Bang...smell of oil...ooppps I have a pool of gearbox oil
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Bang...smell of oil...ooppps I have a pool of gearbox oil

Ok, so my favourite BX is now not very healthy!

Advertisement

I was driving along, changed gears, heard a weird sort of bang, the road suddenly became quite rough, and I had this smell of gearbox oil.

So I pulled over, had a look underneath and there was oil POURING out...ooops

I can still change gears, little rough, I've had a look today and identified the 'external' problem. I have movement where my gear linkage connects into the box, ie i can pull it in and out about an inch.

Does anyone know what the 'internal' problem might be?

Is there a side of the road fix for it?

Can i just put more oil in (lots and frequently) and drive home....(300km)?
    Could I rig up a permanently supply system, which the passenger holds (I am yet to get passenger cooperation in this task), or have a tanker follow me, sort of like the ideal hydraulic resupply system!

No, I'm deadly serious, I NEED to get home, because it will be much easier to pull out my gearbox there!

Send me a PM, email me gamilarmac@hotmail.com or ring me
    Thanks

Gamila

4 litres of petrol and a match oops
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Quote Originally Posted by gsmack View Post
    Ok, so my favourite BX is now not very healthy!

I was driving along, changed gears, heard a weird sort of bang, the road suddenly became quite rough, and I had this smell of gearbox oil.

So I pulled over, had a look underneath and there was oil POURING out...ooops

I can still change gears, little rough, I've had a look today and identified the 'external' problem. I have movement where my gear linkage connects into the box, ie i can pull it in and out about an inch.

Does anyone know what the 'internal' problem might be?

Is there a side of the road fix for it?

Could I rig up a permanently supply system, which the passenger holds (I am yet to get passenger cooperation in this task), or have a tanker follow me, sort of like the ideal hydraulic resupply system!

No, I'm deadly serious, I NEED to get home, because it will be much easier to pull out my gearbox there!

Send me a PM, email me gamilarmac@hotmail.com or ring me
    Thanks

Gamila
    I don't know if this will help.

Many years ago I when I tossed a rod through the side of 403 motor I managed to repair the hole with a piece of beer can held in place with some welding wire. I had to unbolt the conrod first.

It made the car drivable to get it home.

I'm not familiar with the nature of your oil leak, but lumps of rag and cable ties, chewing gum, preces of aluminium can, fencing wire and plastic sheet have all been used for temporary repairs!

Can you seal it with a piece of tin, silicon and self tappers?

If it's an auto and you are trying to stem the flow trans fluid I'd be less confident of doing a repair.

Best of luck.

Sure you can if you are comfortable with the thought of a motor cycle hitting your fresh oil slick, dropping the bike and spending the rest of their (possibly very short) life drinking their dinner through a straw.

Jo

Flat top tray, the only answer. Even if the patch holds the damage may already be done.
    If the patch fails you are in more trouble than the early settlers!
    And if the Police get involved, instant 'Canary' and fast talking required.
    Just get a flat top, much cheaper than a complete gearbox because it's odd's on you'll do more and terminal damage!

Jo, the OP is a motorbike rider; I'm sure they won't do anything to compromise the safety of others.

This is the famous exploding BE3 diff by the sound of it. If there was a good slather of G70 in there initially, you'd probably get 50-60km before it seized on one of the gear shafts or the diff further disintegrated.

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHRIVAL View Post
    4 litres of petrol and a match oops
    It won't need 4 litres. 1 will do.

Seriously, sounds like its about to explode and shouldn't be driven, or you could the theory that every km you get is one less to tow.

Good news is we have plenty in stock so I can do you a good price.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger!

Not sure if it's a diff or gearbox, either way I'd park it.

Digressing in 1984 I was in a hurry to get home from the USA and bought a ticket from San Francisco to Melbourne when I was in LA. There was an ad for one way rentals from LA to SF so not sure where I found them (possibly LA Youth Hostel) and finished in something called a Chevette very similar to a Gemini, a blonde, 2 or 3 blokes in the back seat. This car had had a hard life. It was noisy as we left LA. Gradually the noise got worse. I can't remember if it was at Bakersfield where there was a bang. About 10pm at night it was up on a hoist and it wasn't pretty. All along I'd been phoning the car rental company. The rental was free but of course they had my credit card. Being at night the stupid call centre was somewhere like Florida. They just kept telling me to drive it slowly to SF.

The next morning after a night in a Motel 6 (to make matters worse I think one of the other passengers may have gotten lucky with the blonde) we headed off... doing about 30/35mph on Interstate 5. The noise was terrible, more phone calls. Finally about 60 miles out of SF where you start heading down the hills and seeing the wind power generators there was almighty bang and that was the finish. One of the passengers and I walked about a mile to a roadhouse and FINALLY the rental company said they would send another car out. We were very relieved to see this very happy coloured guy turn up and hour or two later with a spare car.

If you really want to drive 300km with a car in this condition go for it. LA to SF must be almost as far as Melb to Sydney. When something makes a big bang... I say park it.

quick question, before i go and get dinner, does anyone have chapter 7 of the BX manual, it is the one I'm missing....

and of course it is the GEARBOX chapter....

and i've just realised i have a bigger problem.

