Berlingo
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Berlingo

Berlingo

Now have nearly 10,000 metro k's up on the "Berlingah" van so I thought I'd tell you how it's going.

There is very little I can fault with it.
    Very comfortable, handles great, very minimal body roll for the supple suspension it has. I have everything in the back very well fastened down so as I can hit those entry ramps at much velocity

Oh the ride... much much better than the Pug!
    When I get out of the B van & into the Pug, man there is a BIG difference
    I thought the Pug (405 STI) rode well (which it does), but not compared to the "work" van.

The performance is not bad, nothing to get excited about. I am carrying the equivalent of nearly 2 extra people with me everywhere I go with all the crap I need for my job.
    You also notice a drop in performance when the batteries (X2) are low on juice - give the alternator a workout.

Very good on fuel. I have had many vans in my time, Toyota, Mitsub, Mazda, Kombi. I can tell you the Berlingo probably performs better & gives better economy.

When filling the tank I have found the only way to fully fill it is to find a bowser with a downhill grade & park the B van nose down. Otherwise it only fills to ¾ full (which is normally what I get). When it does fill I get a fuel smell in the cab.

Originally I had some problems with the clutch pedal sticking to the floor (most annoying) & a grating noise when steering turned to full lock to the right. Both of these faults were easily rectified at it's first service.

These vans would have to beat the Combo van in looks & ride (without a doubt), having never driven a combo.

Vitoria Coffee have a small fleet of Berlingo's running around Silverwater which are gold & look great. Also Grace couriers & NRMA have a couple.

Advertisement

gibgib

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    spotted a berlingo in tomingley 1/2 way between dubbo and parkes the other day parked outside the pub there
    first one i have seen on the road around this area
    thought it was something else untill i saw the citroen emblem on the rear of the van
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Berlingos seem to be breeding like rabbits around Sydney. They're everywhere. It just goes to show what excellent value for money they are. I wish we had Berlingos as courier vehicles where I work, instead of the Festivas, Echos, Accents, Falcons and Camry's. The Festivas and Echos are a bit small when I have a full load, and the Falcons and Camry's are too large and their steering is too light. The Berlingo would combine the large cargo area with a highly manouverable vehicle. The only problem I can see is that our company can only use automatic vehicles due to OH&S considerations. I'm under the impression that the Berlingo is sold in manual only. Am I wrong?

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

They are manual only, in Australia anyway. Don't know about overseas.
    The only opts are the air cond/ air bag, colour from the factory I am aware of.
    OH&S? Are they scared you might brake a nail?
    I've never heard that before

Dave,

I presume OH&S is what we refer to up here as workplace health & safety.
    Tell you what - they don't make 'em like they used to; I've had company vehicles with no brakes, blown mufflers & baldy tyres which I must admit is taking it a bit far.
    Biggest thrill of the lot was when a throttle jammed wide open on a Holden panel van on the Story Bridge at peak hour on the Story Bridge one Friday afternoon. Should have seen the expression on the copper's face on traffic duty on one of the intersections when I was the first car & was sitting there turning the key on & off so that the motor wouldn't self destruct. I am dead set sure he thought I was either trying to show my impatience or I was getting away from a hold-up
    Perhaps if your bosses were to talk to a couple of my ex-employers it might toughen 'em up a bit

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Dave,

Are you serious? OHS considerations?!? Don't they realise driving Fords are already a health hazard! The Festivas at work are always wanting skid out at corners and always threatening to roll over at round abouts. In the rain, it's almost impossible to see because the wipers are lousy.

At Douglas, some of the couriers have such disgusting hygiene that the interiors become a health hazard. In fact, one of the ladies had to switch cars because the other courier driving her car had such bad BO that it was making her sick! Sometimes I have to wipe the steering and gear shift with alcoholic wipes to clean off the food oil.
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

Yeah Bill, I agree entirely.

For those who haven't already guessed, Bill and I work for the same company.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Be on the lookout for another Berlingo decked out like mine hurtling around the Sydney streets

A work collegue of mine was impressed with my Berlingo & decided to buy one too!

He picked it up last Saturday 8/10.
    I'll post a picture when I get a look at it myself.

Good choice 'ole son

gibgib

After a years procrastination I too am a Belingo owner. Its a great little car and no body roll, very unCitroen in this respect. But after 25years of old ones a car without rattles and vibration is very nice. By the way all Belingos are now with aircon, air bag the only option is remote locking remote/heated mirrors and that funny little hatch for the ladder. If I can figure it out I will post a picture, we went overboard with the signwriting!
    Mark McKibbin

Hi markm,

Yeah I'd enjoy sign writing my van but unfortunately my contract states I must have a plain white commercial vehicle
    This also includes no bumper stickers
    I will be breaking that clause when the aussiefrogs ones are ready though
    Would like to see a picture!

I think I've worked it out here is the URL: http://www.mckibbin.net/images/pics.htm
    Mark McKibbin

I drove a Berlingo for a day a couple of weeks ago. You'll see the very same white van on 'Stingers'... anyway it was a brilliant van - I expected a crude Hilux/Triton/Econovan type vehicle but I think I go a Xsara with a metal box grafted to the back. I wasn't carrying anything at the time so the tail was a tad boucy but it was comfortable, handles as well as the 405, moves very well for a 1.4 and flies over speed-humps.
    I don't quite like the sticky clutch though - might have been unique to that car. Love the trick passenger seat.

Unfortunately, because 2 of the 10 'drivers' in the company can't drive manual cars, we're looking at a Japanese commercial vehicle instead. Great pity.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

The Berlingo is base on the Xsara floorpan so I'm told.
    If that is the case the Xsara must be an exceptional car, especially if it had a bit of performance.

markm, your van looks snazzy.
    Is that blue? Looks darker in the picture.
    Thought you may have had it done black.

Does your company have web hosting?

If the Belingo is based on a Xsara does that mean I can lever a 2.0 Ltr donk into it?

And yes we do web host (free to good causes like French car clubs and the likes of Aussiefrogs)
    Mark McKibbin

MarkM,
    Couldn't resist, hope you don't mind but I have only recently figured how to post pics. Anyhow, welcome, the Belingo looks great!!

Also like to see posts in the Citroen forum we're running third in a three car contest

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

I noticed a place in Queensland boasting Mi16 conversions for Berlingo's. That'd be OK

Thanks for you offer with hosting
    I'll email you about it

You are all right there a lot of Berlingo's in Sydney, they are everywhere. I say this as a Rabid Renault Fanatic also...The Renault Kangoo van is even more exceptional than the Berlingo. Its colourful looking front end and big lights are great and it does have auto transmission which Im looking forward to when they eventually come to Australia. I went in one once that was parked down myt street a bit. (a couple where travelling in it around the world), they are fantastic.

1000+ Posts
    The Berlingo is supposed to edge out the Kangoo for handling etc. Like the idea of the hose out interior / rubber mats in the Kangoo, though. Besides that, Gordon Murray (McLaren F1 designer) drives one...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I wonder how it compares with the Peugeot Partner? From the outside there is a huge reseamblance...

I sat in a Berlingo in Paris at "Hippo Citroen" on the Champs Elysees about 2½ years ago (before Aus saw any) & was thinking how comfortable they were for a work van.
    Never thought I'd own one but

Thread Information