Citroen Ebay listings.. - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 80 First 1234561252 ... Last
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Citroen Ebay listings..

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Nothing like a bit of idle specluation about someone else's problem!

(Re the C5 a copuple of posts up ...)
    In my limited experience, every cam belt failure I can recall has been because something else failed rather than the cam belt simply snapping. All of the failures I can recall have been due to water pump or tensioner failures or the auxiliary belt came loose first and made the cam belt skip a few teeth. All of these are more likely due to neglect or lack of awareness rather than being plain unlucky.

In this case, for $1,200 they've presumably changed more than just the timing belt and it didn't fix it. Sounds like it's pretty close to being a parts car though and the buyer will find more than they bargain for. You'd want to inspect it unless it sells for a silly low price. You will only know for sure if the piston, rod and/or crank are damaged by removing the head and checking the piston crown versus the deck height of the block. Since the bores are part of the block and the pistons are matched to the block, a damaged piston presents something of a problem!
    ...hmmm, I'm of the opinion that this information comes under the AF mantra of 'Sharing the knowledge'?

When our car had a failing crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer it started making quite a racket, I cut the belt asked a few questions here, had a poor attempt at fixing and again on advise given here put the car on a tow truck to our Citroen dealer and for good measure had the tensioners/ cam belt and water pump replaced at the same time.

Advertisement

This is surely what we are about, anyone reading this who is ignoring warnings can clearly see the outcome with this sellers misfortune? Sadly we won't have improved the value of this particular car with this discussion.

I am more the wiser for your input, let's hope it saves others the same heartache.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Tadpole

That chap with the CX GTi Turbo really needs to have a look underneath...nine years can do a lot of damage - it's started to go on top so it'll most probably be going underneath too. Shame, as those S1 T1s are rare.
    Franklin.
    2010 Citroen C4 By Loeb - Limited Edition No 1490
    1986 Citroen CX 25 Prestige - Roger Bradford's Prestige
    1985 Citroen CX 25 GTi Turbo - Series 1
    1976 Citroen CX Rally Car - 1977 London To Sydney Replica

2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Citroening View Post
    That chap with the CX GTi Turbo really needs to have a look underneath...nine years can do a lot of damage - it's started to go on top so it'll most probably be going underneath too. Shame, as those S1 T1s are rare.
    Us Aussies just don't get that at all.... CX's don't rust out here "underneath" at all. If there rusty, it's on the top part for everyone to see That's why I always jump up and down saying "check it underneath" whenever a car not sold in Australia gets advertised out here. My imported CX was rusty where the two layers of metal meet under the front floors for example.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I hear what you are saying, but if I had a known, reliable, way of inspecting and transporting from the UK, I would have placed a bid.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    ...lovely looking car too. Very nice indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Us Aussies just don't get that at all.... CX's don't rust out here "underneath" at all. If there rusty, it's on the top part for everyone to see That's why I always jump up and down saying "check it underneath" whenever a car not sold in Australia gets advertised out here. My imported CX was rusty where the two layers of metal meet under the front floors for example.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    ...they love to rust everywhere here in the UK - give 'em chance and the glass will rust too!
    One of my favourite pictures that I've taken of rusty CXs is this one here.
    Franklin.
    2010 Citroen C4 By Loeb - Limited Edition No 1490
    1986 Citroen CX 25 Prestige - Roger Bradford's Prestige
    1985 Citroen CX 25 GTi Turbo - Series 1
    1976 Citroen CX Rally Car - 1977 London To Sydney Replica

and that bonnet's on a Prestige
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 78 GS Pallas; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Definitely not an Activa.

I posted the VIN into Citroen Service and it has responded that it is a XANTIA 5 DOOR SALOON 2.0 i 8v Turbo Manual gearbox 5. No hydraulic RAMS in the front anti-roll bar area either. So I have sent him a question as below. I will see if I get a response. I don't like the way the boot is sitting either - I reckon the roof is buckled.

Does this Xantia really have the Activa anti-roll suspension? When I feed the VIN number into Citroen Service, it says the type of car is a XANTIA 5 DOOR SALOON 2.0 i 8v Turbo Manual gearbox 5. Diagrams of the front suspension for this Series 1 Xantia do not have the hydraulic rams that a real Activa has.

Cheers,

Ken W

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    270K eh. I'd be very wary, even at $10. There are plenty of good secondhand cars around that don't need fixing. And the need for major item fixing can sometimes come from neglect (of everything) as well as from bad luck.
    Well the C5 is now well beyond your $10.00 limit sitting at $610.00 with one hour to go (may not have met it's reserve).

More info suggests the transmission has been overhauled (one year ago), and that the car was driven to the mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebay Q and A
    Q: Hello, Is this car currently registered? Can it be carefully driven, at all? Have C5hdi, and would love to save another from scrapping, so am actyually very interested. Thanks Jacki 26-Dec-10
    A: the car is registered but i would have to sell it unregistered-its not driveable at the moment. before it was taken to the workshop it was going at max 40km-i believe there is no compression on 1 cylinder & i'm not clear if it starts or not now. the mechanic can't really say what's wrong with the engine till he opens it up. the car would have to be towed. it does have fairly new tyres & was, believe it or not recently serviced. the transmission was overhauled not too long ago. i recently damaged the left rear door in a carpark & it won't open now. there are also two dents to the rear left pillar. there is a minor electrical alert on the dash saying washer fluid is empty when it is in fact full. underneath the front bumper is cracked-tried plastic welding that but it didn't work & if you wanted a perfect car it would have to be replaced. the bumper also has stone-chip marks which could be painted over. i did love this car-lovely finishes inside & very comfortable.
    Still, probably a parts car given David S's advice...

