New Arrival at Keller House
  • Register
  • Help
    UFO

New Arrival at Keller House

Well, no one picked up my hint to Shane the other day.

Advertisement

I said that "I wouldn't buy an XM tomorrow, but..." and that was on Tuesday. Well I bought it on Thursday. Here it is:

<a href="http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/citroen-aus/vwp?.dir=/Craig%27s+New+Toy&.dnm=Sexy+Car+1.jpg&.src=gr&.vie w=t&.hires=t" target="_blank">Craig and Deb's XM</a>

See more at:

<a href="http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/citroen-aus/lst" target="_blank">more pics</a>

Wiping grin off face now!

Rgds
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Craig,
    Execellent, looks to be in tip top condition, tell us more, year, model how many Ks etc. didn't notice your aussiefrog sticker? Love those wheels the early model (ie mine, 91) don't do the car justice. Keep us posted as to your impressions, I am still on honeymoon with mine

So I count four aussiefrog members driving XMs

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

UFO
    The car is a 96 XM with just 100K km on the clock - just run in.

It has been very well maintained and runs sweet as.

Yes I like the newer mags too. This car has the newer dash as well. The series one dash is prone to BX like cracking, so if you have one, get a dash mat made up ASAP. I think I will get one for this one too.

Only got home at 10pm last night and it has been raining so have not had a chance to sticker the car. It will be this weekend, and the DS too!

Still grinning!

[ 25 January 2002: Message edited by: ckeller ]</p>
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts
    Nice XM!

I don't want to scare either of you, but if you ever have the engine out for anything.... put a new starter motor in regardless.

The starter in ours died about 3 weeks ago, and getting the old one out took about 3 hours and so much force my dad reckoned he was going to break the 1/4" drive, and getting the new one in took almost 4 hours. It's definately not an easy job when the engine is in the car.

If you want more details I can tell you later - I'd have to talk to dad cos I was at work at the time so he had other family members helping out.

Ours (1991) is up to about 200 000km now, but with new auto transmission, new seals throughout the engine, new starter....

Derek

Beautiful car there, Craig. The later model colour coding, to me, gives this b-i-g car a greater sense of unity than that of the early models. I'm sure you'll both enjoy the new toy.
    On the scare front, local talk was all of front strut mounts a while back, after a late model XM languished in the back of a repairers with a strangely bent bonnet, consequence of such a failure.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Bruce,
    Strut mount problem was rectified on later models, are you sure it was a late model with this prob. Certainly is something to be aware of on the early XMs, Fairly straight forward fix though. (that is if you get to it before it blows the struts through the bonnet) :p

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Didn't check the date-plate, but it was colour-coded bumpers and later alloys.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

[quote]Originally posted by DeKa:
    <strong>Nice XM!

I don't want to scare either of you, but if you ever have the engine out for anything.... put a new starter motor in regardless.

The starter in ours died about 3 weeks ago, and getting the old one out took about 3 hours and so much force my dad reckoned he was going to break the 1/4" drive, and getting the new one in took almost 4 hours. It's definately not an easy job when the engine is in the car.

Derek</strong><hr></blockquote>

Derek,

A tip for the future and possibly something your father may wish to keep a check on.
    I had problems with my work van a few years ago which was a Mazda diesel. I had to remove the starter motor and in those days I was pretty strong due to the heavy manual labour I was doing. I had a hell of a time trying to undo the bolts and at one stage had my feet against an extension on the bar on the socket still with no luck. I had convinced myself that they were there for keeps and an oxy cutter may be the way to go when I had a visit from an old ex mechanic mate. Told him the problem and he just laughed "Can't believe you got caught with that" says he. It appears that for some years now, car manufacturers have tightened the bolts on to starter motors using a rattle or impact gun. This guy lent me his and it was less than 2 minutes that the starter was off. Seems faster spinning starters and engines have proven that starter motors have a habit of shaking to bits unless hammered into position. Don't ask me why, but it is nearly impossible to shift by hand but with a rattler, no problem.
    By the same token, he strongly recommended that the gun be used when it was reinstalled for the same reason.
    This may exppain why he had the problem

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Bruce,

If the car you saw was a late model ie post '91 that is most interesting, this issue was a recall by Citroen and as copy of post below (via yahoo XM-L forum) suggests, it should no longer be possible for this to happen???

Struts have been known to punch into the bonnet on the very first XMs when the rubber fails. There was a recall somewhere in 1990 IIRC, but all cars from late 1991 on have the new construction mounts that cannot go through the other side even if the rubber fails completely. However, when it does fail, the top of the strut has a degree of freedom, which affects suspension and steering, and also produces noise. The strut mount closer to the road shoulder (right on LHD, left on RHD) usually fails first because that's where all the potholes are. Replacement is very simple. The system needs to be depressurised, and the front spheres taken off. Then the conical strut mounts are dropped by loosening the big nut on top and giving the top a light tap with a brass hammer - beware, there will be a lot of LHM at this point as it will remain inside the struts. The concertina boots need to be removed from the mounts first. The car needs to be on stands or jacked up quite high to allow the strut to go low enough so that the mount, once unbolted, can be removed from below. Assembly is in reverse order, taking care not to contaminate the conical strut end and the corresponding 'socket' in the strut mount. Also, there are two O-rings in the mount on the inside of the; socket' - be careful not to forget putting them in (the ones from the old mount will do in a pinch) and also be very careful that they don't twist, as the strut will nick them, and there will be a leak. A word of warning: you might need to readjust tracking after you change the mounts.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

1000+ Posts
    Alan,

Thanks for those comments - I'll show him tonight. I'm pretty sure he was following instructions from the mechanics at Continental Cars on how they do it themselves.

