Citroen Drive Europe: Advice wanted please
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Default Citroen Drive Europe: Advice wanted please

Anyone who has used this service, can you please tell me the pros and cons ie: hidden costs, advantages, experiences, what you would do in hindsight etc... much obliged.

Advertisement
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique Borg Warner
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive Automatique AM6
    C3 II 2010 Automatique AL4
    Peugeot Boxer Van hired from T.....y, that was manual!
    and bloody good too!

DS

Effortless, completely. I found no hidden issues and it worked out cheaper than a hire car. I did 2800km in a 1.4 turbo diesel C3 so was just short of needing to have it serviced. I did it in 2005.

The UFO's have just done same and did many more kms.

So if you're just shy of the kilometers due for a service, say a fewhundred K's , you don't need to service it?

and bloody good too!

Default Do it!

We did the drive europe thing in 2006 and would definitely do it again.
    The longer you have the car the cheaper it gets per day.
    We were able to stretch to a top of the range C4 2 dr 2litre T/Diesel with Satnav for the price of hiring some base model petrol car.
    The only additional cost were servicing & fuel, but our 1000km service was free and we didn't hit the next service interval.
    The car came with 1/2hr personalised instruction session by an eccentric frenchman in a white labcoat at the Paris Dealer, and only had the 6 delivery kms on it. It truly was brand new.
    We did 9000km (at 6 l/100km) over 8 weeks through europe & UK. When we handed it back on the due date it had a small carpark ding in the door & the day before the panoramic glass roof cracked from end to end (for no notable reason & with a huge bang) but these things weren't an issue & we incurred no cost.
    On thing that was stressed was to have the car back by the due date. It is basically a lease car that you hand back.
    A good opportunity to test drive a car you might like to own one day

Cheers

Darren

I first did it in 1990 with an AX.
    The system still works well: I've recently done it with a C3 Picasso, and can strongly recommend it.
    Picked up in Paris, dropped off in Barcelona for an extra fee, but still very convenient.
    If you look into the prices of rentals, you can see the advantage immediately.
    The service intervals are so long these days that you're unlikely to have to organise that.
    I did 5000 km in a bit over 4 weeks, and unless you're driving all day every day, it's hard to see how you'd rack up enough to have the worry.

UFO

The recent trip was our 2nd eurolease arranged via the lovely Michelle at Eurogroup in Perth.

First time was a C4 EGS - simple - no catches.

This time was DS3 HDi and it was a great little car, with the emphasis on little.

For two adults and medium size suitcases it was tight - not for us but the luggage.

I intend writing a full report for our club magazine and may also provide it to other clubs.

The beauties of the eurolease system are:

• NO hidden costs - you pay for the lot before you go in A$
    • You can pay on your Aus credit cards and earn points on your Frequent Dreamer card
    • Drive it around the block or around Europe - no excess distance charges
    • I think the first service for most Cits is now 15k km or 20k km, so if you do this much you can expect to arrange a service, but hey, by this time you have saved so much over having hire cars....
    • You get the car you chose from the long list. Your only non choice is colour. Often they are silver, black or some other neutral colour as these then sell well into the market.
    • As you get the car you chose you can budget your fuel costs - if you hire you could get up or downgraded and end up with petrol when you want diesel. I think we paid ~ 1.25euro/litre for diesel and petrol was about 1.45/l - and of course you typically go further on diesel
    • All Citroens now have a decent GPS fitted - we still took our TomTom as we had the maps and the destinations plotted. The in car GPS is not quite as good as the tomtom for options (eg no speed camera warnings)
    • The car is rego'd and insured in your name - all your family with valid licences are allowed to drive it. If you are travelling with friends I am sure they do something for you.
    • Full road side service is provided if you need it
    • The car is brand new - delivery km - I think ours had 8km on it
    • Pick up is easy at the determined pickup points
    • Return is even easier
    • If you want to extend you can with sufficient notice, but the price per day becomes "hire car" like

I think that will do for pros.

Cons -

• well you must plan your trip so that you are not paying huge fees to park your car in a major city - eg parking in Paris can cost 35euro/night which is more than your car per day in some cases - so if you want to stay in a major city such as Paris, plan it for one end of your trip or perhaps it may work to say have a car for six weeks, stay in Paris for two, then get another car!
    • The cars have red plates with silver text - this can label you as a tourist for those in the know OR people wonder where the hell you are from and forgive you your driving trespasses!

