Comfortable, quiet tyres?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Comfortable, quiet tyres?

Hi all,
    I need 2 new tyres for the front of my XM V6.
    I would like to buy the most comfortable, quiet tyres I can (205/60/15). Any suggestions or experience with which brands/patterns are quietest? Currently running Uniroyal "The Rain Tyre" which are excellent in the wet (obviously), but do transmit some road noise and sharp bump shocks.
    Cheers,
    PaulE

Advertisement

UFO
    Paul

My XM has Michelin MXV3As all round and they seem very quiet to me and handle well too. Not sure of the price as I have only had the car four months or so and it came with fairly new tyres.

As the size is fairly standard you should have a wide range to pick from. From experience on other cars though I would stay away from Dunplops and Continentals.

Rgds

Craig K
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

It depends a fair bit on compounds as well, of course, but you can often get a good idea of the amount of noise a tyre will make from the treat pattern. The chunkier the noisier, the more the groves follow the circumference of the tyre, the quieter.

Generally too the "harder" the compound, the quieter the tyre, so tyres with good wear characteristics are often quieter than faster wearing, better gripping, tyres.

From memory of another thread here, Rolls Royce used to fit Avons partly because of their quietness.

Following on from Craig, my wife's SEAT was originally fitted with Michelin MXV3a's. Can't remember what she has on them these days, and the car isn't home right now, but the replacements were significantly quieter than the Michelins when new. Mind you, the Michelins worked well on the SEAT (better than the replacements).

I'd be looking for a compromise - don't want you listening to the "sounds of silence" on your head in a gutter somewhere on a rainy night!

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 05 June 2002, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Paul,

If you were to speak to a Cit dealer he would doubtless say Michelin. Their argument is that the cars are developed & tested on them amongst a stack of other reasons. BX's were supposedly fitted with them as a compromise and to improve the ride so that it closer resembled a CX in quality
    I have had more dramas with Michelin than with all other tyres put together. My present car (CX) had a set of them on when I bought it and so far I have had trouble with 4 of them, plus a spare, also a Michelin from one of my sons cars.
    I went to Falkens on the 16 Trs and was impressed with them and when I got the 16V I replaced the front two also with Falkens which this time were directional.
    We have one stretch of road in town that has this strange characteristic of causing tyres to make all sorts of noises when driven on and this was very noticeable with the Michies. I drove over it on the way home with the Falkens and was over it before I realised; there was no noise whatsoever.
    Another feature of the Falkens is that they are all made in Japan so the quality is consistent. This is not the case with Michelins as I found out and hence started looking at different brands when I got the first set for the BX.
    On the down side I did notice that they tended to torque steer under hard acceleration which is a bit of a thrill at first but something you tend to allow for when driving. Wear rates have been good; mine have done around 20K klms on the front and wouldn't be 50% down yet. Tops in the wet, never had aquaplaning but then you know what the weather has been like - bit hard to aquaplane in the desert blush
    Price around $125 - $145 depending on what's on special that week.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Craig,

What types of Contis did you use? I'm finding the Conti PremiumContacts on the 307 to be pretty good. Quiet, sticky, and good in the wet. They're about $149 fitted.

Michelins always seem to be safe.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

UFO
    Used some of the Eco model on Deb's Magna. They were stuffed in under 20000 km. Not what I'd call economical!!

And yes alignment and pressure was fine all the time.

grrr

CK
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

i echo alans michelin woes....sidewalls that hate rough roads...had one last less than a week on a renault 16 and no refund....

1000+ Posts
    Our XM V6 has Michelin Energy 205/60/15 tyres on it. Not sure of the exact 'model' number.

They are quiet (except when pushed on aussiefrogs drives and *everyone* pointed out how much they squealed cornering he he he) and seem to be wearing quite well according to dad. Never had any problems in the wet.

Our XM's actually about to be put into semi-retirement for a while. It's been doing almost 30 000km p.a. for the last few years as a work vehicle, but it's about to be replaced with a Falcon ute as dad's daily driver *gasp*

Derek.

