AX Drivers, where are all of you
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

AX Drivers, where are all of you

Hi Guys, One of the things ive noticed, puddling round in my little AX, is that they are very very scarce, has anyone on the board ever owned one, or had any experience with them?

Advertisement

------------------

I test drove a silver '91 model at Penrith when I was looking at changing from my 205GTI.
    Certainately had some go (but not quite like the 205).
    I'd own an AX without any resistance if the opportunity came up & needed something small & nippy
    The one I drove had "XFILE" as it's rego...
    He was asking $7000, this was 2 years ago.
    I know of another at Toowoomba, a guy by the name of Jeff I think.
    They are rare & under-rated.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Yep, there very rare in Australia. But if you do a search at 'yahoogroups' for 'citroen ax' you should find a list for them. The CX,BX,DS lists certainly are very active. I don't know about the ax list...

seeya...
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Hi, owned a black '91 3 door, (91GTI), for three years, from what I've heard it now delivers pizzas around Arana Hills. Great skate, but years of incurable problems with the fuel injection got to me in the end. My new Xsara coupe isn't quite providing the same xcitement.
    You won't see many, they're supposed to have sold less than 50 of them (3 & 5 door)nationwide, and a few have already been written off.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Icon12 My AX GT

Hi Forum, I only found this site today so quite looking forward to reading all the posts.
    I bought my 1991 AXGT in 2001 & she's done pretty well so far. Unfortunately her ignition barrel collapsed last week so she's in for repairs, but she's so economical that the money I save on fuel costs makes up for what she costs in service/repairs.
    Cheers
    Ally67

Hey,

I have seen a few around but they arent very common at all!

Anyone got any idea as to how many were sold here in austrialia?

Cyas Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Fellow Frogger!

Default Toodyay

There is a nice one in Toodyay Western Australia.

Spoke to owner a few months ago he also has 2cv

Looked realy nice and he was considering selling it, do not know if he did.

Graelin

Ally I have been in quite a few of them in europe and in France they are used for "la poste" and by the police as cop cars.
    They are a very good little car and very economical. The interior is very funky too.
    A good citroen from the 90's.

I've had 4 AX's. They are great little cars, The first one was a GT, and the wiring to the alternator was not secure. The crank pulley ate its way though the the wire, causing the car to catch fire! I then bought a 11RE model. This car was not looked after by its previous owner, the spark plug leads were shot. So much detonation going on, it blew a piston! You can only buy them in sets of 4, which would have cost £450. Much more than the car was worth, so I scrapped it. Next was annother GT. huge fun, but I lent it to a mate who crashed it! Finally, I had an 11TRE memphis. I bought this as a go to work car because the CX turbo was too expensive to use as an every day ride. The day I was having this car MOT'd, I wrote off the CX turbo! They can be very economical, a lot of fun, and are easy to look after. The AX forum is not very active at all. I would have have annother if I didn't need all my stuff to be able to tow a caravan!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AX Drivers, where are all of you-citroen-ax-11tge1.jpg  
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H
    Hi, owned a black '91 3 door, (91GTI), for three years, from what I've heard it now delivers pizzas around Arana Hills. Great skate, but years of incurable problems with the fuel injection got to me in the end. My new Xsara coupe isn't quite providing the same xcitement.
    You won't see many, they're supposed to have sold less than 50 of them (3 & 5 door)nationwide, and a few have already been written off.
    Your old AX is regularly spotted down the road from my girlfriends house in Clontarf, redcliffe. I recognise its exhaust when it goes past (sounds the same as kens AxGT (brother)).

Dave

Icon4 Ive got one!

I have an AX GT- Its gotta be the most fun thing I've ever driven. Every corner is exiting. I've been driving it for about a year.. And love it.
    Dad tried to sell it last year but there was no interest. Funny eh?
    Its great for city driving, but a little un-forgiving on long trips. And passengers in the back can get a little, spewy when zipping around.

