Citroen Autos and tuning
  • Register
  • Help

Citroen Autos and tuning

I currently have a Renault 19 automatic and i have put a sports exhaust on her. I am also thinking about putting an air filter and bigger wheels on it. Some Renault "experts" are telling me to ease up with the tuning because its an auto. Can anyone tell me if any citroens have weak auto gearboxes like the Renault's. Can they handle bigger exhausts and air filters etc?

Advertisement

Daniel,

I'm probably going to tell you something you really don't want to hear; air cleaner and exhausts are going to have about as much effect on your performance as piddling in the Surf will have on tide height.
    If they clap out your transmission I'd reckon it was just about caput anyway. The earlier transmissions were often described as "Bomb proof" but later ones weren't quite as durable.
    Before you spend too much more money I'd suggest a trip to Puma racings site. This guy isn't exactly Mr Diplomacy but at least he tells it as it is regarding mods and they are his business.
    Basically when you were a kid and strapped a piece of cardboard to the spokes of your pushbike so as to sound like a motorbike engine, remember it still didn't go like a motor bike even though it may have sounded somewhat like one. Air cleaners and exhausts almost come into the same category unless of course you intend spending mega bucks by which stage you might as well do something that will really make it go <a href="http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/mainmenu.htm" target="_blank">http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/mainmenu.htm</a>

Hope this is some help to you.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Danial,

puting a tuned exhaust on may help depending on how good the factory exhaust is. Let me explain, to 'tune' an exhaust you need the correct length/shape exhaust & header pipes, with a certain amount of back pressure to get maximum power. No I'm not an expert so that's about as far as I can go. Lower back pressure is not always good, no back pressure is DEFINATLY bad

You will usualy find the stock air filters on french cars is very good (unlike some of the local stuff). But yeah, fitting an after market one will make the induction sound louder Stock exhausts are usualy very good. eg. the Pug 205 standard exhaust is so good you will usualy always loose power if you fit after market extractors & mufflers :p

Better air cleaners may (or not) help if you fit a bigger throttle bodies, and clean the head up, especialy if you add a mild cam to it all. I'm not sure how your injection computer will handle these mod's though. Basicly the R19 is a great little car as it is.

As for Automatics, the Citroen CX (80's car) had a bullet proof auto, The BX (late 80-90's) is much less reliable, but OK, probably not much better or worse than the 19's. As for the early 'D' automatics, forget it.... Those things barely coped with the power of the standard injected motor.

If your really interested in trying to get more power out of the R19, I'd strongly suggest talking to David Cavanagh, he's a Renault fanatic & has done crazy things like fit V6's to fuegos. But he really knows his stuff. If there's a way to get more power out of your 19 without upsetting reliability he'll know!

Mate if your really interested in some cheap get up & go, checkout the Renault fuego for 100bucks. There not the quickest or best car around, but they'd leave any renault 19 regardless of if it's a manual or Auto for dead. They really are that much quicker :p :p

good luck,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I will be learning to drive a manual in the near future when things settle down in my life. It sounds however french auto transmissions suck. What would happen if a Renault fan bought a 1.6 auto clio and wanted to tune it slightly i wonder . Those above mentioned citroens sound like Renault autos. What about the xsara and xantia? The XM sounds like it can be a nightmare(other topic in this forum). what are the xantia/xsara autos like???

Hi Danial,

I think you will find french Automatics are no better or worse than most of there competitors. Bet just about any of your friends with Automatic cars have had to re-build there auto's at some stage as well...

As for XM's, I wouldn't call them unreliable at all. The 1st of the XM's in the UK had a 'different' way in which the earth terminals were attached to the car. These rapidly corroded as the roads get salted over there causing all sorts of electrical nightmares. Out here it's not really a problem!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

[quote]Originally posted by DoubleChevron:
    <strong>

As for the early 'D' automatics, forget it.... Those things barely coped with the power of the standard injected motor..
    </strong><hr></blockquote>

The DS auto was a BW35, Shane - essentially the same old beast that has appeared in a host of other vehicles - Volvo 244's etc etc etc. It was never going to set the world on fire, but they were reasonably robust units.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

What about the xsara/xantia automatics are robust enough to handle an exhaust and air filter?

A 1962 Holden EK Hydramatic would handle an exhaust and an air cleaner.
    It just makes 'em sound vroom, vroom.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Daniel,

I think you'll find that most people who drive Citroens like to leave them standard, (can't improve on perfection :p ) A BX 16v will give you alot of fun without having to spend money tricking it up, as Alan points out, exhaust and air filter would only make it sound like some of the crap that it easily knocks off. If your budget runs to it (and you can find one) a CX turbo will give most of the competition a scare. The rest of us get by with more than adequate handling, enough go, and plenty of stop.

Loud exhausts wide wheels, all show no go

Yes I'm sure you could really stuff up a perfectly good Xantia/Xsara auto by tacking on some crappy mods (but would it respect you in the morning) :p

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Danial,

the easiest way to get a 'quick' Citroen in Australia is get a standard car, you may not like the look of them though as Citroens usualy look quite 'different'.

A BX16valve (Alan Smiths car)

A CXturbo (Soon to by my car?? . ie: my fathers)

They both are very quick, however are only available with manual gbox's. Both are quite rare out here even though the BX16valve was sold here

good luck,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thread Information