Brake sensing foot???
  • Register
  • Help

Brake sensing foot???

Man walks into a cit dealer and buys himself a new C5, he has to reverse out of the dealership but hey he has radar sensors that beep beep beep if he is to close to an obstacle behind him no problems, how cool is that :p as the vehicle moves out of the showroom his rain sensing wipers automaticly start wiping his wind screen, wow how cool is that :p pops the auto into drive and off he floats ups the road unbelievably quite and smooth. Is he happy or what?

Yeah shame he didn't have a brake sensing foot

Advertisement

OK this is not a true story, grabbed the pics off the C5-L cit forum.

Am I getting a little cycnical, in thinking that in older cars we are a little more aware of what is going on around us (even sounds) and in making our own decisions we are not relying on the car to save us from ourselves???

How about that passenger side airbag, looks like the whole dash needs replacing, progress is a wonderful thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for saving lives but some of the passive safety in modern cars is enough to put you to sleep.

Cheers
    chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts
    Hey Chris,

I don't see what you're getting at

I drive like that all the time. Except my old 12 doesn't crumple

(BTW I believe the new 7 series has a distance radar on it - and the next generation will actually slow you down or stop you if you get too close...)

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

yeah Stuey,
    That kind of crap really worries me, may as well run railway lines instead of roads and drive amusement park bumper cars (with seat belts and airbags of course)

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Ispotted where he went wrong!!!!!
    He was trying to drive from the passengers seat. No wonder they have a lot of accidents in Europe and Americaa, it must be hell trying to reach across for the brake pedal :p

Alan S :p
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Alan,
    maybe the brake peddle is an option :p

BTW, Noticed last night a new member no posts as yet, Hervey Bay Q. Cars owned included from memory 2CV D, BX, CX and SM, you'll have to look out for him/her I think Froggy name was Madmax?

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

He's already in the process of ordering a drum of LHM He knows a couple of my sons and yes he will be getting a "sticker" to improve ride and handling and general reliability of his CX.
    If you have his e-mail addy could you drop it to me off line as I need to contact him regarding the order form.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote lifted from C5-L Cit forum

The automatic lights and wipers work very well, although watching the
    wipers switch between intermittent and continuous and speeding up and
    slowing down was a bit mesmerising.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

UFO
    I disagree. Deb and I drove a long way in a Xsara VTS in NZ recently and had many days with rain varying from annoying sprinkles to solid downpours back to sunshine - often in 10 minutes!

Not having to stuff around with the wipers and a variable delay setting was great. Especially in that in between range between intermittent and slow constant.

The day that amazed me though was when we almost literally drove into a wall of rain. Straight away the wipers were flying across the screen without a thought from me. It meant I could concentrate on avoiding being hit by my fellow motorists.

However the auto "get the slow mongrel in front of me out of the way" device didn't seem to function very well at all! All cars should have bazookas I say!!!!

Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Craig,
    I think what I'm getting at here is maybe about just getting too confortable whilst driving, you know sometimes you just gotta turn the air off and wind the windows down and feel whats going on when I jump back into the D after driving the XM I really feel alive maybe because it is more familiar to me, I think I would be less inclined to have an accident on a long drive in the manual D because I am closer to the driving experience, road feel, sounds, sensation of speed etc. making decisions rather than having them made for me. Don't get me wrong I'm Mr gadget but I like the idea of being able to turn them off I guess I'm questioning how far do we go with this cocooning, by building cars to suit the lowest common denominator actual driving skills are being set aside because as long as all the fail safes that are built into modern cars actually work everything is going to be just fine. That complaisance can lead to in-attention and actually put a driver in a potentially dangerous situation?

Bit of a ramble but do you get the jist of what I'm saying. No I'm not suggesting we all drive 203s (great little car) but perhaps there should be more emphasis on driving skills than cotton wool?

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

UFO
    Chris

Yes I agree with what you are saying, and I find I drive my D more carefully and aware also. I think this also has something to do with not wanting to have a prang in it. The thought of wrecking UFO is scary.