We had an AXGT for about 3yrs until we sold it 3 years ago. It was my GF's car & she absolutely loved it! We ended up selling it to her Dad who also loved it. All up about 150,000 trouble free km. It was a great handling car but had the normal bad quality interior that possesed all French cars through the 80's & early to mid 90's. We still see it around & is going strong. WA had more than our fair share of AX's in Oz as the local dealer was used to offload a few extra left on the wharf in Freo which other dealers in Oz didnt want to take. At last count there were about 15 in WA that I know of. Couldnt think of a better hatch around $3-4k which will would a great example. Much better than the boring Saxo which replaced it!
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

They lacked cup holders but compensated by having french water bottles in the doors or something like that....

Tadpole

Icon7 Cit AX GT

I have owned a silver AX GT for two and a half years. Great fun to drive around the city.

Although it only had 80,000 kms on the clock when I bought it the brakes were not much good and I have had to find replacement parts for the airconditioning.

Currently has 93,000 kms on the clock and oil is starting to appear in the radiator indicating a possible head gasket problem. Strangely there does not appear to be any water in the oil.

Very economical (500kms a tank of petrol around town).

I am finding it increasingly difficult to find parts in Perth for it. I hope to keep it for a few years longer.

Gordo.

Quote Originally Posted by AxGT
    has anyone on the board ever owned one, or had any experience with them?
    Howdy AXGT..

My Dad drives one. a 92 (i think) red gt 2 door.

I have "borrowed" it on the odd occasion and find it an absolute ball to drive. Heavy steering though, but i dont mind that, at least you know what your wheels are doing. the only problem with it is the closeness of the pedals and the lack of footwell space - but u do get used to it.

I find it a lot like a mini, the way people look at it form the side of the road and grin (cos its soo cute, or cos its funny lookin i dont know??). I think the axgt has to be one of the cutest 80s designed hot-hatches around... love the body kit with its twin spoilers!

I also saw a 4 door this morning in newtown. Suprisingly enough, my girlfriend spotted it before me.

Surely a rare sight though.

I heard the actual import numbers for the gt we're only about 60. so no wonder.
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Gordo
    I have owned a silver AX GT for two and a half years. Great fun to drive around the city. Gordo.
    Where are all these new WA froggers coming from .. just noticed there has been an influx of new members from this state ... how did you find out about AF ?? The Web, advertising, sticker slapping ??? Just wondering (Oh and Welcome Gordo

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

moosey

Quote Originally Posted by zykyra
    Couldnt think of a better hatch around $3-4k which will would a great example. Much better than the boring Saxo which replaced it!
    Can't say that I agree with the Saxo comment. You obviously haven't ever driven a Saxo VTS??? Love the AX though (in GT form anyway). They're a crazy little car! Although interior trim makes a 205 GTi look royal.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Where are all these new WA froggers coming from .. just noticed there has been an influx of new members from this state ... how did you find out about AF ?? The Web, advertising, sticker slapping ??? Just wondering (Oh and Welcome Gordo

- xTc -
    I came across AF while surfing the net trying to find an evaporator for the air con. I previously had a 2CV for nearly 5 yearswhich I sold in December 2004 - great car and loads of fun.

In a year or so i will look at selling the AX and getting a BX19 which is more classic Citroen (my wife won't let me have both).

I won't something very comfotable and distictively citroen.

Tadpole

Default Ive had my AXGT since new

Ive given it to my daughter, and at 250k is still going strong. The brakes were never great, but I drove the car for long distances and found it fun. It still is. The cooling system was the first major hicup I had with it, and it was never repaired properly, so was a gremlin for a time.

The wiring etc was all reliable, and still is. I have had a BX16v and now a 2.0 litre Xantia. The former being a better drivers car and a true stable mate of its smaller sibling the AXGT.

I have an air con compressor spare if anyone can use one. Im also after a white tow point cover (front) which everyone seems to have lost from theirs also.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordo

Currently has 93,000 kms on the clock and oil is starting to appear in the radiator indicating a possible head gasket problem. Strangely there does not appear to be any water in the oil.
    I found out about this on my BX 16 valve - it's because the oil pressure is greater than the coolant pressure (oil in the water), until you stop the engine anyway... When you drain the oil you might find some gunge in the sump - better to fix it now before it does some damage...

