Anyone in Sydney have an AX?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Anyone in Sydney have an AX?

We'd like to take a look at an AX (again for me) so if anyone in Sydney has one & can help, can you please contact me.
    You don't have to be selling it - just want to see if it's a suitable car for us at the present

Advertisement

[email][email protected]{/email]

------------------

Pity the time wasn't right when you were up in Qld.
    There's one for sale on the Sunshine Coast that sounds OK. I posted it on the board a week or two ago. Might be a good excuse for a weekend at Noosa

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I saw one at Penrith last week, being serviced by European Autocare - they may be able to point you in the right direction.

If I remember from looking at one at Continental Cars at Punchbowl, it was a pretty compact little thing!

------------------
    Paul Smith
    DS23 EFI BW Auto
    G Special 1220
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paul Smith:
    I saw one at Penrith last week, being serviced by European Autocare - they may be able to point you in the right direction.

If I remember from looking at one at Continental Cars at Punchbowl, it was a pretty compact little thing!

We were actually at Continental Cars yesterday looking at an R19.

I test drove an AX at Penrith once (1997?), it's number plates were X FILE.
    I know what they are like but my partner does not, hence the reason for a geezer

That one on the Sunshine Coast sounds great Alan. If it's still available when we are ready I will be taking a trip up that way for sure.

1000+ Posts
    Gibgib, in today's West Australian newspaper:

"Citroen AX GT '91 only 86,000 kms, aircond, electic windows, central locking, alloys, $9,990. See www.perthprestige.com

If I had $9K I'd think about it. Unfortunately I'm spending all my hard earned on a swimming pool for the summer...

Fancy a trip out west?

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thanks for that Stuey...taking a look.

http://www.personaltradingpost.com.a...=keywordSearch

buysell.com.au

Here is the ad; look up the ad & if you're luckier than me, you'll see a pic perhaps.

1991 CITROEN AX GT. 8MW160. Outstanding performance and handling. Ideal vehicle for driving enthusiasts. Complete with power windows, air conditioning, manual trans, central locking and low kms. $6990. Ph 94717777. Motorhouse Retail, 839 Beaufort Street Cnr Of Seventh Avenue Inglewood. DL 2971

Good luck; methinks you may be entering Marlboroughs, gold chains & white shoes territory.

Alan S

[This message has been edited by Alan S (edited 25 August 2001).]

Think this is Victoria...

This is the one in Perth Stuey found.

gibgib,

Strange it's advertised in a Sydney paper if that's the case. You'd think he'd have advertised it in the Melbourne Trading Post.
    Maybe he wants to see it go a long way away from him
    Scary stuff if that's the case hey

Alan S

Hi everyone,
    We've got an AX in the workshop at the moment, it's been there a few weeks now having alot of work done, its the first one I've worked on, I'm impressed with it, great little car,what a pity they didn't sell well, seams to me that buyer of small hatchbacks don't look at Citroens and Citroen buyers want all the hydralics and everything else so the poor little AX became a case of right car, wrong badge.
    I also noticed in our second hand order book someone in QLD has placed an order for a AX motor to be sent next week, not sure who ordered it but there must be an AX up there that needs a motor.
    Seeya,
    David.

David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

1000+ Posts
    Howdy all,

What's the average retail price range on AX's nowadays ? I thought $9,990 was a bit steep, especially when you look at the web site for the silver one and this price is a 'warranty waiver' price. Sticker price with warranty is $10,990. Therefore at $7K the red one looks pretty good. Buy two for the price of a bloody Hyundai Accent.

Also, what are they like for longevity - I hear the bodies are a bit tinny, but does this extend to rusting? (I realise they're made light for agility...)

You E-Staters are pretty lucky - Froggy cars are pretty rare in the West if you're a buyer, except for bigger or newer Peugeots. If you want a 205, AX etc., it'd take at least a year to locate a decent one, if at all.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I just found out that both cars above are in WA. Inglewood must be in Perth.

The AX I test drove (he wanted $11900 in 1997) was certainately agile. At the time I had the 205GTI so I got out of that & into the AX.
    They can't be compared too much performance wise as the 205 blew it away, but it was pretty darn quick & lot's of fun
    My 205 had so many creaks & rattles in it which eventually caused me to sell it. The AX was as solid as a rock & was the same vintage which may say something for the build quality.

1000+ Posts
    Yeah, gibgib, Inglewood is in WA. I recognised the licence plate as a WA one too.

Stu

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Gibgib,

if your looking at AX, why not a BX 16valve?? If anything it's a lower price range, but it should be a much more substantial car, and........ it's got real suspension under it!!!! (well not that good, but better than the old springs & shockers setup ). Ask Alan S what he'd rather drive, a rattly little AX or a rattly larger BX16valve (no prizes for who'd guess the right answer ).