Yes there are too many distractions and isolations in cars these days, from sound "systems" to damned coffee cup holders and all the other crud.

I just thought that the auto wipers were great. Now if I could just get around to fitting an intermittent wiper switch to the D - looxury as Eric Idle said.

Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hi Chris/Craig
    Must agree with you on the trend to remove the driver from the use of his/her senses.....
    A friend took my for a spin in his 355 Ferrari
    we did about 240km's(on a test track of course!!)
    and I felt very cold about it ....you didn't feel like you were doing anything like that speed....
    even the engine sounded tame...I prefered the old
    308 GT4 Ferrari that I had...nothing like the sound of a quad cam,V8 with four hungry webers to
    make your day!!!
    Cheers
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Well how about this for the ultimate brake sensing foot?

From last week's New Scientist

Braking with tradition
    12 Jan 02

Drivers take time to switch from the accelerator to the brake pedal, so why not combine the two?

A PEDAL that works as both an accelerator and a brake will save lives if car makers adopt the design, according to Swedish inventor Sven Gustafsson. The idea sounds bizarre, but officials at the Swedish National Road Administration have already done extensive road tests and approved the device for use.

It takes longer to brake in an emergency with separate pedals, says Rickard Nilsson at Uppsala University, who tested out Gustafsson's pedal for the SNRA. It takes at least 0.2 seconds to move your foot from one pedal to the other, he says, and at 90 kilometres per hour this adds five metres to your stopping distance. Another problem with separate pedals is that it's easy to hit the wrong one. A slight misjudgement when going for the brake, perhaps because a driver is wearing a new pair of shoes, can lead to the accelerator being clipped, causing a crash.

With Gustafsson's combined pedal you have to make two distinct motions for accelerating and braking, and you can't do both at the same time. To accelerate you pivot the pedal, while to brake you push the entire pedal mechanism forwards. So accelerating is predominantly an ankle movement, while braking comes from extending the whole leg. "You can go from acceleration to braking instantly, just by pressing the combined pedal forwards," the inventor says. "As soon as you brake the accelerator is switched to idle."

It's not the first time the pedals have been rearranged. Henry Ford was the first to introduce the three-pedal car in 1909. His Model T's accelerator was a lever on the steering column, while the three pedals were a brake, a gear shift and a clutch. Ford later decided that the brake and accelerator should be placed close to each other and operated alternately. By 1928, the Model A had an accelerator pedal and a separate gear control. Automatic transmissions later made the clutch obsolete.

Gustafsson, who hails from the southern Swedish city of Lund, pondered the combined pedal idea for 30 years, but has only just got around to developing it. Now his idea could lead to manual cars with two pedals and automatics with just one. Since the SNRA approved it, he and his wife have been driving their car with one-with no problems.

During his evaluation for the SNRA, Nilsson tested how well drivers adapted to the combined pedal. He set challenging driving tasks to assess the abilities of 18 people before and after they drove about 1000 kilometres with the combined pedal. They took the tests in cars with the combined pedal and with conventional pedals. "They relearn very fast and without very much effort," he says. But Nilsson is worried that drivers using the combined pedal may become accustomed to their improved reaction time and drive more recklessly.

Besides improving normal reaction times, Nilsson believes that the combined pedal could also make cruise control functions safer. Cruise controls allow drivers to set a desired speed for long journeys so they can take their foot off the accelerator and rest it. But because the combined pedal lets the driver rest their entire foot on the pedal while cruise control is activated, they should be able to react to emergencies far quicker.

Volvo is testing the pedal in cars, buses and trucks. But a mass-produced version won't be available to motorists for at least three years, even if manufacturing approval is granted straight away.

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Paul,
    Thanks for that, interesting concept, call me old fashioned but.... In the D I like a bit of heal and toe, braking while holding revs and punching a gear (not that I get to drive that way much these days ) Bit like Craig the thought of bending the beast is getting the better of me :p

Hey Craig I think the bazooka is the better option over the intermitant wipers wonder if you can get one colour coded to your car I'd go for one of those missile launchers seen on the current army commercials mounted through the sunroof

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Thread Information