Xantia low pressure LHM leak- help needed.
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Xantia low pressure LHM leak- help needed.

The CT has sprung a few LHM leaks recently. A new O ring fixed one at the HP pump.
    I now have a LHM drip at a small rubber ( green) Y joiner located just rear of a front cross member right of the exhaust ( drivers side). I gather it is a low pressure 3 way connector as it has two hard clear plastic tubes running from it to the front of the car and a metal tube running from the rear loom. There are no clamps, the 3 tubes just push in.
    Can anyone help with a suggestion for an aftermarket Y connector fix or do I need to get an original rubber Y piece?

Advertisement

UFO

Clear plastic hose by the metre from a hardware store/aquarium type store will do the job. As will garden irrigation connectors. Use of small cable ties to hold it all together is also useful.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Thank you UFO, I will check out the irrigation connectors- I need one Y ( three way) connector.
    LHM will not degrade irrigation connectors I gather?

Fellow Frogger

You can fit whatever works best for you as it's only a LP return. The correct joiner part is available via Citroen dealers if you want it.

Fellow Frogger!

Mini irrigation connectors are the way to go, providing their 4mm diameter is the right size for your application.

Have been using them for 4 - 5 years, with no degradation problems, BUT only as a temporary get home until a convenient fix, so thay have not been in continuous use.

The first was the strut bleed pipes on a BX, which was used for about a month on really hardened pipes during an interstate trip until a new set arrived to replace them once back home. No problems during the duration of the repair.

At less than 50c each, and available in two, three and four legs, I keep a selection in the BX's glovebox.

Remember that any pipe smaller than 4mm will only split if larger fittings are used.

Regards,

Fento

JBN

I have found barbed brass fittings useful for joining new fuel hose to old original hose. This is particularly so where the return hoses come from the bowels of the car to the LHM tank. As they bend around past the hot engine, they become brittle. Then, one day when you remove the LHM tank one of the hoses breaks.

The perfect solution would be to renew the whole rubber hose, which requires dismantling much of the car to get to it. The easier way is to use new fuel hose and a reducing hose joiner to join the old and new hoses.

Pictured below is a Tube Fit Airline Fitting (www.tubefit.com.au) P7R Reducing Hose Joiner #06007-0403 (1/4" - 3/16"). The 1/4" end fits the new (flexible) fuel hose. The 3/16" end fits the old, rigid original rubber hose WITHOUT splitting it. I also slip some heat shrink tube over the join and clamp each hose with a worm drive hose clamp.

I got the fitting from a local Pirtek distributor. It had to be ordered in.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xantia low pressure LHM leak- help needed.-tube-join-1.jpg   Xantia low pressure LHM leak- help needed.-tube-join-2.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

That one failed on my Xantia 2 months back & I used a plastic Y union intended for anti pollution air , short pieces of rubber tubing to join each arm to the pipes.All available from your local auto parts shop.

Cheers, Richard

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by citroenut View Post
    That one failed on my Xantia 2 months back & I used a plastic Y union intended for anti pollution air , short pieces of rubber tubing to join each arm to the pipes.All available from your local auto parts shop.

Cheers, Richard
    I found the problem with plastic fittings (or any material with a constant diameter) was that they were either too big and split the old rubber tube, or too small and didn't provide a good seal. With new rubber tubing, this is no problem as it will stretch over the fitting forming a good seal.

I found that joining old tubes to new tubes a reduction fitting can be the answer.

John

Fellow Frogger!

Thank you all for responses. I went with the brass t tube with reduction barbed male ends, then sleeved with lengths of rubber vacuum hose long enough to insert the male LHM return lines. I wanted a more permanent fix than the micro drip irrigation T fittings. Permanent fix are words best avoided in this day of disposable products ( later model Citroens?). The advent of plastics which become brittle with heat and age put an end to product longevity, the pay off is probably better reliability over a shorter life.
    Did I read an AL4 autobox service life is 160k kms? Which engineer would put their signature on the plastic clip that holds an Xantia clutch cable to pedal... or the crappy heater matrix?
    Part of the "joy" of citroen ownership is to come up with fixes that are as good or better than the original engineered part/design to keep our beasts running. For me sites like aussiefrogs helps make this possible ( rant).

JBN

I agree with you 100%. Buy a used Citroen for a ridiculously cheap price (compared to any other marque with equivalent features). Then execrcise your mind and ingenuity to keep it going as long as possible. AF is the site to back you up with ideas on how others have overcome their problems. A self help centre and support group for people that have made the wrong choice in car is no doubt how a psychologist would describe it.

Give the man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give the man a fishing rod and you feed him for life (old Chinese proverb).