Go test drive some BX's, I'm sure you'll be very surprised at how nimble & quick they are, steer way from auto's (Yuk!!). The day I'm forced to drive one of them I'll have to turn in my driver license I think .

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: I'm also thinking spare parts availability, even Dave has several 19gt's at french connection being wrecked (don't say anything but they look better than the car I have... To bloody good to be wrecked anyway!).
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Last prices I saw for cars sold in Qld were substantially less than these, and I sold mine a couple of years ago for less. Chevron sold a red 3dr for about 5-6k tops, must have been over a year ago. Another was for private sale in the same price range or lower. Of course Qld cars (nearly) all have cracked dashes and other sun-affected plastic. Bodies don't seem particularly prone to rust, but do collect carpark dings with ease. Great skates!
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

A BX is out of the question - I've been told
    Dad had a 16trs which was very unreliable, esp the carby & "dirty" fuel. To top it off, the auto transmission karked it towards the end.
    Nice to drive but too tinny & felt as though a tray shopping trolley could right it off.

I wouldn't pay more than 6 kilodollars for an AX unless it was a fantastic one.
    Saying that, I still need to sell the Pug first.

------------------

Hi Gibgib,

we used to have a BX16trs Auto. It was without a doubt one of the worst 'cit' I've ever driven. Rattly, disgustingly gutless and none to reliable. You see when we got the car the re-breather hoses were hooked up incorrectly and kept blocking the jets up.

The auto with full lock up on 4th and partiel lockup on 3rd was horrid. It'd break it's neck to get into 4th, and would change into it at 58km/h unless you were trying to promote a leg cramp by ramming your foot through the floor. Mum hated it, I didn't like it, but it was OK to drive after my R12 and I drove it manualy. Dad didn't like it either, but he's the one that bought it, and wasn't about to admit his dislike for it. We all cheered when it went. Having said that I'd decided I would NEVER get a BX, horrid bloody disgusting cars.

Then Ang needed a decent car so I test drove a BX19tri with 180,000km on the clock rather than the 90,000 the 16trs had. Talk about different, the 19tri is agile as hell, goes incredibly well, has done 40,000km in the last 10months and hasn't missed a beat. My opinion of BX's has changed dramaticly. Don't ever drive/buy a 16trs, it'll destroy any opinion you have of citroens in no time.... The cars done 220,000 now and rapidly growing (doing 1000km a week). Ang hit her mother fence with it, so I've discovered they are also MUCH stronger than they appear.

Go take you misssus for a spin in a BX16valve, she won't be dissapointed, trust me they only share bodyshape and nothing else with a trs auto.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: If you haven't guess I hate automatics, so am very biased
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

gibgib,

I couldn't disappoint Shane by not tossing in my two bobs worth on the 16V.
    I owned a 16Trs which was an auto converted to manual. I bought it with 200K klms on the clock & sold it with almost 250K klms after 18 months. I also had the dirty petrol problems, but not being the long suffering type, I fitted a bloody big fuel filter which was for a Commodore Fuel Injected motor & it worked a treat. It was tinny in the body (but rust free even though it was a Gold Coast car) the upholstery was like new, it rode particularly well, cornered like it was on rails and performed well for what it was; a 1.6 litre carby motor. Fuel consumption was shocking until I sorted it out whereupon it was acceptable - 10 - 11L/100 klms & 7.3 L/100klms. When you shut the doors they went "booyyong" kinda echoing tin. It would carry 5 people but you always got the impression that it was not all that happy doing so. With 5 people, it felt cramped, the suspension seemed to be labouring and the performance then could only be described as "adequate." Basically a great car for a young lady or an elderley couple; not a family or performance vehicle. My wifes hairdresser used to almost oggle over it - 'nuf sed IT HAD TO GO!!!
    It was impressive enough for me to comment that after my experience with this car, I was impressed enough to want to own a more powerful version with lower mileage because I wondered just how good a high performance low mileage BX really could be. I spotted an 87K klms two owner car in Sydney (16V) for what I considered to be the right price & after several phone conversations I flew to Sydney, bought it & drove it home.
    Being a former car dealer, I have driven all sorts of cars from "Rollers" to Yank Tanks to Mercs to all sorts of cars from prestige to shitboxes and it is still my contention that a BX 16V is as good a long distance vehicle as has ever been produced. I do not believe however that it is a good "round town" type of car although having said that it will pull away at 1000 - 1500 rpm without fuss in 5th gear whilst still being capable of blowing most things away from the lights.
    The doors, unlike the 16Trs go shut with a dull thud (almost a'la CX) & feel twice the weight of a Trs door, whilst the fuel consumption is around 9L/100 & 7.4L/100klm. it doesn't have a poofy feel to the suspension (Whoops that should start a fight or two) although to soften it up is a simple case of grabbing a couple of 500cc CX spheres & inflating to a lower pressure to give a floaty type of ride. The Recaro type seats are fully adjustable & fully supporting and 5 passengers doesn't feel like an imposition. Interior space is a strange one as it seems miles bigger than a Trs. The brakes defy description and the handling has saved me on a couple of occasions one of which I think I may have mentioned when you were here, where a guy in a Honda fell asleep at the wheel coming back from Fraser Island and came straight across the road at me (I was doing just over 100kph at the time) & had to go bush ending up going sideways with two wheels on the gravel, two on bitumen & a convoy of (usually) pissed backpackers in wank tanks following the Honda down the single lane road. I could still smell the rubber a klm down the road (unless I had been eating rubber.)
    I have had the kind of problems I would expect from a "garage serviced" car, namely cracked hoses, half stripped hose clips, pipes left out of saddles & scuffing on hoses, LHM which should have (and wasn't) changed, dodgy electrical improvisations (instead of proper repairs,) obvious things not attended to, all of which could be found on a Ford, Holden or any other breed of car in the same circumstances.
    If my car was written off tommorrow I would probably still go looking for another 16V to replace it. Pity this wasn't on when you were up here; I could have given you a live demo