I know he was using 1/4" flexible drive - the biggest problem was getting the hex driver to line up. Wish I had have been there to help.

Derek

Re struts - IIRC it was the rhs, and I'm fairly sure it was the later model as I was initially concerned that the car may have belonged to a friend from the CCCQ who has a white one.
    If I've read your posts correctly, you use the mechanic in whose yard the car sat (maybe while the failure was being investigated???), so you might want to ask Ian.
    Bruce H

Thanks Bruce,

Just curious, I will quiz Ian next time the cars down there. I guess the important thing here is to be aware of the posibility of strut failure and put it on your service check list. Apparently there are plenty of symtoms leading up to failure. (Chevron replaced mine before they sold the car )

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Bruce,
    [quote]On the scare front, local talk was all of front strut mounts a while back, after a late model XM languished in the back of a repairers with a strangely bent bonnet, consequence of such a failure.<hr></blockquote>

I eat my words, had a good chat with Ian this morning, the car you saw was a '94 with strut through bonnet It appears *ALL* XMs have the potential for this problem it is a routine check at each service, but yes all owners of XMs need to be aware!!!

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

I have just heard of a XM up for sale......auto box was replaced under 100,000kms because the car had sat around with little use..the owner was told all the seals had dried out so the auto had to be replaced!!! are there any other problems with XM's when left and not driven?..
    I am a bit keen on getting this car but am also wary...Greenblood....wondering how much one should pay for a 92 model with low kms???
    Cheers
    Andrew
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Dogboy,

You sure have a good history of Cits owned, so you know their ups and downs

Is the car a private sale or through a Cit dealer, what is it's known history, why did it sit unused and for how long? Is it a private import or sold by Citroen in Australia? I guess it is a 12 valve V6?

Early XMs are selling for as little as $10,000 and seem to top out in the early $20ks this in itself is no clear indication of a good bad or indiferent car. I would most certainly get someone who knows XMs to have a good look at it, it may cost a few dollars but could save you a heap, do you know anyone in CCCV?

Don't be put off by the attention we have given to the XM on the board, there have been a swag sold around the world and like most things you will hear the bad points loudest, a good well serviced car will give you many years of reliable service, a bad one will make the headlines :p :p

Keep us posted

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Hi Chris,
    It is a private sale...history is that it was owned by a french diplomat...sold to someone who then died!!(of frustation??)that is why it sat around doing nothing...then sold to current owner who bought a C5 (sick of niggling little problems?)Owner told me it had been fully serviced but said continental had been slack and not stamped the books!!!Cant tell you if it was a private import or not...asking price is around $20,000...only done 100,000kms....
    should I get it??
    cheers
    Andrew
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

[quote]Originally posted by dogboy:
    <strong>Cant tell you if it was a private import or not...asking price is around $20,000...only done 100,000kms....
    should I get it??
    cheers
    Andrew </strong><hr></blockquote>

Andrew,

If it were me I'd buy it; then again I'd buy that Prestige for sale in Brisbane, a couple of D's, a Traction, DS cabriolet, an SM or two, love to own a CX Turbo and another 16valver to play with etc etc etc infinitum....
    so I'm probably not the one to take a real lot of notice of. The only space problem I have is in me Bank account but by the sounds of things it does sound like a good car and my following prices as I do. I wouldn't have any problems with the price if it's good enough.
    To be able to check whether it's a private import, go looking for the compliance plate. In Queensland, our normal compliance plates are the same as everywhere else, silver with ASAA numbers embossed onto them whereas anything else will carry a blue tag (same size) with info engraved into it.
    Amongst the information, I think it should say the date it was complianced and by whom. In Queensland most of our older cars carry the "Maxim Motors" tag. If you can ascertain it's compliance date, that should give you some indication of the age of it when it arrived in Oz and some indication of how much exposure it had to UK salt fields
    You say it has a log book in which case it should have it's PD service marked by the selling dealer as well as its early services.
    I get a bit jittery when the book is there and not filled out and the car has low mileage as this can give it a smell of a "dashboard tune-up" which it more likely than not hasn't had, but as a seller, I'd burn the book so as to not let the thought exist :p

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thanks Alan,
    What scared me was the owner saying he would get continental to stamp it full....and yes I was wondering about "speedo george" I have been told the car is immaculate (I'm in Vic and the car interstate)so hard to have a look....white with black leather....hmmmm....leather!!!
    As my workplace is having a restructure next week I am putting it off until then...
    As for what Cits to own...I'm with you..I want them all....Am I greedy?? I don't want other makes...just Citroens...please help..
    Cheers
    Andrew
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Thread Information