Another one bites the dust?
  • Register
  • Help

Another one bites the dust?

Out with the wife sorting out the shopping this morning when the mobile goes. "Brad's had a prang in the CX" says Adrian. Bad? "Apparently" comes the response but he's OK.
    It seems that our local coppers not known for either their brains, commonsense or valour decided to run a RBT at around 8.30 AM on an arterial road & near the busiest and most dangerous intersection on the entire road. By randomly selecting cars who this pack of brainless bloody imbesiles thought may have had XXXX on their Cornflakes, it created a concertina effect to cause cars to progressively slow down until when it got to him, they had stopped. Being the busiest time of the morning with workers, mums dropping kids off to school & early morning shoppers it was a fairly long line of traffic which he was at the end of. Out of the morning hue comes junior (18) driving dad's Camira and as he was so engrossed trying to figure out what all the coppers & traffic were all about, completely missed the fact that the line of traffic was stopped and without throwing out an anchor BANG - "hello Liberace'" It would seem that the CX could be a write off as first impression is that the rear subframes are bent. It's still driveable but the Camira was a recovery vehicle job and is definitely off to that big highway in the sky
    The only consolation was that whilst the dopey coppers were trying to sort out the mayhem, there was another big bang from the other side of the road followed by another - a three car pile up. So it came to pass that anyone who did have XXXX on their Cornflakes were not bothered by the presence of the local constabulary as the lot of these bloody tossers then had to spend the next two hours writing up accident reports.
    Then they have the nerve to say that they are doing this in the interests of road safety.
    How much am I offered for a recording of my conversation with the officer in charge tommorrow? At least we know why thy're coppers, as I've told them before; nobody else would give them a job clown clown clown

Advertisement

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Alan,
    Good to hear Brad is OK, the old CX is a pretty solid car and can take a heavy wallop. Mr. Plod is going to have some explaining on this one tongue

Lets see we have a Prestige in need of front panels on another board and Brads CX looking like a write off, could get interesting wink

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

UFO
    YES PLEASE ALAN

We would all love to have a recording! Wow, that would make the airwaves roll!!

Must have been the day for it yesterday. See my new post.

Glad that Brad is OK. He must have been absolutely shattered though with all the work he has done on the car. Lucky I suppose that it wasn't the front end with all the expensive trickery and superb workmanship in it. (It has to be seen to be believed guys)

Please tell us that this car will "rise to live again" Pun intended.

Pass on our regards to Brad please

Craig and Deb
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Bugger...sorry to hear of Brad's prang...
    thankfully he's ok....now let's hear that recording!!!
    Cheers Alan
    Regards Andrew
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Alan,

yeah I've been there & done that too... For some reason people immediatly thought the accident was my fault when they heard I'd had a crash... Really, don't listen to anyone, I don't drive fast

The main thing is Brad is ok, pity about the car though, all that work he put into it Now if he gets another CX he'll have to do it all over, if he's anything like me, well-- Where do you find the time

When I was run up the back of it was in my old R12 sedan. That little car had the heaviest towbar known to man on it. Brand new Crummydore wagon -- Total writeoff, there was nothing left of it. R12-- Crumpled quater panels & back, I drove it for another week :p

You should mention taking the stupid idiot coppa's to court for being so braindead. You'd never win, but it'd sure give 'em something to think about for a while.

I'm sure Gibgib will find some webspace somewhere for your tape-recording wink Who knows the dead head cops might be dumb enough to threaten you on tape

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Alan, glad to hear your son has physically survived the side effects of modern day policing, but I'm sure he's severely !!!!!! about the car. Haven't seen it, but the pics made it look quite something.
    You have me confused, though. Rear subframes? Unless the roof's bent surely there is still the possibility of a rear cut if anyone's handy with the welder, and I'd imagine no end of donor rear ends about. Of course, any CX with damage is likely to be an insurance write-off - but I would imagine he can ensure the Camira owner's policy pays up anyway.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Bruce,

