C5 Help urgent with auto gearshift
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default C5 Help urgent with auto gearshift

Hi All

Need urgent help with my 2003 c5 auto

got into it this morning and it will not go into drive? gearshift appears jammed
    was fine yesterday but i can now only select partial reverse.

what could be wrong with it?

Advertisement

UFO

Do you mean the gearstick will not move

or

The gearstick will move but the only gear that is active seems to be reverse?

They are of course two different challenges addressed in different ways.
    Craig K

1974 D Special 2007 C4 HDi EGS
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Life Member CCC of NSW Inc
    See my Flickr albums of Citroen pics

hi the shift will not move past reverse and even then it is not in the reverse slot, it just will not not move down to drive and feels liked it is locked up

The locking switch pin is preventing movement.
    Craig, perhaps you would like to reply on how to release the pin.
    I must confess to having CRAFT at this moment.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by fluery View Post
    hi the shift will not move past reverse and even then it is not in the reverse slot, it just will not not move down to drive and feels liked it is locked up
    Have a look here, if I can find the pics that were part of this thread I'll post here...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=au

Edit: If you need the car on the road before getting the replacement part, you can drive without the locking pin (i.e. remove the part). The gear shift will be sloppy but will get you mobile until you replace the part.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer
    99 Xsara (auto)

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thanks very much, seems to be exactly the issue. the pics didnt come up though. any chance of seeing these?

Fellow Frogger

The photos for the explanation can't be found at present, but the attached images should explain the problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C5 Help urgent with auto gearshift-c5_gearleverrelease_removesurround_sml.jpg   C5 Help urgent with auto gearshift-c5_gearleverrelease_manualrelease_sml.jpg  

Icon2 C5 Stuck in 'Park' 2002 HDi

A big thanks to David S for his prompt help and very concise info.

Symptom, with foot on brake and ignition on the gear lever will not move beyond reverse (maybe not that far). Probable cause is a spring loaded pin in the gear lever housing has broken and is now obstructing the free movement.

Other causes can be brake switch or more sinister gear linkages. You should be able to hear the brake switch activate (ignition on - place foot on brake pedal).

So, if problem is the spring loaded pin, good news is the part in my case was under $20.00 delivered to my door by Brisbane Citroen. Part number on invoice 2407.78 and of course is the ‘new’ improved version that now should last the life of the car.

As an aside, our car 2002 HDi has travelled about 90k, would be wise to carry this $20.00 part in the glove box. Though as a temporary stopgap, with the failed part removed (i.e. just the broken nylon part) the car can be driven, when in drive the gear will be sloppy, maybe tape off the manual gate? Useful to know if you are stuck in a parking spot, or as another member reported on a boat ramp with no forward gears available

First pic shows the finished job, photos were taken out of sequence but still tell the story.

Remove gear lever, it just pulls up and off, easier said than done but it will shift.

The fake walnut trim is removed by carefully levering with a broad screwdriver, start at the front, lift and pull forward.

Next the silver embellisher, careful leverage and it pops off.

Remove black gear guide trim.

Lift out Rubber Blind, note when re-fitting the slots at front and back.

Remove Blind housing, 2 clips on each side.

Remove gear guide housing – four large Philips heads screws.

Ahh… unit exposed, with a large screwdriver lever the unit up and over the gear lever.

New unit in place, make sure it locks down into position; you’ll hear a click and should see about 1mm. of the white nylon above the unit.

Assembly is a straight forward reverse of above sequence…

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C5 Help urgent with auto gearshift-1-complete.jpg   C5 Help urgent with auto gearshift-2-gear-lever-removed.jpg   C5 Help urgent with auto gearshift-3-walnut-trim-removed.jpg   C5 Help urgent with auto gearshift-4-silver-removed.jpg   C5 Help urgent with auto gearshift-5-black-gear-guide-removed.jpg   C5 Help urgent with auto gearshift-6-rubber-blind-removed.jpg  

C5 Help urgent with auto gearshift-7-unit-exposed.jpg   C5 Help urgent with auto gearshift-8-new-unit-place.jpg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer
    99 Xsara (auto)

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

thanks for the pics. I will have to drive it before getting the replacement part as the cat is blocking my driveway.

cheers

UFO

What a team! I was hoping this was your problem and others have come to your rescue.

I hope you mean the CAR is blocking your driveway and not the CAT!!
    Craig K

1974 D Special 2007 C4 HDi EGS
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Life Member CCC of NSW Inc
    See my Flickr albums of Citroen pics

Fellow Frogger

... the cat is blocking my driveway.
    Is that a big moggy or tabby?

