16 valve BX for sale
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

16 valve BX for sale

What would you expect to pay for a 1989 BX 16 valve?
    The vehicle has a genuine 32,000 km, with all the usual bits. It has been garaged all it's life, and kept registered but not used other than driven to the registration check for the last 5 years.
    Colour red, sun roof and bonnet and light protectors purchased but never fitted!!
    Thanks

Advertisement

Michael,

What a mouthwatering prospect :p a 16V with almost zero k's on the clock.
    I presume you are looking at buying and not selling is that correct?
    As a buyer I would be thinking about it's value less what will probably need to be done to make it a reliable proposition.
    Firstly and most important, new cam belt; no ifs buts or maybes!! If this car has been sitting for 5 years then the cam belt, although 80K klms recommended change interval, is past its use by date and could snap at any time due to the time it would have spent sitting in the one spot and thereby making it prone to zoneal flexing.
    If the car has been sitting on flat spheres, then the potential for up to four new spheres exists.
    How does the coolant look. If a bit crappy, is there any internal corrosion due to lack of use?
    Oil, type and when was it last changed? Mineral oils can tend to go acidic with age; can't speak for synthetics. Has there been any signs of rodent activity? Check wires and cam belt cover as particular spots.
    Good late model 16V's have appeared priced from $11,900 to $14990 but whether they got the asking price is another story. You have to allow at least $1000 for the basic contingencies to cover yourself.
    A dealer will probably go $5000 - $7000 but I feel a realistic honest price would be $10 - $12000.
    Just my thoughts, based on what I paid for mine and what has appeared on the market since.

Hope it's some help. As a seller I would be inclined to think about Auction with a reserve price around the above figures.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole
    Alan,
    You are right, I am not the seller. The vehicle is stored on stands (no tyre flat spots) when not used. The seller tells me he starts the engine and brings it to opperating temp at least every 2 months - usually monthly. The fluids look good - nice and green - except for the oil!!
    I take your point on the rubbers as these items wear just sitting still. The owner is asking the "ridiculous" price of $18,000. I have told him he is dreaming as I can pick up a good Xantia for that price, so I don't think I will be buying unless he comes down a great deal.
    Cheers

Yeah, bit ambitous at that kind of price.
    There was a Xsara in Sydney a couple of weeks back almost new that was for sale due to an overseas shift that was $18,000 ono which would have been a far better buy.
    The thing with a BX is that they are very underrated as a car and I think the fact that they were sold during the time of a fair bit of upheaval in the distributorship in Australia meant that they didn't reach their full potential out here. Prices seem to have stabilised overseas but their used market is so overstocked that it really is no guide to out here.
    I still reckon 12 is really its tops but someone who really intended keeping the car for years and really looking after it "may" justify $14000 but I have doubts.
    They reckon quality remains long after price is forgotten but in this case I think if you popped a quick 100K klms on the clock, you'd question that philosophy

There is a '93 model for sale in Queensland for $9250 (probably 8 1/2 would buy it) with 150 K's on the clock as a guide to value and another near Brisbane for $6900.

Alan S

ouch !
    Have any of you thought about importing cars from NZ?! Since we began importing huge numbers of used Japanese rejects, the car values here have plummeted. I bought my BX16v for $NZ2000. OK, it's not perfect, but it is a tidy '89 with 134,ooo miles. Goes superbly, only needs a few very minor cosmetics. I'd call it a screaming bargain, but you could certainly get some other Frenchies for waaay below Aussie prices. Try going to <a href="http://www.trade-exchange.co.nz" target="_blank">www.trade-exchange.co.nz</a> to see. Go to "cars for sale" part and search on Pug / Cit / etc.

Feedback on this topic invited!
    cheers
    Phil

Read all about it!!!!
    <a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000249" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000249</a>

Much easier said than done.

Alan S

Tadpole
    Thanks for all the info on prices etc. I had a look at the NZ site.
    What is a Citroen ZX
    Cheers

A Citroen ZX is a smallish 3 or 5 door, replaced the GS I suppose, as it's smaller than a BX. Very good petrol and diesel variants. Quite an anonamous looking car, but pleasant, and apparently they are fantastic handlers. Try a web search....

PG

Thread Information