C4 Tyres
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: C4 Tyres

don

Icon7 C4 Tyres

Just replaced the tyres on my C4 coupe VTR

Advertisement

The michelins gave me 65K a pretty good effort.

The car is now shod with Pirelli P7s. Much quieter and a little softer ride than the miches. Still quite sticky if not better in the wet but a little less feel than the miches in dry conditions.
    Overall a very pleasing result except for the pocket of course.

Default Pirrelli P7 tyres

I had them fitted to my C5 & they are close to being replaced only doing 20000 ks, will be interrested in the amount you get when they require replacement.

Tadpole

Had the P7's fitted to my C4 VTS, have done about 30K and should make 50K easy. They've been a great tyre that suits the C4, a very quite tyre, good in the dry and the wet. The Michi's are better, but not by much and are way dearer.

Default Replacements tyres for C4 VTS

I'm just about to replace the OEM Michelin Pilot Exalto tyres on my C4 VTS. Got 5 years and 57K out of them so pretty happy given they were not designed with Sydney's terrible roads in mind!! I considered the Pirelli P7s as the replacements, but narrowed my options down to the Pirelli PZero Rosso Assimetrico or Michelin Pilot Sport 3.

Thanks to some great feedback over at C4 Owners forum, I've decided to go with the PS3s and should have them fitted this week. Additionally, I'm going to use nitrogen inflation to try and maximise the life of the tyres. Never used it before so I'll be interested to see how well it works?
    2005 Jaune Scott VTS 180 (built 28/1/05), K&N Typhoon Induction Kit, Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers | Build Thread

C4Owners.org Premier Club Member#19249
    Citroen Car Club of NSW Inc Member - 2013/14 Committee Member and Editor of "The Chevrons"
    Australian Racing Drivers' Club Member
    facebook.com/cccnsw

UFO

I reckon nitrogen inflation works very well - for the profit line of the tyre retailer. ; )
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by CamM View Post
    ... Got 5 years and 57K out of them...........I've decided to go with the PS3s and should have them fitted this week.
    This will be interesting to compare the relative longevity of the ps3.

If I get one year/15k km out of my front pair of PS3 I'll be lucky.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    I reckon nitrogen inflation works very well - for the profit line of the tyre retailer. ; )
    I hear you Craig, however it's costing me the princely sum of $5/tyre for the life of the rubber to try it out and see if it actually makes a difference. The deal is that I can take it back to the tyre place at any time (without an appointment) and they will redo the nitrogen fill at no cost, so literally you only pay for the first fill.

Spoke to a few dealers about it. Some sing its praises to the masses, others are more reserved about the "real world" benefits. The common theme is more consistent tyre pressure and hence, reduced damage to the tyre due to under/over inflation. I guess time will tell...

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    This will be interesting to compare the relative longevity of the ps3.
    If I get one year/15k km out of my front pair of PS3 I'll be lucky.
    Hmm... that doesn't sound promising Jo. What model have you got your PS3s fitted to?
    2005 Jaune Scott VTS 180 (built 28/1/05), K&N Typhoon Induction Kit, Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers | Build Thread

Citroen Car Club of NSW Inc Member - 2013/14 Committee Member and Editor of "The Chevrons"
    facebook.com/cccnsw

Hmm... that doesn't sound promising Jo. What model have you got your PS3s fitted to?
    A renault fuego.
    I drive too fast.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    A renault fuego.
    I drive too fast.
    There's hope yet for my PS3s then

facebook.com/cccnsw

Fox
    Tadpole

Just a quick question on the air pressure in the tyres. There are 2 labels on my car door. 1 is the french one which says 2.7 bars which is about 39 psi. There is also a second australian label which says 35 psi front and 30 psi rear. The tyres are 16" Michelin Energy.

Fox
    Tadpole

Anyone have any recommendations on Tyre pressures for C4 1.6 Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The one on the door that has the Australian Design Rules info on it.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Factory specified pressures for the C4 are:

Normal load
    Front: 2.4 bar (35 psi) / Rear: 2.4 bar (35 psi)

Heavy load
    Front: 2.4 bar (35 psi) / Rear: 2.7 bar (39 psi)

Spare wheel
    2.7 bar (39 psi)

Curious that the Australian label is different from the factory label.

I'm just about to replace the OEM Michelin Pilot Exalto tyres on my C4 VTS. Got 5 years and 57K out of them so pretty happy given they were not designed with Sydney's terrible roads in mind!! I considered the Pirelli P7s as the replacements, but narrowed my options down to the Pirelli PZero Rosso Assimetrico or Michelin Pilot Sport 3.

Thanks to some great feedback over at C4 Owners forum, I've decided to go with the PS3s and should have them fitted this week. Additionally, I'm going to use nitrogen inflation to try and maximise the life of the tyres. Never used it before so I'll be interested to see how well it works?
    Hi CamM - How did the Nitrogen go?

It's too early yet to give any real verdict. The tyre pressures seem to be relatively stable so far which is a positive, but I'm really expecting the benefits - if any - to be more long term (i.e. tyre life, more even wear etc).

As mentioned in an earlier post, the nitrogen is a bit of an experiment that is relatively inexpensive to trial (I paid $5/tyre) when compared to spending $280 per corner on tyres. If the nitrogen makes a difference, then brilliant! If it doesn't, then it's not been an expensive exercise.