I have a PUG as my picture thing....AHAHHHAHA

Ok, well i drove it 6km to a place i could store it. I still have all my gears including reverse.

I don't actually have a great big hole in my diff or the side of my gear box,

I believe (for those that like photos) my gear linkage has come out of it's seating in the box

If you see the second photo, it moves in and out or forward and back about an inch, it looks like it is tapered and the bit of it that is out, is very shiny....no other bit of my car is 'shiny'...'shiny' bad.

So any ideas?

Also anyone have chapter 7, i've just downloaded another version of the haynes manual still missing chapter 7

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bang...smell of oil...ooppps I have a pool of gearbox oil-b2cb00fd.gif   Bang...smell of oil...ooppps I have a pool of gearbox oil-_11_0129.jpg  

UFO

Chapter 7 is the one missing in ALL the internet downloads.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Ch.7 for the 405 manual is also the manual gearbox chapter. It reads something like "DANGER, DANGER DO NOT DISMANTLE. NO USER SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE."

As Richo might say, 'bout as useful as a hip pocket on a singlet.

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Ch.7 for the 405 manual is also the manual gearbox chapter. It reads something like "DANGER, DANGER DO NOT DISMANTLE. NO USER SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE."

As Richo might say, 'bout as useful as a hip pocket on a singlet.
    The funny thing with that is the haynes for the 505 gives very comprehensive instructions on rebuilding a manual gearbox. I found it more useful than the factory manual.

Strange how it differs model to model.
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Ok, well i drove it 6km to a place i could store it. I still have all my gears including reverse.

I believe (for those that like photos) my gear linkage has come out of it's seating in the box

If you see the second photo, it moves in and out or forward and back about an inch, it looks like it is tapered and the bit of it that is out, is very shiny....no other bit of my car is 'shiny'...'shiny' bad.

So any ideas?

Also anyone have chapter 7, i've just downloaded another version of the haynes manual still missing chapter 7

Thanks
    My Haynes BX manual has a 40 page Chapter 6 on transmissions (not 7). Are you still in need? I can scan and send in bits and pieces if you want.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Does it detail the internals of the gearbox...?

If so, I would love it.

If so, I would love it.
    It surely does. If you know which type, I may not have to scan everything, but probably I should just get scanning!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

So any ideas?

Thanks
    Are you sure that arm isn't supposed to move in and out as part of the gear selection? I'll have a look at mine tomorrow.

If so, I would love it.
    OK, it is scanned. About 60 pages, jpegs totalling 20 MB or so. Perhaps PM me your email address and tell me how many MB I can attach per email?

I can't post them as attachments with the 100 KB limit in our brave new world.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Flashback to the day I knackered the R&P on a DS21.
    Didn't break the case, but I hurt the final drive.
    I drove it 20 miles down to the garage and then repaired it.

Fellow Frogger!

If the car drives you haven't blown the diff.

You could have possibly broken a tooth of the crown wheel. Seen this happen before.

Or Broken and energiser spring. Also fairly common.

The movement on the lever suggests a broken spring or retainer on the shift mechanism. They snap where they are folded.( its approx 4mm thick folded up at each end and retains the srping that centralises the lever). The broken piece has probably ventured into the crown wheel pinion area and been sprayed out through the case. Seen this only a couple of times mainly where robert rigg and motorkhanas are involved.

If you want to be bodgy, take the speedo drive 4 bolts abnd the diff cover off the diff 8 bolts and then clean and apply that knead it paste stuff (available from bunnings) to the case. Put oil in and drive it home. Fix later.

If you need parts contact me. Have lots of spares for gearboxs.
    Adrian Wuillemin

Yeah i thought about that spring when I saw a photo that Addo sent me, I suppose something that says the spring is still functioning is that when I put it in, I feel like I am pushing against a spring, but maybe it is partially broken or the foldy bits have given way.

I feel suggesting that I drive my car as if I am in a motorkana might be a little harsh, though mum might agree with you. (i get to drive up mountain roads twice a week!)

I'm not all that good with understanding gearboxes, if I have broken a tooth off the crown wheel, why will i be loosing oil? or why will that level have become loose?

With regards your last comment...are you implying that if I have a hole in my diff house I can just 'bog' it up and drive home...? problem: I don't have a hole in my diff housing.

Thanks for any enlightening words
    Last edited by gsmack; 4th November 2010 at 11:17 AM.

On the old DS/ID a tooth could break off teh crown wheel, and lodge between the crown and the gearbox housing, forcing a crack.
    Not sure if the BX is the same.

1000+ Posts

Default The oil

did we actualy work out were the oil was getting out ,sounds like somthings come adrift inside,its now out of harms way but has sprung and cracked the case unless your handy might be a good idea to get another gearbox ,and be prepaired to change the clutch while your at it, if you intend on keeping the car .Give it a good clean top the oil up and try find where its leaking .PUGS

Mum says it's not a tooth from the crown gear because it would go tacka tacka, which it doesn't

What I am going to have to do is fill it up with oil
    Get underneath it in a rain coat.
    Start it up, and play with the level to see if the oil is actually coming from there.
    If it is.

Rego gets canceled, it goes in the garage, other car gets regoed and i loose my sun roof

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information