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Fellow Frogger

You might still get lucky and find that C5 has broken only a couple of rockers! Depends if they got into it that far or just changed the timing belt etc. and then assumed the worst. You don't need to remove the cam to check this.

Icon11 Citroen cx 2500d reflex

...seems most of the cars I'm posting here are in Brisbane

How about a CX Safari Diesel?? $400.00 3 days to run and a stack of spares...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CITROEN-CX-25...item3f0617d627

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    ...seems most of the cars I'm posting here are in Brisbane

How about a CX Safari Diesel?? $400.00 3 days to run and a stack of spares...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CITROEN-CX-25...item3f0617d627

Cheers
    Chris
    I was thinking about posting this link but decided not to because I am after this car and don't want anybody else to know about it

I went to see this car couple of months ago. It certainly hasn't got rust, but welding the new front sounds like a tricky manouver to me. The diesel engine has got a broken inlet manifold, maybe the engine had tipped over when sitting on the concrete floor.
    Needs a new windscreen, lights, indicators, bonnet and right side front guard at least. The rear left door (notice, a long wagon door and more difficult to find a replacement) was damaged when the car was on the wreckers yard.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by kimmo View Post
    I was thinking about posting this link but decided not to because I am after this car and don't want anybody else to know about it
    Sorry kimmo, I'd be equally peeved if it were a car I was interested in

There are quite a few orphans appearing on Ebay, and cars like this one deserve to find a caring home rather than being scrapped. I thought about you and Andy N when I saw the ad, hope it does find an enthusiast to care for it.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Don't worry Chris. That listing is for a connoiseours only and they probably know about it already.

Maybe it would be better if someone else got it...I dont think my dear wife would be too happy if another CX appears in the property.
    Last edited by kimmo; 30th December 2010 at 03:07 PM.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

I'm half tempted to get it myself and embellish my Familiale with the parts that are available. I've seen it, but it would be a job and a half just getting it home and finding a place for it, eventhough it's a suburb away.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    I'm half tempted to get it myself and embellish my Familiale with the parts that are available. I've seen it, but it would be a job and a half just getting it home and finding a place for it, eventhough it's a suburb away.
    The vendor will assist with relocating it anywhere in Brisbane... I've only seen the pics and his description which suggests it would be quite a project but is it really a parts only car?

I love them, but I'd only be allowed to bring home a late model going concern, and I'd still get a jolly good thrashing from my lovely wife

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Projects have never been my forté, as I have little to no time for DIY antics that go beyond simple characteristics, adjustments and repairs - I get the professionals for that sort of thing.

I would only get it for parts, and there's a terrible lot of them from what I saw. The owner is quite mechanically-minded.

I bought my CX wagon from the same chap. You still have to hire a trailer to drag it onto, but he's certainly got a vehicle that'll tow it off his front yard.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

There is one mystery bid on eBay already. As much as I would love to have that as a project, I won't go into a bidding war for it.
    I have got a GS wagon that I could restore for less effort ( probably needs just a paintjob and couple of little mechanical bits to sort out) if I desperately needed an economical wagon. Though, GS wagon would probably fit inside the mighty CX
    CX Register

Icon3

There is one mystery bid on eBay already. As much as I would love to have that as a project, I won't go into a bidding war for it.
    I have got a GS wagon that I could restore for less effort ( probably needs just a paintjob and couple of little mechanical bits to sort out) if I desperately needed an economical wagon. Though, GS wagon would probably fit inside the mighty CX
    Sold for $465.00 anyone here?

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

I hate this thread, as I have a spare car space at the moment....

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Sold for $465.00 anyone here?

Cheers
    Chris
    Yeah. I now have a challenge of finding space for all the parts and preparing a reasonably dry storage for the body.
    CX Register

Good on you Kimmo....well done.

Cheers...George 1/8th

(Re the C5 a couple of posts up ...)
    In my limited experience, every cam belt failure I can recall has been because something else failed rather than the cam belt simply snapping. All of the failures I can recall have been due to water pump or tensioner failures or the auxiliary belt came loose first and made the cam belt skip a few teeth.

All of these are more likely due to neglect or lack of awareness rather than being plain unlucky.
    ![/QUOTE]

Hey David,....this worries me. How the hell can a loose auxilary belt make the Cam Belt "skip a few teeth".
    Forgive me but this sounds extremely unlikely/improbable/impossible. The cambelt is housed in a protective casing and cannot come into contact at all with the accessory belt. If the cam belt was loose then "maybe" there was a timing problem on the horizon anyway.
    A seizure of the water pump or tensioner pulley could do it, but not the auxillary belt.

BTW. One thing I found on my Xantia was that you cannot use the timing marks on the harmonic balance when timing the cambelt because over time the harmonic balance slips out of timing alignment from the belt action caused from driving the HP pump. The pump resists the torque from the H'balance as it switches in and out and this creates the slippage in the H'balance, so it goes out in regard to the timing marks.
    I had to ignore the H'bal timing marks and go by the crank position, as it cannot 'go out'. The crank position can be determined by the woodruff key position , approx 3 or 4 o'clock.
    Had I followed the manual and believed the markings on the H'bal I would have killed the engine as soon as I started it up.
    Just something to watch out for.
    Cheers...George 1/8th

Icon3

Yeah. I now have a challenge of finding space for all the parts and preparing a reasonably dry storage for the body.
    Great result kimmo, nice to see genuine commitment

For what it's worth, D(very)Special is housed in one of those carport things you buy from Supercheap $176.00 complete with full sides front and back zip doors, I've dynabolted it to the pavers and so far it has handled all the big winds and storms Brisbane has thrown at it. The D fits with enough room to open doors on both sides, and a few metres front and back, I reckon it would make a good makeshift spray-booth

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroen Ebay listings..-carport.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Page 2 of 80 First 1234561252 ... Last

Thread Information