You aren't in Lesmurdie/Kalamunda by any chance?? I've seen an AX up this way.

Cheers,

Chris

Tadpole

i'm 18 just passed my test and as a first car mum got me an AXGT (she used to work in a citroen dealer in commercial road south yarra, she actually sold my car new to a man who lived around that area) my car is slightly dinged, the old man had a stroke while driving and thus the drivers door is gouged, but hoping to get it fixed, my exhaust has fallen off (is this a common problem with AX'sn b/c i noticed that he has already replaced the exhaust b4)
    and recently someone reversed into my car and broke my back left light, as a result i had to get a new one(they of course don't sell just the cover, just a whole new light) but the new one isn't as good it doesn't have the white reverse light, its sort of a pinkish colour, it just looks soo violated, my poor little car. o well need to wait until i break it again then i'll get a proper one again but i love driving my ax, its soo much better than my previous car(dihatsu charade, and yes i did say the ax was my first car, but thats b/c i didn't get to drive the charade after getting my P's, it was broken into and had the door replaced, and then the AX came up for sale, so the charade was punted, and i have my beautiful AX now)

Fellow Frogger!

I had one in the UK a few years ago. Absolutely brilliant fun. If only they still made (and sold here) something that would make me smile so much!
    unfrogged (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H
    one for sale in august avante garde( qld cit club )

Quote Originally Posted by eds3028
    i'm 18 just passed my test and as a first car mum got me an AXGT (she used to work in a citroen dealer in commercial road south yarra, she actually sold my car new to a man who lived around that area) my car is slightly dinged, the old man had a stroke while driving and thus the drivers door is gouged, but hoping to get it fixed, my exhaust has fallen off (is this a common problem with AX'sn b/c i noticed that he has already replaced the exhaust b4)
    and recently someone reversed into my car and broke my back left light, as a result i had to get a new one(they of course don't sell just the cover, just a whole new light) but the new one isn't as good it doesn't have the white reverse light, its sort of a pinkish colour, it just looks soo violated, my poor little car. o well need to wait until i break it again then i'll get a proper one again but i love driving my ax, its soo much better than my previous car(dihatsu charade, and yes i did say the ax was my first car, but thats b/c i didn't get to drive the charade after getting my P's, it was broken into and had the door replaced, and then the AX came up for sale, so the charade was punted, and i have my beautiful AX now)
    Hi there and welcome to
    The AXs are top cars - enjoy. There are many people willing to share their knowledge with you on this forum so if you need to know something, or maybe source a part (such as another matching taillight lens) just post something!
    Andrew.
    Current:
    1999 406SV (D8)
    Previous:
    1986 BX19GT

I was brave/mad enough to but one from one of the first shipments in March 1991. Gris Dolman, kept for nearly 5 years and traded, absolutely immaculate, on the Xantia. I had test driven various low-20K hatches, but immediately fell for the AXGT. So involving, peppy, characterful but fab ride.

Warranty was fun; leaking front quarter vent, air-conditioning condensation leaking onto the passenger footwell (the base of the in-cabin unit was altered), dreadful brakes - they actually seized on my first run out of Sydney, then needed pumping to work until a master cylinder recall a year or so later. Then there was the factory recall for front struts, which improved the chattery front suspension. Dash rattles were kept at bay to a degree by stuffing rags and squirting Armourall down crevices. But once the teething troubles were fixed, it was a paragon of reliability and always a hoot to drive.

I was lucky enough to have one as a loaner last year; it had nearly 200,000km on the clock and, once used to the non-power steering again (shock!), I thoroughly enjoyed the brilliant seats, handling, responsiveness. Still felt tight in the body and not really rattlier than I recall mine. To this day I still miss those big Vittel/wine-holders in the front doors. Laughs in the face of modern-day cupholders.

Anybody out there know if AAB 82X is still about? Her name was Sophie.
    Last edited by Trixie; 9th September 2005 at 07:04 PM.
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information