Alan S

Thanks Alan for your thorough description.
    I was not aware of the 16V being such a different beast to the norm BX. I also see that you understand where I'm coming from with regards to my dad's experience with his.
    The purchase of another car still pivots on whether we find a buyer for our Pug.
    We have decided to advertise it again this weekend, if it doesn't go, we are going to hang onto it.
    Driving home from the club meeting tonight got me wondering why the hell we would want to sell it anyway
    Then I remembered....investment property...yes Alan, probably Noosa or Bris CDB for that, no 4X4 CX's but...
    D'oh!

------------------

Hi Gibgib,

I fully understand where your coming from with the BX thing, after all we did have a 16trs auto (urgh, even saying it almost makes it stick in my thoat...).

Really, you know you want a 'D', gee's, a 'D' is 10 times the car any BX is... I'll post you some pics of my ID when I develop the film, doesn't look to bad and has style!! lots of it...(only it is still in need of a little assembly, well it is a car of mine... ).

Good luck selling the pug, my guess is it probably wont sell unless your lucky. They sound almost as hard as Citroens to sell (and as easy to buy).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

gibgib,

FWIW, have a look at the Trading Post from down your way. There are two 16V's for sale. One is at Marrickville (big Valiant Country ) that sounds like one advertised a while back for about $4500 at which time I got the impression that it had snapped a cam belt & dined out on the donk
    It is now a couple of grand dearer if that's the car. The other is at Eurotech at Gosford. Has around 95K klms on the clock, is red, has leather knickers which is rare for Oz BXs and it is claimed to be the last BX sold in this country. If it is a genuine '93 or '94 it would be a dead set collectors piece as there were only a few made in each of those years (from memory less than 100) worldwide. Being at a dealers, you might be able to talk a deal as he has had it for some time now & it started off at around $15/$16,000.
    If nothing else it gives you a chance to go & see and have a drive of one.

Alan S
    http://www.tradingpost.com.au/search...search,00.html

[This message has been edited by Alan S (edited 28 August 2001).]

A ps, just noticed that both the pictured cars appear to have had bonnets replaced. AFAIK, all Aus cars came with the chevrons offset, not with the later centrally located positioning. Replacement panels usually seem to be for the later series AX.
    Hardly surprising for bonnets to be replaced if the cars have been driven by people used to driving other Cits - beware the long (and many say a bit spongy) brake pedal travel, nothing like your average Cit. Almost went through the back fence of the caryard when first going for a test drive in the one I bought!
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

It looks as though we are hanging onto the 405 for now (not such a bad thing). There was very little (bugger all) interest in it so it may be a sign of the times.
    At this stage there will be no AX.
    Thanks for all your help peoples
    If there was an AX for sale in Australia, I think we found every one of them

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gibgib:

If there was an AX for sale in Australia, I think we found every one of them [/B]
    AAHH - not quite; this one just popped up on the Citroen Bulletin Board a few minutes ago

1991 CITROEN AX GT for sale, 11 months rego, new tyres, elctric windows, air conditioning, sports induction, rola roof racks, good reliable fast car, cheap to run
    immaculate through out, canberra $7000 ph (on the run) 0402136300, (home) 62816300

Alan S

[This message has been edited by Alan S (edited 09 September 2001).]

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information