Order the part through a dealer by the part number.

thanks for the pics. I will have to drive it before getting the replacement part as the cat is blocking my driveway. cheers
    Seeing those pictures brought two thoughts to my mind:

1. Lucky they didn't make the gearshift system complicated

2. There's a lot more engineering in these cars per dollar spent than is obvious.

Sounds like this pin is the equivalent of the Xantia clutch cable connector I keep in MY glovebox.

Very impressive response from the Fellow Frogs too!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën Xantia 2.0i 1996
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

Very sad case......

thanks guys, the big moggy didnt move away from the sofa today.

Cats are very smart but badly motivated. The Guiness book of Records is waiting for you to train your moggie to replace a broken gearchange locking pin.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Fellow Frogger!

Default Gear selector lock

Hi
    While we are in this selector area. Perhaps you could look down and see the solonoid lock for the gear selector. You may have to do that some day?
    Has anyone had that fail?? It is the solonoid which prevents you moving the lever out of park unless you have the brake pedal pressed. If can fail on other cars !
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger

It's more likely that the brake switch will fail first and stop the solenoid operating. Always start there or pump the brake pedal fairly hard if it will not come out of park.

Not a bad idea to print off parts of this thread and/or my two pictures and leave them in the glovebox in case you or someone else gets caught out. You'd need to use the manual release trick if you can't start the car and need to push it.

I couldn't have done this but it only took me a few seconds to work out what CRAFT is.

jmn

My 09 C5 has recently manifested this fault. Hesitant to move out of PARK, takes around 15-30 seconds to disengage with foot on the brake. Never heard of this fault on any other car. Dealer mentions the solenoid issue but I'll be sending him this info to make sure they're on the right track.

Congrats to all concerned.

Mark.
    Current:
    2009 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive

Previous
    2003 C5 2.0 auto
    2003 Xsara 1.6 auto
    2000 Xsara 2.0 manual
    1996 306 XR

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by jmn View Post
    My 09 C5 has recently manifested this fault. Hesitant to move out of PARK, takes around 15-30 seconds to disengage with foot on the brake. Never heard of this fault on any other car. Dealer mentions the solenoid issue but I'll be sending him this info to make sure they're on the right track.

Congrats to all concerned.

Mark.
    You have a different problem, although both cars have a similar brake/gear selector interlock. Your dealer will be on the right tack for your car and will most likely change a relay or a switch.

jmn

Thanks for that, David.
    Current:

Previous
    2003 C5 2.0 auto
    2003 Xsara 1.6 auto
    2000 Xsara 2.0 manual
    1996 306 XR

jmn

Progress report:

Dealer doesn't have required part(s) in stock, nor does Ateco. What a surprise. Have to be ordered from France which means the obligatory 2-3 weeks. So far I've managed to finesse it out of Park but I wonder how long this will work and whether I finish up marooned somewhere with a car that can't be moved.

One thing I won't tolerate in a car is "failure to proceed".
    Current:

Previous
    2003 C5 2.0 auto
    2003 Xsara 1.6 auto
    2000 Xsara 2.0 manual
    1996 306 XR

Default C5 jammed in Park

Just as an aside: I very rarely use the Park position, but leave it in Neutral both in the garage and at red lights (to reduce the repair bill if shunted from behind).

jmn

Final progress report:

Car taken to service last Monday. Relay/solenoid/thingmebob replaced, problem solved.
    Incidentally, I googled some key words and voila! Seems that this is far from an isolated problem. Dozens of "hits" across all makes of cars.

Imagine that, a problem that french cars didn't pioneer!
    Current:

Previous
    2003 C5 2.0 auto
    2003 Xsara 1.6 auto
    2000 Xsara 2.0 manual
    1996 306 XR

Tadpole

Just had this problem to day in my 2003 V6 C5, Got into the car after work and could not get it out of park.

Was following steps from GreenBlood got to step: "Remove black gear guide trim." Problem wires to Sport/Snow not long enough to stretch black plate over gear lever. Eventual got it over but in the process snapped 2 wires of the circuit board for the sport/snow buttons very annoying

On the plus side it does just appear to be the spring loaded pin, as soon as I took that out i could get it out of park and drive home.

I think I will be taking it to my local Citroen mechanic tomorrow morning to see if he can fix it, dunno how to get wires back on also don't understand how to get new spring pin in, couldn't figure how to remove blind housing so left it at that.

Tadpole

Default C5 Shiftlock

Many many thanks Chris for your prompt response.
    I have it back together again and ready for morning duties. I realy appreciate the help
    you gave and the interest of other frogers. I was not too concerned when stuck in Park as
    I had a similar experience many years ago in a CX when I had a Solenoid die. Both times it
    happened in my garage so not too inconvenient.
    However it must be a bit of a scare to the first timers.
    Regards,
    David

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information