And last but not least, as you are an Aussiefrog, you may well qualify for a discount! See

http://www.eurogroup.com.au/citroen.html

Do I sound like I love the service?

YES!

GOOD!!

Happy to answer more questions.

BTW - 6657 km in 5 weeks. Yes we are crazy.
    Last edited by UFO; 2nd November 2010 at 09:19 AM.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thank you for the feedback. I'm aiming for June July 2011, and we're exchanging the house in Queensland for one in Perpignan. Noice!
    The C4 seems to be best value on Eurodrive.

and bloody good too!

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. I'm aiming for June July 2011, and we're exchanging the house in Queensland for one in Perpignan. Noice!
    I just did a 5 week trip in July and leased a C4 Picasso top of the line and it was brilliant. Brand new car, easy pick up and extra easy drop off. There are no hidden costs, the service was a 10k so no issue. Sat Nav is a must an it includes all of Europe, even had Greece!

I picked up in Paris and dropped off in Milan. I took advantage of the early bird specials and got 9 dyas free and reduced drop off fee, much cheaper than a hire car and better insurance.

The only con was there was no drop off in greece so had to end my trip in italy so had to add ferry costs to the equation.
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:47 (16V) 2019
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

Like others have said, more pros than cons

2007 C4 diesel 1.6 litre Auto/(paddle shift)
    NEW ..4km's on clock + 10 litres of fuel to start. ( I google- mapped prior to leaving Oz to find nearest fuel supply)
    Short demo from French-speaking mechanic ..then "turn left at bottom of ramp" and we were on our own!
    Traveled in July, paid Early bird in Melbourne in December prior
    Aprox $3500?? all up ( $1700-1800 for first 17 days) cheaper the longer we kept it...but MUST be returned by due date..see earlier post.

77 days: Paris, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden ( World meeting 2cv), Norway, Sweden, Ferry to East Germany, Bavaria, Austria, Italy, French Alps and lap of France via west coast/Brittany, Loire valley and back to Paris.

14,700+ kms driven, ( first service in Denmark @ 1500kms-Free) next service due @ 15000kms and we would have been liable for this one at several hundred Euros..so we refused an offer to visit friends in Belgium at the end of the trip!

Engine took about 5000kms to loosen up. Averaged 4.5 -5.0 litres/100Km..... including bursts of more than 140Kph on German Autobahns.

Incidents x 3:
    1/ Having to quickly get out of the way of a siren/police car in Denmark .. the car in front of me and I dived into the kerb. I collected his mirror with mine..no damage to C4 but I stuffed his one.
    He was OK with this and I insisted on going to the Police station with him for a report to ensure that he was paid for damage. Mailed accident papers back to Paris.

2/ Denmark..A drunk punched our windscreen whilst walking past and cracked the laminated screen ( was it the Tourist Plates??) Phoned Paris and arranged for same-day replacement in Stockholm for 2 days later ( actually saved me expensive city parking fees) Paperwork dealt with at screen repairer.

3/ Southern France. I decided that a shortcut back to the B&B should not be troubled by a closed road!
    I ended up having to drive around a pile of rubble and scraped the sill panel..Minor damage.
    Did not report this but handed the completed incident form to the dealer when returning car in Paris. No questions asked.

No Excess/ no cost/ no hassle with any of this..a definite PRO. Plus the 24 /7 roadside assistance.

All up..a very positive and recommended process.

We go to a friends apartment in Paris every year or two( 6 weeks 2010, 9 weeks 2011 )
    We will hire a Europcar next year for about 1 week/10 days to get to the 2cv world meeting in Loire Valley. (Cheaper than Citroen Lease with minimum 17 days)...Rental rate is OK after about 4 days ..but you should see the $$$$$ excess/waivers etc!!!! ( would you like Fries with that?) Travel insurance covers some of this.

You don't need a car in Paris and you can't afford to park one!!!

Hope this helps

Cheers
    Bob
    Last edited by greenfrog; 3rd November 2010 at 08:18 AM.

Thank you all for your input. Seems very positive, no bad experiences so far....

and bloody good too!

