Guess who bought an XM
  • Register
  • Help

Guess who bought an XM

Yep.... yes sir...yes sirreeee...
    Picked it up on thursday afternoon, still going great (chuckles to himself) thanks to all who helped in there own way to my decision Alan, Derek, Paul, Shane and gibgib. I hold you fully responsible!!! The car seems to be in perfect health given it's age 10 on the 18th. of June. I'll keep this topic going and keep you posted as to my impressions of the car over my time of ownership. Pics soon in the members gallery.

Life is good
    (I hope this Citroen keeps moving me)
    Cheers
    Chris

Advertisement
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Good stuff!

An XM is my type of car for sure
    All you fast pug drivers need to get a feel for REAL comfort

So are you keeping the D?
    It's the one you took home overnight right?
    92 model...how many clicks?

gibgib

gibgib,
    yeah same car, don't you hate it when you take a car for a test drive and it lives up to all of your expectations? I just had to have it. My very understanding and supportive wife (Paul show your wife this) is right behind me, she loves it, I have driven a tad over the speed limit and not a squeak from the passenger seat, just positive comments on the smooth ride, looks like I might have a bit of fun again. She's done 160,000k the car that is, and serviced every 10,000 almost to the kilometer, by Maxim Motors until they closed down and the later servicing has been carried out by Ian Reddiex at Euroserve here in Brisbane. The D is still in the family, I guess If you drive Citroens you need a spare... not that I'm suggesting that there unreliable (I'm not!) Its just that one is not enough, there was a time quite a few years back now B.M. (before marriage) that I owned six, ahh bliss. The D might get some cosmetic attention now, get that rear door fixed etc. My better half drives a Disco (nasty V8) she is showing a lot of interest in the Scenic, saw one in the flesh and is keen to test drive, savings on fuel should just about cover the repayments LOL.
    Looking forward to planning a long drive and really experience the XM. I'm exCITed. Hmm long weekend here in Queensland let see Sydney.. Melbourne.. glass of wine in S.A. Dubbo Zoo, back by Tuesday......
    Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Tadpole
    Gongratulations! Another victim... no, just kiddin'..
    I do hope you won't meet any nastyness with your XM, you probably won't because it's got a FSH.

CU, Paul

Paul,
    Just noticed your website, are these all cars you have owned? All you Aussies out there check out the pic of the Dyane, do I see a Hills hoist in the background ahh.. there everywhere!!!

Paul all's fine so far the cars going great, just looking for a chance to stretch it's legs.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Hi all,
    Just a bit of an update on the XM. It's about six weeks since I bought the car and up until today It's been a flawless honeymoon. Today I laid a GreenBlood oil slick from one end of beautiful Oxford street Bulimba to the other. Looks like I lost a high pressure line at the power steering, still to be diagnosed, when I pulled up I left what was remaining of my LHM in our driveway at work. Ah yes the joys of Citroen, so off it went on the back of a tilt truck. Before you Pug guys get too smug this is only the second time I have been let down (no pun) by the hydraulics on a Citroen in some 25 years of driving Cits. As fate would have it a tow truck was delivering a car next door and was thrilled when I approached him to cart mine off. So I'm back in the D again, could be a lot worse.
    Funny when I was going home couldn't believe the number of cars sliding into each other hitting trees, pedestrians and causing all kinds of havock.... kidding .. I'm just kidding.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Tadpole
    Hello, yes, all cars did belong to me. I just finished the Dutch comments, now starting the English translation. May take some time, as holidays are coming.. Had loads of mysery with my XM though, but everything's OK again. To keep a long story short, timingbelt => 7 broken valves => revised cylinderhead & new starterengine (was'nt related but still broken though). The good news is the excessive use of oil is gone!
    C u all, Paul

Tadpole
    O yeah, i will (eventually) scan the pictures i, my wife and my son took while repairing the XM and put them with comments and the entire story on my website. Will be september i guess...

Hey Paul,
    Silly Question whats FSH? Sorry to hear about your troubles, are the cams, belt or chain driven. I'm told on the '91 V6 they are chain. Keep going with that web site there's not too many out there for the XM.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Tadpole
    FSH? Well, that's what all the UK blokes are talkin' about. It's a Full Service History. And i haven't got it.. OK, a growing pile of (payed) bills... but if that's what they mean at BBC's TopGear...
    Holiday in Bretagne was super, no problems at all, and as stated before, no oil-use anymore. One happy dude here...