Give the man a Toyota and he has a means of transport. Give the man a Citroen and he becomes an outcast. is considered strange, ends up becoming a mechanic, learns to swear in French, becomes a lousy lover because he is always rooted trying to fix his car, gets a lot of deviants for friends because he joins Aussie Frogs, forces his family to become green and use public transport because the family car is not working at the moment, ...and so it goes. Welcome to the club. You will go to Heaven because you have done youre time in Hell (old Australian proverb).

John
    PS I have had a fishing rod for years, but haven't caught anything yet. So much for proverbs.

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

That's why we have a massey benz (mercedes benz)They drive and sound like tractors, for a backup car, usually not nessecary, usually....

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

Quote Originally Posted by moulton2speed View Post
    Thank you all for responses. I went with the brass t tube with reduction barbed male ends, then sleeved with lengths of rubber vacuum hose long enough to insert the male LHM return lines. I wanted a more permanent fix than the micro drip irrigation T fittings. Permanent fix are words best avoided in this day of disposable products ( later model Citroens?). The advent of plastics which become brittle with heat and age put an end to product longevity, the pay off is probably better reliability over a shorter life.
    Did I read an AL4 autobox service life is 160k kms? Which engineer would put their signature on the plastic clip that holds an Xantia clutch cable to pedal... or the crappy heater matrix?
    Part of the "joy" of citroen ownership is to come up with fixes that are as good or better than the original engineered part/design to keep our beasts running. For me sites like aussiefrogs helps make this possible ( rant).
    Agreed! My Xantia, like others, has three major design failings (a) heater matrix (absurdly bad design, just like our Peugeot 306, which has had the dash out three times since we bought it new 15 years ago),
    front strut mounts (so bad should have been a recall item and noted as such in NZ) and (3) that clutch cable clip that breaks when the clutch wear starts making it heavy (ours is still OK but I keep a spare in glove box with replacement instructions).

To add injury to insult, my Xantia is modern and competent transport and has many years of life in it but I am being told by my local dealer that basic small return line connectors are NLA. I can buy pretty well anything for my 50-60 year-old Renaults........

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I am being told by my local dealer that basic small return line connectors are NLA.
    Which ones? As far as I am aware, the y-pieces (green, orange and blue for different locations) are available, but some of the more involved lines are marked 'NFP' on the parts diagrams and can be a problem. There was something silly like the return set was available for an auto, but not a manual or vice versa - I forget. The difference would be fairly minor, so you'd probably just adapt whichever one is available. At the front, there was one three way on the suspencion returns that changed to a fitted rubber return, which is availabe too.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Which ones? As far as I am aware, the y-pieces (green, orange and blue for different locations) are available, but some of the more involved lines are marked 'NFP' on the parts diagrams and can be a problem. There was something silly like the return set was available for an auto, but not a manual or vice versa - I forget. The difference would be fairly minor, so you'd probably just adapt whichever one is available. At the front, there was one three way on the suspencion returns that changed to a fitted rubber return, which is availabe too.
    Hello David,

My local Citroen dealer tells me those coloured Y pieces are not available. I got some from Continental in Sydney though.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

UFO

I think some dealers use "not available" as a substitute for "I couldn't be bothered to get it in even if you stood there and quoted the exact part number even if I can see it is on the computer". That's just my humble opinion.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    I think some dealers use "not available" as a substitute for "I couldn't be bothered to get it in even if you stood there and quoted the exact part number even if I can see it is on the computer". That's just my humble opinion.
    Hi Craig,

Sad to say, I think you are right. Sad and hardly intelligent business sense.

Cheers and best wishes for 2011.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I agree with you 100%. Buy a used Citroen for a ridiculously cheap price (compared to any other marque with equivalent features). Then execrcise your mind and ingenuity to keep it going as long as possible. AF is the site to back you up with ideas on how others have overcome their problems. A self help centre and support group for people that have made the wrong choice in car is no doubt how a psychologist would describe it.

Give the man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give the man a fishing rod and you feed him for life (old Chinese proverb).

Give the man a Toyota and he has a means of transport. Give the man a Citroen and he becomes an outcast. is considered strange, ends up becoming a mechanic, learns to swear in French, becomes a lousy lover because he is always rooted trying to fix his car, gets a lot of deviants for friends because he joins Aussie Frogs, forces his family to become green and use public transport because the family car is not working at the moment, ...and so it goes. Welcome to the club. You will go to Heaven because you have done youre time in Hell (old Australian proverb).

John
    PS I have had a fishing rod for years, but haven't caught anything yet. So much for proverbs.
    Does the forum have a "post of fame" prize yet?

Thread Information