This is an excellent product with only two negatives.
    There is a minimum period.
    Your car is a magnet for thieves taking advantage of obvious tourists who leave more of value in their cars than your average local.
    I explained its economics on a previous thread, hopefully only temporarily lost. Thes cars are provided new on tax exempt plates under a law intended to encourage tourism and to give visitors a driving experience in new French cars. Your 'lease' is technically a guaranteed buy back. Assuming that you qualigy for the minimum period of use when you 'sell' it back it can then be sold on in the local market without tax having to be paid. Net result, if the leasing company sells it at a 20% discount on new retail after your few thousand kms that is a zero cost to them and your leasing charge is pure profit. as a result they can do this at much lower costs than car hire. The real cost is paid by the French taxpayer but as tourism and car manufacture are important cash earners for the country, the gift is considered a positive investment.

As they are selling the car on virtually as new, it has to the retain the manufactuer's warranty which is void if the car is not serviced at the correct intervals by their agents. So if you are using it beyond the first free service you have to take a couple of hours out of your schedule to get it done. This is painless because the dealers are geared up for it and give red plate cars priority. So just ring ahead to the agent in the handbook at your next destination and tell them you are coming. they will give you a cup of coffee and do the service while you wait.

I have used these leases several times and they have worked absolutely sans soucis. The car was ready at the airport with minimal paperwork and delay and the return was equally simple.

[QUOTE=gerry freed;901740]
    This is an excellent product with only two negatives.
    There is a minimum period.
    Your car is a magnet for thieves taking advantage of obvious tourists who leave more of value in their cars than your average local.
    Gerry is spot-on..the Red/Silver tourist plates are a dead giveaway for thieves........
    Check your travel insurance ..most will NOT cover stuff left in car overnight and in other circumstances...so yes, you are a more likely target?
    Increased risk when you are "travelling"/fully loaded and park in a City or tourist-site car park.

But hey, for us, 77 days.in all sorts of places...no loss

I reckon the Paris pick-pockets are a greater risk!

I concluded that the ( honest) general French rural locals often did not recognise that the plates were "tourist scheme". I assume they may not see that many and may not know about the scheme ? since it is not available to EU residents.
    However they all recognised the last 2 digits "75" as indicating the car was from Paris and often commented on this, or how far away we were from there etc. ( Paris' 20 arrondissment/postcodes are 75001 - 75020)

Unlike Australia, french plates have generally looked all the same in size /colour etc but the last 2 digits on the plates indicated the region where the car was registered. (eg. we stay in Levallois-Perret a paris suburb just over the peripherique. Levallois code is 62300 and so Levallois number plates end in 62 etc )
    I noticed that French regional boot-repairers/locksmiths/similar had the Dies/Press.... and locals took their Rego papers to them to have the aluminium number plates made.

Go for it ..it is a great way to have a car.

Bob
    Last edited by greenfrog; 3rd November 2010 at 09:29 AM.

UFO

Regional coded plates are not issued in France now. Our car had no ID that indicated it was from Paris.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Regional coded plates are not issued in France now. Our car had no ID that indicated it was from Paris.
    Thanks for the info.
    Hmm. makes sense. (That's why I sort of used past-tense)
    I noticed a few newer cars in Levallois/Paris last July (2010) with a new configuration of numbers. Of course there are still millions of old regional ID plates around.

Bob

Is the C1 on the car list?

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Greenfrog for the rundown on regional coding. At the risk of dating myself it's a bit of shame coding like this be it in France or even here is becoming a thing of the past.

In Victoria if you damaged your number plates once upon a time they'd make you a replacment set.
    A few years ago they did away with this (and had a run of number plates made in Qld so the spacing looked different). Once upon a time a "new" numberplate on a car was a bit of a giveaway that something was up. Nowadays lazy bastards somewhere (I blame Steve Bracks and John Brumby) and there's no order at all. Possibly much the same with phone numbers. Once these were a pretty good guide to where you were located.