You wouldn't have believed it.
    We had TPFT on it and Suncorp offer a really beaut service on this. Regardless of the time of day they have a 24 hour a day contact number.
    At 8 at night he was given all the necessary info including contacting the other guy & getting all the necessary info which they required to get the ball rolling. They explained all the scenarios including one which would have meant that they would have paid out the claim to us for damage to our vehicle whilst then taking action against him.
    As it turned out, guess who this guy was insured with on TPFT ??
    Yep, Sunsorp Metway which could be good as much as it could be bad. They will be basically kicking their own arse so it may not mean as good an outcome as far as how hard they will fight for a decent payout figure as it's doubtless a write off.
    If I can get hold of the digi this weekend I'll take a shot & post it & you'll see what I mean.
    Subframes? those stffy bits that run along the sides of the floor undersides and over the wheel arches are what's bent. Don't hold your breath waiting for it in Fowles as I can't see the payout coming to within about a quarter of what's been spent on it. I've been screaming for years that he was overcapitalised on it. My suggestion to him was to look at one of these cheap Prestiges that seem to be hovering around or a low mileage wrongly serviced car with a good body, so if you know of something the bits will fit on let us know; just don't throw a mickey when you see the finished product eek! eek! You know what he's like when it comes to keeping them standard evil evil clown

Alan S

Alan, I take it you mean the subframe extensions that the spheres sit in. Must have been a low, fast entry on the part of the Camira. Ouch!
    The cheap Prestige at Redbank is supposed to have sold for about 500, from what I hear. No idea who's got it, but I have a feeling it needed a lot of work. Does he really want to carry 'round the extra weight of a Prestige? It won't be as quick as when it was running in the Pallas, and I doubt that he'd really want the softer ride! All he'd benefit from is the extra headroom, providing he didn't find a lowline.
    The club had a lot of people phoning in with dead 2200s last month apparently - maybe if he can find a rust-free one of them he could do a rebuild. Otherwise CXs seem to be few and far between at the moment.
    Too dark to crawl under the wreck I've got in the backyard, so I'll ask instead. Do Pallas models have the rear part of the subframe bolted to the longerons as the Prestige does? Have the main part of the longerons bent? Whichever way you look at it, it looks like a lot of work. Maybe you should just find him a nice BX16V!
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Bruce,

To give you an idea, the rear bumper & boot floor is shoved in so far that it is almost touching the fuel tank so you can use your imagination as regards what the structural side looks like and although I didn't see the Camira from all accounts it wasn't a pretty site.
    Estimated speed on impact of around 50 kph speaks for itself.
    We'll wait until we hear from the Insurance as to how much the payout is before we decide on our next move.

Alan S

is a camira ever a pretty sight?

maybe you could buy the cx turbo for $29000

UFO
    stuartb:
    maybe you could buy the cx turbo for $29000
    It is down to $23k now remember. And thank goodness we will not see Alan naked on the steps of the Opera House!

tongue dead
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

If Brad is OK that is great, but what about the Speakers?
    Come to think of it, the amps would have been in the boot too, are they still there or in the Camira's engine bay?

Happy to put any amusement audio on the site

He was in the process of doing something electrically so the amps were out. The impact is quite weird; I suspect the bod in the Camira swung the wheel as it looks as though it hit corner on but smack in the middle of the bootlid.
    The metal stopped bending just before it reached the speaker box. The bumper bar gives the impression of having been pushed below the floor of the boot so as Bruce suggested it hit low. Knowing a CX in stopping mode, they seem to stop bum up for a second before settling back down; I think he may have hit him in the "A" up position.
    Regards the whallopers, the big chief was away the other day (may have guessed I was coming to see him) so I had words with the Editor of the local rag who had already heard a lot about if off the coppers' scanner so it will probably get a run although the media are as weak as p!$$ when it comes to upsetting these tossers. If it were to happen again and next time somebody gets zapped, then it'd be a big deal. I have to see boss cockey copper in the coming week anyway so either way he's gunna get a rev.

Alan S

perhaps if the camira is a front end write-off, and the cx a rear end write-off, both with the same insurer....a bit of skill with an oxy and you could make an interesting hybrid from the two...might upset a few at the Camira Owners Club (COC)......

And yet another

Just posted by Juraj on the Aussie Cit BB

Hi all
    our lovely GS (ex greg churms) has been totalled by a thief in a stolen car. Apparently they rammed the back of the stationary GS (it was stopped at a red ligth) up the back at roughtly 80-100km/h. It was moved right across the intersection, about 6 metres. The back being toatly pushed in against the rear wheels hence making it undrivable.

So unfortunately now that we are "out of pocket" to quote the policeman who said hed get round to it in 3 days time it is being wrecked.

It has a great engine and box, brakes, hydraulics, interior, headlights, and an beutifuly rebuilt alternator. all offers considered for anything.

bye,

juraj- sydney, 9590 4490

PS - it is a 1015 C-Matic, upgraded to 1220. Has the best red and black interior, with original 'comma' interior handles.

<small>[ 23 May 2002, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Paul Smith ]</small>
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Thread Information