Xantia suspension
  • Register
  • Help

Xantia suspension

Just after a little advice regarding my (wonderful) Xantia!

I've owned the car for coming up to two months now, so it is still under its warrantee.

I'm not quite sure whether all is perfect with the suspension, or whether the little things described below are in the "they are just like that" category.

1. It takes 10-15 seconds for the hydraulics to come up to pressure after overnight rest.

Advertisement

2. On the upper of the two "road" height positions, the rear end sometimes goes up to full height.

3. The car drops a little sometimes after use, especially if there have been passengers in the rear. It only drops a bit, not fully.

It seems to ride well and to behave properly otherwise. My question is whether it is best to leave well alone until something really goes wrong or make a fuss now!!

The car is 5 1/2 years old, 20,000 km (really!) and had its rear spheres changed about 1-2 years back - I'm reasonably sure that the fronts have not been touched.

I haven't found a towbar yet!!!

Thanks for any advice.

John W.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole
    Hi All
    John my 1994 Xantia takes a similar time to pressurise and up to a minute and a half to rise after an overnight stop. The heights seem to be the same (sometimes) on the highest two settings and I have read of others like this. The back spheres have been replaced on my car but the fronts are original - I have been told the front ones with dimples around the filler cap last forever - we shall see. Re a towbar - Blackwell Engineering in Christchurch NZ make and stock certificated (to tow 1000Kg) tow bars for Xantias and they come complete with all fittings to bolt on. Also they look great as only the tongue shows and the skirt under the bumper does not have to be cut. They are about $250NZ (fitted to car) their phone number is below. I have one fitted to my Xantia and it does not seem to mind towing more than a 1000Kg. Let me know if you want a photo.
    Regards
    Doug W
    Blackwell R A Engineers Ltd
    293 St Asaph St Christchurch
    +64 3 366 0940

Tadpole
    John,
    I'm no great expert but judging from experience of my wife's Xantia TD (1993 - 80,000 miles)
    1.Sounds fairly normal
    2. Not normal - is the linkage "sticking" or has the height corrector got some muck in it? Aussie BX owners should be able to help here (AlanS?)
    3.Doesn't sound right but if rear passengers dismount the rear will tend to rise then sink to normal height within a couple of seconds - is that what you mean? Or do you mean it sinks to a lower level than normal when you drive off again. If so it may be height corrector as in Q2.

Find it very strange that the rear spheres have been "done" before the front. I would say that the front, because of all the extra weight of engine etc would go long before the rears, unless you use it for transporting bags of sand. Is this also connected to Qs 2 and 3? 5 1/2 years is a hell of a long time for front spheres to last. On the other hand 20,000 kms is a very short distance for either front or rear spheres to last. My wife's Xantia has had two new sets of front spheres and one set of rears in 80,000 miles - and we tow a caravan for several thou miles per year. Still can't believe you can't get a towbar!
    Best wishes
    PhilW

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi John,

bascily your have nothing to worry about. Any hydraulic 'cit' regardless of if it's a DS,GS,SM,CX,Xantia,XM,C5 will drop completely or a certain amount over night. 15seconds to raise in the morning is very fast. Basicly as long as it lifts within a couple of minutes your fine (diesels by there nature will take longer as they idle at such a slow engine speed).

If you drop weight in the car, she'll drop, then lift back to height in the next 15 seconds or so, drop a bloody great caravan or trailer on her drawbar and the arse will dive straight to the pavement, then lift up to normal ride height again in about 15seconds.

Same thing happens when you remove weight, it'll lift up to high, then right itself back to the normal height in a matter of 10-20seconds. This is especialy prevelant with the very softly 'sprung' D series cars.

It's not uncommon for the rear height correctors to get dirty on Xantias. Don't ask me why as it happens to no model previous to them. Basicly the back of the car will start to react very slowly to any changes in weight & not find the correct height it's set to. Yours sounds like it could be in the very early stages of this unable to find it's highest settings correctly. Eventualy it'll get to the stage where the platic rod the connects the rear height correct to the anti-roll bar will 'pop' off. This is important WHATEVER YOU DO NEVER, EVER GET UNDER THE CAR TO CLIP THIS BACK ON WITHOUT SUPPORTING THE CAR WITH JACKSTANDS. If you accidenly move the height corrector a fraction of a millameter clipping the rod back on the car will instantly drop without warning crushing you.

Don't worry though, basicly you just need to clean the height corrector when it gets to this stage. Not hard, and free if you do it yourself. Don't worry about 'Cit' hydraulics, the car will be dead and gone before they die. They are incredibly reliable, so never believe horror stories any mechanics tell you. If they attempt to tell you that the hydraulics are 'stuffed' your about to be taken for a ride Leave & go somewhere else.

hope this helps,

regards,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Many thanks guys for the really useful advice.

You've confirmed what I more or less suspected - it's probably just fine although the rear height controller may be a tad sticky. I promise to be extremely careful playing with this once I've found it......

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

John,

I have been doing a bit of routine servicing on the BX lately as the F*%ding Spectron has died again and I need to sort a couple of things on the CX so it looks like being the family hack for a week or two
    Amongst things I did on the BX was to fit grease nipples to the rear arm bearings; in-situ. This may not sound like a big deal and probably isn't until you discover the grease nipple fits right where the sensor wire to the ABS fits, then it becomes a whole new ball game
    In the process, I took some photos of under the car including the height corrector and linkages and I oiled them up whilst I was under. All going well, I'll post these to gibgib for inclusion in the tips and clues in the archives later today. As I don't know how busy he is it may take a while for him to get around to posting so I can post them directly to you if you prefer.
    Drop me a line & advise if that's what you want me to do. Don't know what Xantia h/c's look like but I'd imagine the same as a BX.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Guys,

I'm on the Xantia list at yahoo groups, for some reason the height correctors sludge up INTERNALY!!! It's not the rods underneath themselves. I doubt we'll have the problem anywhere near as badly out here with our mild climate as they do in the UK. When I cleaned the height correctors on my 40year old brake fluid 'D' I found them full of black sludge. I'm willing to bet this is what happens to the rear height corrector on badly mantained Xantias that never get there fluid changed. Maybe the rear height corrector is the lowest point in the hydraulics so any muck settles there Really though we should never have a problem out here!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: Alan, you don't want to do the rear arms of my CX's, GS's, BX while your at it do you :p :p
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information