Fan in XM Roof console
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Fan in XM Roof console

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any idea what the fan in the XM roof console, near the IR remote reciever is? We've always wondered what the whiring noise has been whenever the ignition is on (although you don't notice it once the engine is running). The last few days its become more of a squeak so we took the console apart to find this 20mm fan FULL of dust. Cleaning it all out appears to have quietened it down but what on earth does it do? The Haynes manual says it IS the remote sensor but we can see the sensor and the fan definately has nothing sensorish about it...

Advertisement

Derek

Deka,
    That is weird why not post on yahoo xm site and let us know. Can't say I am aware of any noise in that area when ignition is on?

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts
    Hi Derek,

Are there electronics up there? Maybe it's like a mini CPU fan to cool electronics - the roof gets pretty hot sometimes...

Stu

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole
    I did the same, removed the 'groaning' by removing the fan. I would like to know what the fan does???

BTW my remote device is very aloof and works evey now and again.

I'd still like to know what the fan does??

1000+ Posts
    Bob,

Unfortunately our XM doesn't exist anymore... it was written off in November last year

I did discover what the fan is for. It is a part of the air con system - the fan constantly moves air past the cabin sensor so it can get an accurate reading for the climate control.

I can't remember who told me but it makes sense!

Taking your remote apart and cleaning it with contact cleaner (from Jaycar) should help. Fixed ours for a while (it was a 1991 model).

Derek.

Bob Stewart:
    I did the same, removed the 'groaning' by removing the fan. I would like to know what the fan does???

BTW my remote device is very aloof and works evey now and again.

I'd still like to know what the fan does??
    Welcome to the pond Bob,
    For the rest of you froggers, you might like to note as well as the XM, Bob has a 406 coupe in the fleet

I can feel the need for some sticker slapping, Deka whistle

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts
    Yes Bob if you'd like a sticker I can either send you one (or more as I see you have a froggy fleet!) or drop you in one if I'm driving through. I live in Killara.

Derek.

Tadpole
    I reckon the part has a heat sensor, so the aircon part would make sense. I'll leave it out and see if I freeze!!

But I reckon I am a 'sticker' candidate, the 406 coupe is a gem, a similar engine to the MX, the MX is certainly a surprize package and a fantastic unit.

My next trip is down to Mr.Wong at Auto France to get the parts for the glove box lock.

Thanks for your help
    Bob

Hi all
    The little fan is part of the climiate control system. It is the sensor that measures the temp in the car. Seeya
    Regards,

Jinny.

'15 DS 5
    '74 GS Club Convertisseur

Previous
    R12
    CX 2200
    Flouride
    R20
    R19
    '74 GS Club
    '91 XM
    '94 XM V6

Tadpole
    Correct, the fan blows cabin temp air past the temp sensor for the A/C. If it's noisy, like mine was, simply take it out and put a single drop of oil (sewing machine oil is fine) on the top of the shaft and let it run down into the bearing.
    I did this about 2 years ago, and it's still quiet and working fine.
    Cheers,
    PaulE
    1991 XM V6 SEI (UK private import)

Thread Information