The One that got away
  • Register
  • Help

The One that got away

Shane
    Check this out, DS21 Cabriolet in France $105000.00 Aus. This car was for sale yesterday went back to the site today and it's been sold. Thought we could all sell our cars and form a sindicate to get it over here.. i'm really p#@#sed.
    http://www.carclassic.com/html/CITROEN.HTM#DS21
    Some great pics all's that left...
    Cheers
    Chris

Advertisement
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Chris,

bugger, finaly find a use for that spare $100k I had floating around, and I miss my chance!!

Yep, I often look in the back of the UK mags and think I should ship my RHD D's over there and flog them off.... The only problem is then I wouldn't have any D's for myself .

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!
    I have seen one of these in Oz, gee, there cant be that many about now. This was about 3 or 4 years ago at some motor show in Brisbane. Top looking car, had a chat with the dude that owns it, nice bit of kit.

Chipper

I know a certain "bearded" individual up Maleny(QLD) way who owns (owned???) a D convertable.
    Anyone know if he still has it?
    Heard a rumour he paid a damn lot for it, but he wouldn't tell me how much,...

------------------

Not him gibgib,

I think you mean the Mayor of Gayndah a guy by the name of Peter Huth.
    They have almost a museum of Citroens up there. The one you refer to was owned by the swimmingly challenged former PM Harold Holt's brother & had 14,000 on the clock when they bought it around 11 years ago. I actually have photos of another one I took several years ago which I believe was bought by Rene Revkin. The other pics of the Gayndah car along with the car I took the shots of & accompanying story can be found on the Aust. Cit Yahoo site but due to being on there it's pointless me trying to post as anyone not being a registered member cannot access. Maybe Shane can find a way of pirateing them

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I've found the best place to buy old French cars in good condition is in Vietnam (being an former French colony). Many of them were locked away until Vietnam got over communism.

The locals don't see the value in these old cars (they prefer newer Japanese cars) and flog them off at ridiculously cheap prices. There are heaps of beautiful DS and Traction Avants. In fact I was offered an immaculate black Traction Avant for $3000AUS a couple of years ago (I was just a kid then so I couldn't get one ). Unfortunately, you'd have to be quick because many French car enthusiasts around the world are buying up these cars.
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

Alan, Steeley definitely had one. I saw it not long after he bought it. He travelled around with a beach umbrella as a roof
    Pretty sure it was an ID though.
    He had a SM as well!

Yep, Ian owns the early cabrio brought in by John Paas. He had it at the car club picnic Sunday. It may be known as the one on the car club stand at the Brisbane motor show a few years back.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Anyone out there know about the replicar decapotables that were made by Desse? conversions or has anyone considered making one....Is this taboo?? Who can afford $120k
    apart from Rene Rivkin anyway!! A bit off beam but I spotted a two door DS near Castlemaine in Vic..It was made by a coachbuilder in williamstown...had lucus rear lights and twin coils under the bonnet..
    strange looking thing..Anyone know any more about this or any other DS conversions??
    Cheers
    Andrew
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Hi Dogboy,
    I think owning a replica comes down to personal choice. You have the comfort of knowing that you are still driving a Citroen, pics I've seen suggest that the replica is built on a sedan platform whereas the real gear was built on the longer wheel based safari, certainly the real thing looks more elegant. There are a few replicas in Australia and I guess they have some quirky value because of their rarity. Die hard Cit nuts would see these as won-a-bee's. Have a look at this site for a scathing view on Traction cabs coming out of Vietnam, http://www.cta.a.se/vietcab.htm There is a site in my bookmarks that talks about DS cab replica kits in the UK but can't find it at the moment when I do I'll post, same site also was selling Turbo kits to give a bit of cred to the sporty look, described performance as adequate

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for that link to the Saigon built Light 15's...I was in Vietnam 2 years ago and saw a few Tractions..only saw 3 DS's so was very disapointed!! Did spot a 2CV van which was quite old..somehow I expected them to be everywhere along with that glorious French architecture..I agree in general about replicars being for wanabees but I would make an exception to a fake DS if it was done right!! the reason?? Unlike a replicar Ferrai,Porsche etc(which look dreadfull)a Cit DS(albeit)convertible is hardly covetted by most mortals...though most cit owners would like to imagine they are!! I know most of us would like a DS convertible...and how many times do you see one at a concours?? not very often...wouldn't you think a real cit enthusiast would parade it..or are there virtually none around?? I say the more the merrier!
    Cheers
    Andrew
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Hi Chris,

I think the replica panels for the DS converable are hidiously expensive and made of fibreglass. Apparantly they don't look as nice as the originals, but hey, half the 'original' D's probably have these replica panels on them due to the original panels being rusty. Add it up though, my bet is you wouldn't get much change from $40,000 by the time you bought all the parts, and if you wanted to pay someone to do all the work...........

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: Or do you mean just grab the angle grinder and knock the roof off??? Viola instant convertable!! Wouldn't look right though, and would need MUCH chassis strenghtening.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Ahh... Sacré bleu!! angle grinder and D in the the same sentence, shame Shane shame

Andrew yeah I guess if one of these came up and it was well done, I would show some interest, lots of really nice bits on the real thing that wouldn't be on the replica, those stylish rear inicators, wheel embellishers and trim generally.

Previous owner of my D fitted a vinyl push back sunroof, quite well done trimmed on the interior, closest I'm going to get to the real thing. My car is a bit of a hybrid D special with 23 motor and five speed so I'm not so precious about it. Like to see cars that are preserved as original, good ones are starting to demand serious dollars now.

If anyone knows of a D cab floating around Bris I'd love to see one.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

There was a British company (Oxford Car Co?) selling fakes that had metal rear ends (fabricated in Poland I think) on sedan floor pans. The one in the photo attached (sorry about the size but I'm still learning how to scan slides with the new scanner, and can't seem to get the resize sorted)was taken at a classic car show at the NEC, Birmingham,UK in 98 and was about 10thou pounds if I recall correctly. Bruce
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/citroen-aus/files/Bruce%20Hoad%20Pictures/Ds0003.jpg

[This message has been edited by Bruce H (edited 05 October 2001).]
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Bruce H

there ya go!!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

While looking at the Netherlands car club site (hard when you dont understand the language) I spotted two cabrio's...one was
    f 110,000 anyone knows if the f refers to french francs or should that be guilders??
    if in Francs then it would convert to $33,000 aussie peso's...when's the next flight??
    Cheers
    Andrew
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Dogboy,

You find a lot of European sites talk either Euros or French Francs.
    If you want to really have a good read and see some interesting stuff go to the site I've posted the link to.
    They have had an armoured CX for sale for a while; way things are going overseas, it might be in big demand soon. It's a real gem; run flat tyres, oxygen, super duper suspension, bullet proof and bomb proof, just the kind of thing you heed for city driving

http://www.citroen-andre.com/

Alan S

If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Alan,
    Saw that one and had the same thoughts, have to be a bit heavy on fuel though

Same site has a pic of a replica cab, kinda looks a bit odd, it's got knock on centre wheel nuts like old MG/Jags, strange around the bum too.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Thread Information