Citroen Re-sale values
  • Register
  • Help

Citroen Re-sale values

Just having a look at what is available at the momement at drive.com

CITROEN 1992 XM V6 24V. Exc. cond., low kms, returning o'seas. Sacrifice $15,000. Ph. 0415 563 570. ADH86D.

Advertisement

Citroen 1988 CX 2500 GTI turbo 2. All accessories, 12 mths. reg., XAM556, $29,000 o.n.o. 0419 412 795.

CITROEN 1974 DS23 Pallas, 5 spd, EFI, ivory/white, dark brown lthr, good mech cond, MTU565. $12,000 ono 0402 140 857

CITROEN DS23, Safari S.wag, 1974, white, fully restored, 5sp, A/C, alarm, 7seat, RWC, 12mths reg, LDS023, $17,500ono, 0412 586 056

Looks like the XM is a seriously bad investment, The CX Turbo looks like a winner, scary when good Ds are asking more than the cars that superceded them. It will be interesting to see how the C5 shapes up in the next few years (not that I have one on my shopping list, that CX turbo though...)

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

I don't think you can take one vehicle in isolation as a guide to either a good or bad resale price.
    The XM could be an imported unkempt piece of work with more than it's fair share of UK Government's motor trade "incentive to sell" policy under it (or salt as we call it in Australia) that may not even be good value even at that price, after all, I think the ad does say "returning overseas" if I remember rightly, so it's more than likely he brought it with him.
    If you look at the string of ads that the XM came off, you'll probably also see one for double that price, in which case are they real cheap or real dear. As far as the twenty nine grand turbo 2 goes; in the words of "dad" in the "Castle" - "Tell 'im he's dreamin'" or in the more common venacular - get his hand off it.
    "D" 's are a strange kettle of fish. There have been heaps advertised for these outlandish prices for years. A gold one on Intercar which looks an absolute doll has been there for a couple of years - and is still there last time I looked.
    It's one thing asking fancy prices and something completely different getting them
    I could see a CX turbo 2 pulling $15 - $20,000 but hey, let's be practical; who is going to pay more than that, and if they do who are they going to take it to when it stuffs up and more importantly, where are the parts coming from? Can you imagine some of these characters working the bill out? Can you imagine it? "Right - Citroen - $500 remove tappet cover $500 ! replace tappet cover $500 ! close bonnet $500 ! Top up Water in radiator $500 (shouldn't that be coolant? - nah he'll never know) cost of coolant (Sydney water board distilled) $150 = $2650 look just make it $2500 there was a couple of other things I did but that's near enough
    For the cons around the place it would be like taking candy from a baby.
    Can buy a WRX for about the same dough or at times a cheap 911. I like CX's but no way known I'd pay that price for one even if I won lotto.
    Probably buy a nice XM instead :p

Alan S

[ 08 December 2001: Message edited by: Alan S ]</p>
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thanks Alan,
    Makes me feel a little better I guess re-sale was never an issue in my decision to by Citroen, and whilst they are not a great investment dollar wise, it allows us mere mortals a chance to drive some very nice machinery without putting the "castle" (great movie) on the line.. I'm sure Citroen has saved my life on more than one occasion in my driving career, what value can you put on that

The Xantia seems to be doing a little better in the dollar stakes but still a sizeable drop on purchace price, they seem to have overcome to some extent the myth that Citroens are expensive to keep on the road. I think it's another Citroen that we will now really appreciate as a great car some time after it has been discontinued, I would certainly have one in my stable

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hey Alan,

yeah right if you won tattslotto, you'd drive the porshe & the CXturbo (I know what you'd buy ...)...

They drive quite differently to a standard CX (yet the same...).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!
    CCCOV newsletter has a 1988 CX GTi Turbo2 advertised for a mere $20,000, confirms your comments made above on the price, and the placement of the owners hand ....

Given that UK prices for CX's are very low, I would guess someone could import a CX turbo for considrably less than 29k ??