Tadpole
    Thanks for all your replies guys. I've called 6 tyre dealers, and each says something contrary to the previous one.
    One very reputable dealer told me they'd had experience with Michelins on Honda Accords and they transmitted a lot of road noise. They replaced them with Yokohama and the noise problem disappeared.
    Also, as per Alan S's experience, I've been recommended to try Falken as they are Japanese quality and very quiet. Good tread pattern too.
    I think I'll steer (pardon the pun) clear of the cheap and cheerful imports from S.E Asia, although even Michelin are now often made in obscure countries.
    Any other experiences?
    Regards,
    PaulE
    P.S. XM back on the road again after replacing front struts & upper mounts and reconditioning CV joints. The old RH strut mount was completely separated from the rubber. Don't know how it didn't go through the bonnet. I got late model second hand ones from Ireland. Really cheap.
    I'll take a pikkie of the old mount to post on frogs.
    Cheers,
    PaulE

Paul,

How did Willy (Nelson?) send the bits over & what was the freight cost? Prices I've seen from UK are a bit scarey (a couple of used bits the other day that would have only weighed a few grams cost $20) The Dutch seem to have the overseas freight under control and I was told a couple of days ago by a guy from Scotland that surface mail is still possible on larger items from over there but I don't know how reliable it might be.
    If you do decide to look at Michelins, you'll find different types come from different countries. The ones to suit my 16 V from memory were from Cambodia eek! balmy summers nights, cheap duty free grog and maidens in grass skirts, fair enough, but tyres??? blush whilst the ones for the CX were from Mexico or Brazil. Again great place to watch bull fighting or have a cup of coffee clown BTW, make sure greenblood has his heart attack pill under his tongue before you post the pic of the front struts eek!
    Don't forget to post them "elsewhere" at tthe same time.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Alan S wrote...
    make sure greenblood has his heart attack pill under his tongue before you post the pic of the front struts
    Alan, my car has had the fronts struts and mounts replaced with the modified later model parts, thanks to Chevron cars here in Brisbane, they did this as a matter of course before they sold the car. Unlike your mate 'arry, who I hear is no longer with us eek! :p eek! Chevron will stand the test of time. My biggest concern (likely to bring on a heart attack) of late was that the CX Turbo sold for $29G and pictures of you at the opera house would be posted on the net eek! eek! fortunately it's still for sale at well under that wink

Paul, I'm a sad case I know, but I'd love to see the pics, did you take progessive shots to document the job? would be useful in the files section of the board. Let me know how you get on with tyres I'm about 6 months from having to make the same decision, I'll probably put the MXV3s on, always have run Michies even on the Disco eek!

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts
    Paul,

I checked the tires when dad got home before - they are Michelin MXV3A the same as Greenblood's got.

Are you any close to stopping the snatching/jerkiness on the throttle in your car? We were following it on XM-L.

Continental Cars here in Sydney say they can't get the capacitor, and now Joe (can't remember surname) at ATECO is trying to find out how to get them. ATECO didn't know anything about the problem because the modification was done to XM's before ATECO took over Citroen in Australia apparently.

Continental Cars have been looking at the S1 XM's they've been servicing and most don't snatch and have a Ducelier (sp?) branded capacitor bridged between the two pins mentioned in the diagram that was posted on XM-L.

Derek.

Deka wrote
    they are Michelin MXV3A the same as Greenblood's got.
    No Derek at the momement mine is running Uniroyals same as Paul, I too find them harsh, though not noisy, there is something about Cits and Michelin that compliment one another, at least that's what I have experienced with the multitude of Citroens I have owned, always been dissapointed with other brands maybe with the exception of Toyos on a Safari I owned, good grip and you couldn't kill those tyres.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Tadpole
    Hi all,
    Re: the strut parts from Willie, I needed them urgently, so had to bite the bullet and have them sent airmail. Willie drove over the border to post them as the UK's Royal mail is cheaper than the Eire system. Took about 8 working days, but were delivered to the front door without having to pay customs duty (they had been opened and inspected by Customs here, hence the delay in arriving). Cost for postage was UK£98.60. Surface mail wasn't going to be all that much cheaper actually.
    Putting them back in was a piece of cake. couple of hours all up (with limited workshop facilities), including the reconditioned drive shafts. Off to the tyre dealers today for a reccie. Having had the car off the road for a few weeks I'm not game to put it in the garage for a little while (wife) to check out the jerky throttle problem, but as soon as work eases off I'll attack it and let you know which capacitor is best. Just as a matter of interest, what ts THE correct automatic fluid to put in the box. Dexron 3?
    Cheers,
    PaulE

