw the unit. Some here have now had success in replacing the mosfet rather than the whole unit (a few dollars compared with hundreds).

I'll see what I have on my computer at home tonight, if no one else beats me to it

Cheers
    Chris
    I fixed much the same problem quite a while ago, lifted the mosfet, cleaned it well and applied a fresh coatiing of silicone heat transfer gunk [from most electrical supply outlets] I had a new mosfet ready to fit but the old silicone had all but disapeared so thought I'd give the above a go. Been working well ever since and the wiring heat is is well within exceptable levels. It does get quite hot when the mosfet if faulty. Gotta win sometimes.

Tadpole

Default Blower Stuck

Hi
    Car: 2002 C5, 2.2HDI Exclusive Estate 90000 miles.

In short, the air conditioning is stuck on.

Made a short journey to the shops on Sunday about 5 miles. When I pulled up to stop the blower started up
    without me pressing anything. I leave it with the Eco button pressed so that the aircon/climate control is never in
    use, only when I want it to be, which is may be once a year.

It seems that the Eco button now does not work/respond to it being pressed. With the car running the blowers are continuously
    running though the fan sign shows not on at all. The auto button works. The button that controls blower direction works.
    When I first start the car the Eco light is on and it responds to presses for the first 5 to 8 seconds or so but still has no effect on the blower. After that it fails to respond, stays off, and is stuck in some other mode that contiually blows - literally.

I have asked the same question over at http://www.citroen-owners-club.co.uk...=0&#entry58612

I'v tried the undo the battery one but did not fix the issue.

Is it worth changing the Resistor Pack (part 6441L2 - Heater Resist C5/406) as mentioned above?

Is it related?

Any ideas?

Thanx,

deBooza

Is the air conditioning stuck on or is it the interior fan ?
    The blower running with the fan sign showing ‘off’ is caused by the fan control module with the FET as per above, so yes, it would need replacing unless you can replace the transistor separately.

Default Check circut board

Hi I have just recently gone down that path & went with the whole unit replacement at $176.00 as the circut board had damage to the the track and the green 4pin plug.

Cheers

current owners 04 C5 & 06 C3

Tadpole

Default Right

Hi

So, if I change either the MOSFET or the fan module it should fix my problem? Will first get the thing out the car and see if I can fit the MOSFET myself. I can do 'some' soldering but not sure if I can do something really small.

Is it the air con or the blower that is stuck on? I assumed it was one and the same thing, how do I tell?

Thanks for the replies, really helpfull and reassuring,

dBooza.

Quote Originally Posted by deBooza View Post
    Hi
    Is it the air con or the blower that is stuck on? I assumed it was one and the same thing, how do I tell?
    you can have the blower running without the aircon (just blows fresh or recirculated air), but you can't have the aircon running without the blower.
    if you look at the compressor (driver side of the bonnet, you'll see the power steering pump on top, then the alternator, and finally the ac compressor at the bottom) there's a clutch to the left (when looking from the front) of the pulley being driven by the belt. when the compressor is running, the clutch will be engaged (moved closed to the pulley, there is a "click" when it engages). if you have someone press the buttons while you watch you should be able to see it move.

you should ideally see that the compressor only runs when you want it to, in which case the problem will be that the blower always runs. if you reduce the fan speed to 0, the AC should turn off and the blower motor should also stop - if the AC turns off and the blower motor keeps going - that's pretty much definitely the resistor pack.

btw if the AC system is working well, you should feel cold air with the AC and just normal air without AC

Tadpole

Hi

Thought I'd try to eliminate a few things. I disconnected the fan switch, the thing by the clutch pedal. This has stopped the blower. However, the ECO light still behaves the same. On first starting the car the ECO button is responsive but 5 or so seconds later the button stays off.

Anyone know if that means the switch is Ok and that the problem is elsewhere?

deBooza.

Tadpole

Icon12 Jaycar transistor

I went through this exercise today ... the most difficult part is removing the module from the car.
    I bought IRF1405N from Jaycar for $6.95, soldered it in and everything works fine.

This is about the easiest soldering job you can find. Even a novice like me had no problems with it. Just slot the legs into the holes. replace the holder .. don't forget the thermal gunk .. and then 3 drops of solder on the back .. as the french would say .. Voila' . Plug it back into the car and it all works. Total time taken was about 1 hour. Saving in cost about $180 ...

John

2004 C5 HDi

1000+ Posts

Default ??

Quote Originally Posted by deBooza View Post
    Hi

Thought I'd try to eliminate a few things. I disconnected the fan switch, the thing by the clutch pedal. This has stopped the blower. However, the ECO light still behaves the same. On first starting the car the ECO button is responsive but 5 or so seconds later the button stays off.

Anyone know if that means the switch is Ok and that the problem is elsewhere?

deBooza.
    Hi ,
    Perhaps this thread has got a bit confusing with two lots of problems being asked about.

However to answer deBooza. I think that the eco switch is probably ok. It just sends a signal to the body computer. This computer reacts slowly normally and probably takes the 5 or so seconds to respond, decide there is a fault and then turn the button light off. . On mine the change of fan speed takes some seconds to take effect after you press the fan speed.

If the fan runs full speed then the controller(the fan switch) is not working so fix that first. The body computer will be unable to control the fan or the air conditioner if the controller is not responding as it expects.
    Jaahn

Default Aussiefrogs does it again!

Quote Originally Posted by Clogzz View Post
    Found this in the backblocks of the computer, with another mention somewhere else of IRF540N also from Jaycar.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62651

GreenBlood and others thanks for your excellent work on this. The Danish weblink suggests a part (IRFP064N) to replace the faulty component of the fan controller.

I could not find this part however I did a datasheet search and found an alternate. I just bought a MOSFET from Jaycar for $6.95 and replaced this component of the fan speed controller in my Dads C5. Its worked just fine so far despite looking a bit small. The part number is IRF1405.

You will need to spread the legs of the component a little to get it to fit the circuit board and make sure you use a good heat sink grease because these suckers get hot.
    Just did this fix on my heater, worked a treat. Another couple of hundred bucks saved courtesy AF!

well dear friends, i have the problem that at starting the car - the eco lights for 5 sec' and the fan indicator is black for 5 sec' after that - all dies. the fan doesnt work at all at all times. the funny thing that if u start again the car - no lights of eco and no black at the fan indicator. only after engaging and disengaging the security alarm - the fan is black again and the eco light is on for 5 sec.
    i replaced the mosfet (which was OK) by IRFP064N transistor - didnt help.....
    i need your help? could it be that fan motor is stuck ? could it be the fan controller printed circuit ? what to do ? someone told me about cables under the hood that sometimes smolders and shorten everything.

helpppppppppppppppppppppp pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I think you might be at the point where you need to get it scanned by Citroen! That should pin point the fault! I remember xantia's had the same fault and was normally the ignition switch. Yours could be a fault in the bsi or even the other fuse box under the bonnet

Good luck
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

how to look at the BSI or the fuse box under the bonnet ? can u upload some pictures where to look ?

Yes you are on the right track you will probably find that is the issue is the resistor module very easy to replace

Hi Clogzz where is this transistor IRFP064N that you show the picture of where is it located located in the car and what does it do

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information