Tadpole
    O yeah forgot. I've got a 2.0i petrol car, 8 valves, and no chain. Only the V6 has got chains, and that's a very good idea, for the V6 is a bugger to work on... (no room at all around the block). So, there's a timing belt.

Tadpole
    Dear Greenblood, in a posting earlier on you state: do I see a Hills hoist in the background ahh.. there everywhere.

What is a Hills?

regards, Paul

Paul,
    Back in the fifties just about every Australian backyard (Garden) had a Hills Hoist, they are still around in droves but they now have competition with all kinds of folding and or collapsing clothes line gadgets. Aussies are very familiar with them and it was fun to see one in your pics.

Following is a quote from a web site I found by searching on Hills Hoist...

The Hills Hoist is an Australian icon, synonymous with the Australian way of life.
    The Hills Hoist is a rotary clothes line fitted with a hoist operated by a crown and pinion winding mechanism which allows the frame to be raised and lowered. It was developed and marketed by Lance Hill in 1945 after he returned from the war. The idea of a rotary clothes line wasn't new - US patent 434921 of 26 August 1890 is much earlier and there were similar products in Australia. Hillís initial patent application lapsed, but he obtained a patent in 1956 for the winding mechanism. Hills Hoists are now sold throughout Australia, Asia, Europe and North America. The Hills name has trade mark protection for a variety of products.

Sorry for being so long winded,

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Tadpole
    Hope your XM is still going well.

I owned one and can tell you a different story.
    Transmission blowing up at 60,000 KM. Electrical problems etc. I sold it while it was still going.

Cost me AUD $7000 in repairs in two years.
    Dropped $20,000 in price too.
    Absolutely no help from the Citroen Dealer I bought it from in Melbourne.

I was looking at a new car last year and keen on C5 but I went for better value, looks (and better ride!!??) was with the Rover 75.

Also owned cx2200, Xantia, 74 DS23EfiPallas & currently restoring 72 D Special (which is the best of the lot)

Mister D,

Wow this thread is a blast from the past, almost two years since I acquired my XM, and happy to report that apart from the split high pressure line mentioned earlier I continue to have a dream run. The car is absolutely sensational, the only hic-cup with electrics has been a false brake light warning, about every three months or so I clean the brake light bulb terminals and problem solved.

I can tell you too, that I paid less for mine than you lost in depreciation, so that may put a different perspective on how I view the car. The XM was never an $80,000.00 car when it was introduced to Australia and typically those first cars were Citroen's Beta versions that did nothing to build brand loyalty or reputation. One thing I am hearing more about is the issue of support from dealers, we were indeed fortunate in Brisbane with Maxim Motors who no doubt had one of the best reputations well earned by looking after their customers beyond their requirement, maybe contributing ultimately to their downfall, if they were not getting the same support from Citroen.

Interesting too your impressions of the C5, looking at the cars you have owned you are well qualified to judge ride and comfort, we bought a C5 HDi in January this year after driving several offerings from other manufactures, didn't even consider the Rover so can't comment there, but as a package nothing we looked at came close to the Citroen. I'm very impressed with the ride but acknowledge it is closer to conventional than its predecessors, we love the hatch configuration, the roomy interior, and of course the myriad of gismos, ours came with leather, electric seats and a few other goodies that dollar for dollar placed it well in front of it’s opposition, We were particularly interested in a diesel as my wife does reasonable mileage each week so fuel economy became a factor in our choice.

Looks…. Well if beauty is only skin deep I hope the Rover fulfils your other criteria as well as the C5 does ours, I really don’t have a problem with the looks, I guess like most owners of Citroens past I was disappointed with how conservative the styling is, but as a strategy to improve market share maybe Citroen did their homework, sales success with the C5 will allow them to live to fight another day, roll on the C6.

Anyway welcome to Aussiefrrogs email me with your postal address for your free Aussiefrogs sticker ( for use only on your D if used on your Rover it will self destruct taking the car and occupants with it!!!!) Don't 'spose you'll be making the trip to Queensland over Easter for Cit In, nah who'd want to drive all that way in a Rover roll_lau

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Thread Information