TV Ad
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: TV Ad

UFO

TV Ad

As I may have mentioned, we have a new CitroŽn dealer in Wollongong - Hooray. I am taking them to task on one matter though.

They are a combined Alfa, CitroŽn and Kia dealer, which makes sense as they have aligned themselves with the ATECO offerings. However a new ad on TV promoting the dealership, has the female anouncer proclaiming ***Alfa, Sitrun and Kia. Just called them and asked who I speak to about having the pronunciation changed to Sit-rown (as in the Sydney pron. of known) and got a bit of a stunned reaction. I left a message and will report back.

Interestingly, they do not say ay-l-fay, or key-ya and they are also Honda dealers in Nowra and do not say hoen-da, so I suppose I could expect that they would read the name correctly and apply the inflection indicated by the umlaut.

Or am I just being a picky mongrel??

evil

Advertisement
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

ckeller:
    As I may have mentioned, we have a new CitroŽn dealer in Wollongong - Hooray. I am taking them to task on one matter though.

They are a combined Alfa, CitroŽn and Kia dealer, which makes sense as they have aligned themselves with the ATECO offerings. However a new ad on TV promoting the dealership, has the female anouncer proclaiming ***Alfa, Sitrun and Kia. Just called them and asked who I speak to about having the pronunciation changed to Sit-rown (as in the Sydney pron. of known) and got a bit of a stunned reaction. I left a message and will report back.

Interestingly, they do not say ay-l-fay, or key-ya and they are also Honda dealers in Nowra and do not say hoen-da, so I suppose I could expect that they would read the name correctly and apply the inflection indicated by the umlaut.

Or am I just being a picky mongrel??

evil
    I'll join the row that says you are being picky. :-)

Take mall and mall, Grant and Grant, Hyundai and Hyundai, Renault and Renault (as said on SBS in the old Volvo days).

In the first two examples not even the Australian States can get it together on identical words with no accents or inflexions.

I reckon let the dealer focus on selling cars to punters, said punters then join the CCCNSW who then educates them how to correctly pronounce CitroŽn. The dealer concentrating on selling cars and not pronounciation, (correctly prounounced) is able to sell more cars. More cars = more CCCNSW members = more people who pronounce CitroŽn correctly, eventually the correct prounounciation of CitroŽn spreads across Australia (correctly pronounced).
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

I would have taken them to task also. I hate it when Australians dont know how how to pronounce words properly...

Id hate it if people could not say 'Renault'...

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    I can't say Renault...

Have you heard it said on SDS, I think this is how it should be pronounced. Only problem is you'd need a huge booga in the back of your throat before you could even try eek! eek! :p :p

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

"Or am I just being a picky mongrel??"

If I'd have said that all hell would have broken loose :p

I do believe you have a big problem here; chances are that the ad is put together and presented by an advertising agency. Now, let's have a look at the principals of these in Australia;
    John Singleton is one that comes to moind. Nahw, I dunno 'boutchu but, Eyed rekin Singo woodn't be tha kinda joker wot'd be too upset in callin a Sitrun a Sitrun. 'n I get the feelin' that 'e'd probbly call ya watcha called yerself 'n two yer face at that.
    You could suggest that as a compromise they might like to ruin an ad along the lines of "When is a Sitrun not a Sitrun; when it's a Citroen from honest Johns 'gong Citroen Centre."
    Geez wot would Singo & Hawkey say about that clown black_ey evil

Alan S

<small>[ 31 May 2002, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Alan S ]</small>
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

UFO
    No, it is a locally produced ad with local talent. I wish I had the ability to transfer stuff to mpeg so I could put it somewhere so you could all see it.

eek!
    CK
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

ckeller:
    No, it is a locally produced ad with local talent. I wish I had the ability to transfer stuff to mpeg so I could put it somewhere so you could all see it.

eek!
    CK
    Craig,
    If you have it on video please send it to me, I can save it as mpeg.

Pathetic I know, but I am getting a collection of Citroen videos, TV commercials/ promotional clips etc. together, in fact anything that features a Cit of any vintage, I have some real gems if your interested, I know I really need to get a life wink

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

ckeller:

eek!
    CK
    Craig,

Now here's a suggestion and think about it, speaking as someone who always seems to cop the role of publicity officer in any community groups he has been associated with;

Have a bit of a whinge to the dealer but don't come on too strong. Stay on his good side by then telling him that you're going to complain to the TV station who produced the ad.
    NOW; if the TV mob are on the ball, they should be able to make a bit of a story about your complaint. This in turn gives the new dealer some free publicity (which he should be grateful for) the marque becomes the centre of discussion at the local boozer, the Club gets a run and the TV gets a story. wink
    If that doesn't work just do what is becoming fashionable: sue the [email protected]$ clown eek! clown

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Look at it this way, maybe Citroen have such a bad reputation for building unreliable heaps of crap that they decided to change the name to sitrun and start again. JUST KIDDING EVERYONE BEFORE YOU ALL START ABUSING ME.
    I think at the end of the day it doesn't matter how you say, Renault and Peugeot sold thousands of cars here known as ren-olts and pwe-joes before people learnt how to say them. I rememder when Mitsubishi were starting up here, the biggest problem the japs had was getting people to say the name. Hyundai had big trouble teaching people how to say (and spell) it. As new sitrun owners mix with old Citroen owners they'll soon learn, in the mean time let them sell cars.
    David.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

David Cavanagh:
    Look at it this way, maybe Citroen have such a bad reputation for building unreliable heaps of crap that they decided to change the name to sitrun and start again. JUST KIDDING EVERYONE BEFORE YOU ALL START ABUSING ME.
    Dave,

I had a little chuckle, butttt..... Citroen are building a very sophisticated piece of machinery with some of the most advanced and inovative electronics available in a mass produced vehicle today. A dealer that is unable to spell the brand name, is not inspiring confidence in their ability to read the service manual, let alone deal with customer problems, only adding to the woes of bringing new Citroen devotees on board. The dealership is first point of contact between the customer and Citroen. Look at it this way if the new dealer were selling Holden, and the ad in the local rag had them selling Holduns the dealer would take their agency to task, yes. In my veiw they should at least be made aware of the blunder.

As to correct pronunciation, well who's to say, I don't have any French speaking friends but I guess in the circles I move in, at least we all appear to have a common way of saying Citroen. I don't see that as much a problem as the incorrect spelling.

My two fwench fwanks... wink

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!
    a while ago someone talked about the bad boys of Peugeot "taking over" Citroen and thus (maybe) making a "weird" car disappear. Now we're talking about pronouncing the brand names. Look back to the sixties - Citroen took over Panhard and DID make a weird brand disappear, just as well because I think even the French don't agree as how to pronounce Panhard. Still they were amazing cars.

Thread Information