1000+ Posts
    Whoops Chris I meant that we've got the same tires as Craig's got on his XM...

Speaking of Michelins the Michelin Certis i've got on my 306 are made in Thailand

They seem fairly good though.

Paul: that'd be great if you can let us know how you go with the jerky throttle problem.

Derek

ive got the thailand michies on my bx...they are almost noisy enough to drown out the dashboard creaks...avoid...

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hmm,

I think there the michies on our BX, mate your dash mustn't be rattling enough if you can here the tires loudly Since I've put the new driveshaft in I now have the comforting howling of a rear wheel bearing following me in my travels As soon as you fix one thing......

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole
    What do you do when you have a BX dash falling to bits as well as Mitchilins from Cambodia? You will never go sleep!! All of us country bumpkins should own a BX !!
    eager_66

I had Pirelli P6000 on my 205 gti...found them very sticky and quiet enough....(couldn't hear the tyres over the dash rattles wink ) I was talked into some continental sport contacts and they gave extremely harsh feedback even at lower psi. They seemed chalky and were crap in the wet.... went back to P6000's haven't looked back, though you are looking upwards of $160 per tyre and they're a bit softer than MXV range tongue
    Peugeot 306 GTi6
    Peugeot 205 GTiS2, you want it? call me 0414 996 499,

Tadpole
    Ah, Well, funny you should mention Pirelli P6000's. That's what I've ordered (out of stock locally till Tuesday) from the local Pirelli agent, and they've quoted me $155 per tyre for 205/60/15, which is $36 per tyre CHEAPER than Bob Jane T-Marts quote.
    Roll on Tuesday!
    Cheers,
    PaulE

Fellow Frogger!
    P6000's are good but wear like cheese, as I found out on my 306xt. Don't laugh but I recently put some Simex SM800's on a P6 Rover (very noise sensitive due to front coils mounted on the firewall) they are very quiet, smooth and grip is exellent, they also came out tops for wear and value for money in a recent Car magazine test. Size to fit your Cit would be about $100.
    Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten!

1000+ Posts
    Don't laugh, indeed! I've put them on the R12 after them being recommended by a few people. My assessment is the same as yours; very quiet, smooth, and top grip. A nice soft compound. I can't vouch for longevity, but also, this doesn't worry me too much on such a light car. Mine cost $79 (!!) for 175/75-13's, but a colleague got 195/65-14's for his Mondeo for exactly the same price. The SM800 is 'H' rated, too.

Oh, and they've got a nice square profile with a modern open tread pattern - good in the wet.

Stuey

<small>[ 09 June 2002, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Stuey ]</small>

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole
    Last word on tyres: I bought the Pirelli P6000 Powergy's and they're just what the doctor ordered. Comfortable, quiet and smooth. Sorry Mr. Michelin! Wear rates remain to be seen of course.
    Byeeee,
    PaulE

nJm
    Just back on the place of origin of Michelin tyres - my 505 has Michelin MXTE (the only 185/80 tyres that are available???). These Michelin's were made in China...

as for my spare Michelin - I believe it is the original tyre from 1982 eek! eek! eek!

My rear's are getting fairly worn. Are there any other makes of 185/80 tyres? I suppose I should spend the extra $$$ and buy a set of 5 new 185/75's frown
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

PaulE

I'm up for a couple of tyres on the XM shortly. How have the Pirelli P6000 Powergys been treating you?

Regards,
    Peter B
    1992 V6

PS - haven't changed an accumulator sphere have you?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information