Fellow Frogger!
    CCCOV newsletter has a 1988 CX GTi Turbo2 advertised for a mere $20,000, confirms your comments made above on the price, and the placement of the owners hand ....

Given that UK prices for CX's are very low, I would guess someone could import a CX turbo for considrably less than 29k ??

Hi Guys,

in the UK, 'tired' CX's are worth little. ie: 300pounds would probably get you a rusty CX turbo. Strange thing is though to get a really good one you can pay upto $5000pounds (Rogers CX center). These cars are immaculate & worth importing (but work out how much 5000pounds is in Aussie $$$$ then double it to get it out here & pay the charges/tax's etc). You'll be in for a shock

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

[quote] These cars are immaculate & worth importing (but work out how much 5000pounds is in Aussie $$$$ then double it to get it out here....

Shane,

How did you intend getting it here? Chartering a Jumbo? Sea freight last time I saw was around $1650 or for a quick trip around $2500
    I doubt it would cost equivalent of $A15000 to bring the Queens Roller out for the CHOGM trip next year.
    Try as you might, you'd never convince me to pay $29,000 for that one that's advertised.

Alan S

Just thought I'd pass this little gem on.
    Yesterday, Tuesday Dec 18th, Fowles Auction Group had an Auction which included Insurance Company write offs.
    Among the lots on offer were a 1989 BX 1.9 Auto that had been in a frontender (guards, bonnet, lights , grille, radiator etc) and a 2CV that had been on fire under the bonet and also inside (dash, seats, floor and hood) Apparently neither were all that great before the damage but still weren't real rough either but in both cases "average" described them.
    BX started bids @ $200 knocked down at $2000
    2CV - bidding started @ $500 went for $3000

Now either someone knew something that experienced Cit owners in attendance didn't; people are prepared to pay more for Citroens than owners realise, or people who go to Auctions shouldn't have a couple of heart starters :p before they start bidding

Alan S

[ 19 December 2001: Message edited by: Alan S ]</p>

Hi Alan,

yeah I saw those prices. I was thinking the BX might be ok if (maybe as parts) if you could get it for less than $500. Gee's most BX's aren't worth $3000 in undamaged condition

I can understand the 2CV selling for $3,000. If you didn't have $12,000 to spend to buy a good one/import one. For a few weekends work in the shed replacing melted wiring you could have yourself a useable 2CV for easily less than $3500. That's a bloody cheap 2CV no matter what way you look at it out here. Yeah, it wasn't that great before the fire, but they still probably would have got $7-9,000 for it.

Yes your right about 29,000 or 20,000 being bloody expensive for a CX turbo, I was just trying to say I understand why people would try to ask that amount. The import duties add an enourmous amount to the cost of the car, the shipping isn't hugely expensive. When dad bought his in he calculated 100% of the cars cost to bring it in & pay all the government charges etc. Remember you have to get the car engineered & all that sort of stuff once landed. Importing cars is only cheap if you can buy them very cheaply the other end. Once landed all the charges get based on what the cars worth here, not how much it was worth where you bought it...

Say you spend 2000 pounds to buy a good CX turbo. Thats $5,653 aud., $2500 for shipping, several hundred for insurance. Then we have import duties once here. They'd probably be based on the car being worth 10-15,000 aud out here. So put aside serveral thousand for them. Now to get the car fumigated/cleaned underneath/permits etc so you can get it off the docks. more $$$. You know have your car at home, it probably owes you $10,000 +. You still can't legally drive it on our roads. You'll have to fit child restraints in the back, lots of fiddly picky crappy little bits & pieces, and pay an engineer to go over it.

Once you have it engineered you go up to register it, they'll charge you yet again for stamp duty to put the car into you name (of course valued on how much the cars worth out here, not how much you paid for it).

Basicly Yes, they wan't a LOT for those CX's & I doubt if they are worth it. But there's a lot of expenditure & hassle to get a decent one out here, though probably nowhere near as much as they are asking... Remember you have to live in the UK for 12months now to bring out any car that's not 15+ years old....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thread Information