The 'Wave' is alive and well.
  • Register
  • Help

The 'Wave' is alive and well.

Waahoo...

Driving in light traffic this afternoon, pulled up slowly behind a white C5... the driver in true Citroen fashion reconised the XM (that in itself is unusual) and gestured a friendly wave.

Advertisement

The traffic moved off and C5 and I continued in the same direction several kilometres later C5 indicates and turns in Westfield shopping centre, funny that, thats where I'm headed. C5 finds a park and I pulled up beside him. Really nice guy member of QCCC, we had a chat, loves his car HDi getting over 1300ks to a tank. Loves the diesel engine/auto combination, not a negative thing to say about the car but that he would buy other than white next time.

Mystery C5 happily accepeted a 'aussiefrog' sticker, so we may hear from him on the site....

made my day wink wink

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

It's a funny thing;
    When I did the quick trip to Bris a few weeks back, I was driving Adrian's TZi. As ever, I was on the look out for some Cits - whooosh... a CX whistled past without he seeing me or I he.
    Then we started seeing C-5's. I couldn't believe it. We must have seen every colour in the range. Silly part was apart from C-5's we didn't see another Cit all day only the CX that whistled past.
    BTW, out of all of the ones we saw, I think 2 waved; the rest kinda looked with that "that's a strange lookin' car Martha - wonder what sort that is" type of look on their faces clown

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Some people in French cars are really friendly arent they. I once pulled up beside a guy in a white virage when i had my 12 estate. He was talking to me for ages waiting at the intersection...

1000+ Posts
    Waiting at the lights one day a bloke in a really scruffy yellow R10 hangs the back out a bit round the corner, and as the thing screams past, Cool Hippy Driver shoots at me (waiting going the other way in the 12) with his imaginary pistol, and blows the smoke off the index finger 'barrel'.

That was the coolest car wave I've seen.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I occasionally get waves from other Pug drivers....only the old ones, though - no 206's 306's or 406's.

I had a fun time fanging along the Yarra River on Alexandra Ave with a similar, white 8V 405 also on P-plates.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

Dad and I were heading down to Victoria on the hume Highway at Easter and I saw this beautiful DS coming the other way on the freeway. I made a small wave and got a huge wave from the guy in the DS, who was obviously watching our car as keenly as I was watching his.

When I had my 404, I almost always got a wave from other 404 owners. It was kind of like the Freemasons handshake, but very cool. I sold that car to a friend who hung out with alot of hippies, and he too found the friendliness of the other 404 owners he came across in Sydney, Byron Bay, etc, quite refreshing.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

davemcbean:
    Dad and I were heading down to Victoria on the hume Highway at Easter
    Sorry, I left out the fact that we were in the 203. I don't think we would have got the same response in a new Pug.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

I live in a small town (10000 people) and I always wave at the other 2 cits in town (BX and Xantia) and I'm sure they haven't figured it out yet. But with some training, you know lots of repitition I will get them to wave first, then I will change cars and see if its a Cit or just THAT blue car that they have to wave at. clown clown
    Mark McKibbin

markm:
    I live in a small town (10000 people) and I always wave at the other 2 cits in town (BX and Xantia) and I'm sure they haven't figured it out yet. But with some training, you know lots of repitition I will get them to wave first, then I will change cars and see if its a Cit or just THAT blue car that they have to wave at. clown clown
    Mark, Ahh!! the Pavlovian wave... keep working on them

Dave, I'd do a U turn to offer a wave to a 203 wink eek! wink

Cheers
    Chris

<small>[ 04 June 2002, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: GreenBlood ]</small>
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Guys,

well usualy to when I see a Cit on the roads, I'll wave, usualy cause:

a) It'll mum in her Xantia
    b) It'll be Dad in his CX
    c) It'll be Ang in her BX.

There's about 3other cars I see rarely, I usualy get a wave from them (CX's and an identical BX to Ang's).

I was shocked last week, a really nice looking black Berlingo van (it looks really nice for some reason, I think it's the latest model --It just 'looks' different). I've seen it three times now, 1st time I waved & the old guy just stared at me in surprise as I whipped past (what the hell/who was that eek! eek! ). He obviously spotted the badge or realised what the car was cos 2nd time he waved, third time he spotted me before I spotted him & shocked me by giving me a huge wave (I was in a different Cit).

seeya,
    Shane L
    PS: Now who was it that said Berlingo's weren't worth waving to :p

<small>[ 05 June 2002, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: DoubleChevron ]</small>
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Yes, receiving a wave does give one a warm fuzzy feeling,
    I once spent o few days on King Island ( pop. less than 2000 ) driving a local rental car and EVERYONE :p waves, well they all lift a finger off the steering wheel, I thought "This is a really nice and friendly place!" :p :p after a while I observed many locals waving at each other a full hand off steering wheel open palm wave, tongue :p tongue so I deduce there is a wave for PEOPLE they know, and a diferent wave for the CAR they know. Yes they do know that that green 95 Ford dead is a local rental, choice is limited.
    After a very few days the wave changed to the full hand as some of the locals got to know and accept us.
    I wonder what the anthropologists amongst us would make of that?
    Isolated communities do seem to develop some odd quirks but on King Island the locals are very friendly Cheers Ranger.
    "The defendant is no gentleman, but that is neither here nor there. We find for the defendant, much as we dislike him." A.P. Herbert

Well I can add to Ranger's experience but drift a little lower than the Islands. Tasmanian Cit Drivers invariably wave or flash their lights to each other. Flashing between Cit drivers on tas roads(of lights that is) has been a tradition I have grown up with since I can remember.

I must admit that this "tradition" has seemed to taper off a bit over the years. Cause(s) - less Cits registered here (no dealer for long time), less distinction maybe. It seems some modern owners may have a fashion article? Who knows?

In general - Friendly type of people we are in Tas (as anyone who went to the last Citn would know).

So next time in Tas. remember to wave & Flash .

Regards,

Citman

Well it happened again,
    So I thought it worthy of a post... just driving back to work this afternoon in my bright shiny D and got a very enthusiastic flash and wave from a C5. Just goes to show some owners of newer cars are still enthusiasts

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Strange,

I've seen a couple of C5's in town, I've waved at 'em from the CX turbo, BX & ID19, they stick there nose up & look the other way .... How dare someone in those OLD cars wave at 'em moon moon It's usualy middle aged women in 'em, so I guess it could be worse, they could be driving bloody 3tonne+ 4wd roll_lau roll_lau

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Hang in there Shane......Your luck might change,

You might find one on the menopausal make for a toy boy dance dance dance dance head_ban

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

DS
    We do all love the wave. I had the GS (bright metallice green) parked on my street and had the DS wagon with its butt so far out into the drive the other day as I was on the way out and suddenly this unknown but seen around before 2CV Dolly comes up the street and drove past all my carry ons and didn't do anything but look forward. The hide of it, were both locals you know!
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Well talk about a reviavl from June last yaer!

I read the topic and thought I'd "been there" and yes I had - in June 2000!!

Lost of comments about waves but little about flashing lights. I distinctly remember the flashing of the twin headlights of the DS's passing eachother with a simultaneous wave from drivers.

Maybe this "flashing" was a Tasmanian thing - you know - keep it in the family and all that!!!!!

Time for another a_drink

Cheersm

CITMAN

nJm
    I have noticed recently that there are lots of P plate 504s and a few 505s near me and most wave when I go past. The other day I was driving across an interesection and I heard the distinctive sound of a 505 horn, turned my head and there was a tiger orange 505 waiting at the lights. Has anyone else seen a 505 in melbourne resprayed in tiger orange???
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Thread Information