As for the tyres themselves, I've been very happy so far with the PS3's - great ride quality and surprisingly quiet. I went for drive the other day along the back roads through Wisemans Ferry to Gosford and then back down the F3. More often than not, when I turned the stereo and A/C off I could only hear wind or engine noise rather than any road noise. Rather impressed!

facebook.com/cccnsw

I've been very happy so far with the PS3's - great ride quality and surprisingly quiet.... Rather impressed!
    Agreed, they are damn comfy.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by Simon888 View Post
    Hi CamM - How did the Nitrogen go?
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I thought it might be worthwhile to offer a quick update on my experience to date with nitrogen inflation in my Michelin Pilot Sport 3's. It's been almost 4 months now since I had this tyre/inflation combo installed on the VTS and I would have easily done about 4000kms in that time.

The PS3's themselves have been fantastic tyres so far and although they're not the cheapest to purchase, I can highly recommend them to anyone else. My VTS handles exceptionally well in all conditions and at this rate, I would back up for another set once these ones eventually wear out.

As far as the nitrogen inflation is concerned, the single most obvious benefit I've identified is the remarkable stability of the tyre pressures. I've regularly checked the tyre pressures and did so again today. 4 months on and they've not budged - quite impressed with that!! Assuming my experience of zero pressure change in 4 months is consistent for others, then in theory, I could have neglected checking my tyre pressures for 4 months and I would have still been fine. I can't help but feel that this would help out (in the long run) with ensuring more even tyre wear and potentially improved tyre life. The idealist in me says that the same - or very similar - result could be achieved through standard air inflation and frequent pressure checks, however the realist in me says that many people won't be that dedicated and will simply check the pressures when they think about it (or when the tyre pressure sensors tell them to do it!! :-d ). I think the nitrogen inflation can afford people the luxury to not perform the weekly pressure check without it coming back to bite them in the backside. Is that worth the additional (minor) outlay when purchasing a new set of tyres? I'd say that's up to the individual to decide.

facebook.com/cccnsw

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Cold 41 in front and 38 in rear.

Tyres wear evenly across the tread and corner superbly.

I got 80,000 rear before they scalloped and 90,000 front.

I fyou use the recommended aussie pressures you will wear out the edges long before due.

Best regards

Trevor G

Hey Guys,
    Just put on a set of PS3's myself. Very nice indeed. Great grip in both dry and wet. Not sure if the benefit of the Nitro yet. It would be interesting to see how it goes in the summer with the higher heat.

Tadpole

From what I've been told the molecule of nitrogen is larger than air hence less chance to escape from the tyres and therefore hold the pressure.

Air change the temperature and expand more than nitrogen therefore running cooler and more stable on a long and hard drive.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by dogbarkdxm View Post
    From what I've been told the molecule of nitrogen is larger than air hence less chance to escape from the tyres and therefore hold the pressure.

Air change the temperature and expand more than nitrogen therefore running cooler and more stable on a long and hard drive.
    Er, who told you that? An air molecule?

Air is a combination of several different elements. There's no such thing as an air molecule.

Air is made up of 78% nitrogen, 20% oxygen and traces of a few other elements.

For the speeds that road cars operate at there is no benefit at all to using nitrogen.

Quote Originally Posted by Surditas View Post
    Er, who told you that? An air molecule?

Air is a combination of several different elements. There's no such thing as an air molecule.

Air is made up of 78% nitrogen, 20% oxygen and traces of a few other elements.

For the speeds that road cars operate at there is no benefit at all to using nitrogen.
    Suditas - You might want to read this article, and it's only one of a bunch you can find on the web. Yes, Nitrogen molecules are larger than regular air molecules (apparently).
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...instead-of-air
    OR
    http://www.bobjane.com.au/faq/faqID/10.html?sid=
    OR
    http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars...ogen_for_tyres

Quote Originally Posted by Simon888 View Post
    Suditas - You might want to read this article, and it's only one of a bunch you can find on the web. Yes, Nitrogen molecules are larger than regular air molecules (apparently).
    Ah, so we've moved from air molecules to "regular air" molecules.

This is fascinating.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Sorry guys there's no such thing as an "air" molecule. Air is mostly nitrogen and the rest oxygen. The effect on tyres might be to do with oxygen and hence oxidation or even water molecules. Water molecules are a common reasons for degradation of plastics and possibly rubber. My guess is that this might be the reason why nitrogen inflation is better. I deal with these pesky water molecules on a daily basis! Opening up tiny gaps between the long rubber chain molecules, helping O2 and N2 molecules escape?! If we talking sizes both O2 and N2 molecules are about the same size, a water molecule is about 50% bigger than both O2 or N2 molecule. Whoah nerd out

Fellow Frogger!

As an ex aviation techo we used nitrogen for two reasons
    1. Stability of tyre pressure in that it was more stable than using just compressed air.
    2. High temperatures generated by the braking after landing were not a problem that could have occured if just air was used. less chance of blowing.
    For a motorist tyre pressure stability is the only advantage unless your driving around as if your doing a bathurst race and on the brakes all the time.
    Oh also the nitrogen molecular structure is larger than the normal air mix.
    Another advantage is that using nityrogen in the tyres will slow down the deteriation of the tyre rubber compound due to ozone.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information