A bit like old popsongs where you could almost place what you were doing at the time they came out. It's sadly been years since I tied a song into a certain year

I hired/leased a Peugeot 205Gti way back in 1989 and it was the best thing I could of done!
    In 30 days it clocked up 9500km's with a starting point of 9km.
    Went places that many tourists can't get to as they are too far from railway stations etc. Nice places such as spectating at the 1000 Lakes Rally, which included driving a few stages before they were closed and getting a 'wee' bit of air time.
    Lapping the Nurburgring was a highlight as was the oil and water temps at 145 and 115C with smoke coming off ALL four brakes and tyres that turned to jelly. Nothing quite like doing the Carousel at 160km/h on the limiter in fourth.
    Factory top speed was 206km/h but a long downhill gradient on an Autobahn got me 215km/h and no more as the limiter was going berserk at 6900RPM.
    When the car was returned to Charles De Gaulle airport it was late Saturday afternoon, the correct date so it was 'sweet' from my view.
    OK the car needed new tyres, brake pads and probably rotor's and a new windscreen after one of two vehicles I saw in two hours in Northern Sweden (large timber truck) flicked a fist sized rock on an unsealed highway up and it hit the windscreen. Wondered where until I stopped for fuel and found a massive star fracture hidden from my view by the rearview mirror. The other car was a cop and I was doing the 80km/h limit, thankfully he didn't pull me over as I was drinking a Canadian Club and Coke at the time. Duty free of course!
    The only con was the car wasn't fitted with a stereo but back then many cars weren't as they were dealer fitment or you just went straight to an aftermarket supplier.
    The only service required was at 1500km, or maybe less, which was done at a Peugeot dealer with me just turning up first thing in the morning and fumbling away in French with an broad Aussie accent and 'wide eyed innocent' look. They took pity upon me and whilst I had a brisk walk and breakfast did the service. Got their best English speaker to explain the invoice and whilst I did the checks to make sure they had actually changed the oil and filter etc. in my best rehearsed French I told him that "I trust no-one but myself and then not all the time." He roared laughing and bid me happy travels!

Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    in my best rehearsed French I told him that "I trust no-one but myself and then not all the time."
    He roared laughing and bid me happy travels!
    Probably laughing at your French!

and bloody good too!

VIP Sponsor

Seems you have got all the feed back you need and all very positive stuff, as they have all indicated, unlike a hire car there are NO hidden charges, so what you pay, here in Australia, is all you will pay, apart from the fuel used.

Eurocars (wholeasle) pty ltd (my company) have been selling agents for Renault Eurodrive, Citroen Drive Europe and Peugeot open Europe, since 1971 and offer special deals to aussiefroggers, so if you would like to email your enquiry to my Daughter michelle@eurogroup.com.au then I will ensure she offers you a 'mates rate' deal.

Regards

Rod Slater

Thank you very much Rod. Will email your daughter on Friday . In the meantime I have been unable (emailed citroen) to ascertain whether I can provide only an approximate date for the booking and change it later in the year. ie: book now to avail of the early bird bonus but the dates are dependent on the people I am exchanging house with i France, so want to be able to provide accurate dates later in the year. Can you help there?

Thanks Rod

and bloody good too!

UFO

Rod, a couple of my recent referrals to Michelle have commented that they had not received email replies. Is the email server playing up again?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Parents did it twice (BXs) and I've done it 3 times now with both Citroen (AX) and Peugeot (106, 206). Agree with all the previous pros and cons. Last time I was swayed by the fact that only this way could I guarantee I would get a diesel, the renters all claimed the right to give me a petrol instead - even one company where there was a price difference for their listed diesel model. The plates do make you a target for theft and vandalism.
    All in all, it's a brilliant scheme.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

UFO

Thank you very much Rod. Will email your daughter on Friday . In the meantime I have been unable (emailed citroen) to ascertain whether I can provide only an approximate date for the booking and change it later in the year. ie: book now to avail of the early bird bonus but the dates are dependent on the people I am exchanging house with i France, so want to be able to provide accurate dates later in the year. Can you help there?

Thanks Rod
    I recall that both times we have given Michelle approximate dates and paid a deposit. Final dates are confirmed when you receive, sign and return the contract 6 to 7 weeks prior to pick up date. NOTE that this is important to arrange with Michelle (or your chosen sales point) if you are perhaps leaving Aus to go via the US for a few weeks then to France.

I would expect that if you did not advise Michelle you were leaving Australia earlier, your contract may be in your mail pile at home while you are at CDG or elsewhere wondering why the agent does not have a car for you.

As they say in the movies thai ming is everything.

Daniel - have a look at the links and the list for cars available.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

VIP Sponsor

Just book and deposit before the dead line, to get the special offers and then your pick up/drop off dates are flexible right up to 6 weeks prior to pick up.

VIP Sponsor

Sorry about that, I will folow up, but I am not aware of any computer glitches, at our end, since about 4 or 5 weeks ago when we lost everything.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information