66 ID19 engine needs tender loving care!!!
  • Register
  • Help

66 ID19 engine needs tender loving care!!!

Help!!! During the Tassie trip I noticed I seemed to be going through quite a bit of water...kept an eye on the gauge and it didn't show it was overheating....I thought it may be a faulty cap and changed it...still the same problem...checked the oil of course and no traces of water to be found...no bubbling from radiator either...radiator was recored a year ago..thermostat replaced...all hoses replaced...
    When I had some preparation done David Gries told me the oil rings were cactus...a rebuild needed when I could afford it...well,seems that time is here...checked the oil again today and big time water incursion..and dreaded bubbles from the radiator....suggestions anyone..I know it must be a head gasket..but what caused it..no point just redoing the head gasket..if I should do the whole engine up does anyone have any pointers or suggestions where to get my parts from...am a bit skint so am not sure I can afford it right now..
    David has mentioned a figure of around $3-$4,000
    has anyone had to do an engine up?? Help!!!!!!
    Regards
    Andrew

Advertisement
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Andrew,
    I'll just whip the head off, get it pressure tested (I hope you've been running an anti-corrosion product of somesort... :p ). Check the height of the liners and whack the head back on with a new head gasket.

Oil rings gone?? Does she use oil or blow lots of blue smoke If the anwser is 'no'. I keep on driving for years yet At least you'll be able to have a look at the bores while the heads off (and check the ring gaps).

seeya,
    Shane L
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I agree with Shane new sleeves & pistons are expensive (about $700) and it just goes on from their so whip the head off check the deck heights and everything else Shane said, however if it is using oil you could always look for a secondhand one....but it maybe no better. dead dead
    Mark McKibbin

Fellow Frogger!
    I had the head gasket let go in a D engine a few years back. It is easy to replace, and is relatively cheap. Since then, the engine has given no problems. Some of the older gaskets were of a material that deteriorates over time, so it may not necessarily lead to a full engine rebuild. I would change the gasket and see from there.

Thread Information