16V rebuild progress thread
  • Help

Default 16V rebuild progress thread

Hi guys,

Just thought I would start a thread where I can dump pics of the progress of my 16v rebuild.
    The engine is getting all new bearings/gaskets, increased compression, longer duration inlet cam, baffled sump and uprated oil flow (with parts from 2L 16v engine).

At this stage the engine is fully apart, just working out how to post my bottom end off to get decked. At the moment the clutch is off getting uprated, radiator rodded, and injectors ultrasonically cleaned. Will get the head reco'd soon. Anyway here is a pic of my cleaned up rocker cover and inlet manifold to get started. Some of you may have seen pics of the engine removal in the tech section.

Dave

Advertisement

mmmm yummy. shiny!

what did you do to the plennum to get it soooo shiny - did you take it to someone to get it polished?

what's the finish on the rocker cover? looks solid.
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

Quote Originally Posted by enthused!
    mmmm yummy. shiny!

what did you do to the plennum to get it soooo shiny - did you take it to someone to get it polished?

what's the finish on the rocker cover? looks solid.
    On the manifold I just used my die grinder and assorted flap wheels and polising wheels (from a porting kit I use for head work - i think the company is Standard Abrasives), then finished with a quick rub with autosol.

The rocker cover is just sprayed with hi temp paint.
    Both were quick jobs to make is look 'ok' - I didn't wan't to spend 'eleventy billion' hours sanding then both flat.

Picked up the clutch and flywheel today, might have time to post pics tonight.

Dave

Here is the clutch and flywheel. The guys reckon they have upped the pressure by 40%.

Dave

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Looking good .... I can see your going to develop a really strong left leg

Is it rude to ask what the costs are to do all of this.... It would be a great reference point for poeple that want to do a similar thing in the future

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Looking good .... I can see your going to develop a really strong left leg

Is it rude to ask what the costs are to do all of this.... It would be a great reference point for poeple that want to do a similar thing in the future

seeya,
    Shane L.
    If your eyes were as young as mine, you could see the price on the invoice in the pic I'll put together a rough list of what everything costs (I don't really want to know myself though ).

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    If your eyes were as young as mine, you could see the price on the invoice in the pic I'll put together a rough list of what everything costs (I don't really want to know myself though ).

Dave

Geez, THIRTY BUCKS ...............that's cheap!!

(That's with the specs on too BTW)

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Geez, THIRTY BUCKS ...............that's cheap!!
    Maybe he gets a discount for advertising!

No offence intended, Dave, but the sticker isn't exactly inconspicuous. I'm sure your just so delighted with their work you want to spread the word.

On that note, and quite seriously, who's doing the machine work on your block and head?

Quote Originally Posted by tlampre
    Maybe he gets a discount for advertising!

No offence intended, Dave, but the sticker isn't exactly inconspicuous. I'm sure your just so delighted with their work you want to spread the word.

On that note, and quite seriously, who's doing the machine work on your block and head?
    30 bucks is the GST therefore the full cost was 330. I think it is hardly a crime to advertise workshops that can be trusted and don't either run at the sight of a citroen or charge through the nose just because its not a commodore. They did the same job with my GT clutch 5 years ago and it has been thrashed daily since and still bites like new.
    I have no affiliation with the above workshop, furthermore if people don't want to know experiences we have with different workshops its their loss, good luck in the minefield of dodgy workmanship which is the auto repair industry.

Owen W in Sydney is doing the machine work.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    30 bucks is the GST therefore the full cost was 330. I think it is hardly a crime to advertise workshops that can be trusted and don't either run at the sight of a citroen or charge through the nose just because its not a commodore.
    Sorry, Dave. Like I said, it wasn't meant to cause offence, is was a light hearted joke in response to Alan's comment. I hoped that was implied by my question about your machine shop, really appreciate getting leads on places that deal fairly and understand what someone doing a custom build up is after.

Is the clutch builder in Brisbane? No STD code on the number.

What services does Owen W offer? Can he/they do balancing and camshaft grinding too?

Regards,
    Trevor

Its all good Trevor, i'm just a cranky puss in the mornings (only when i work late shifts ). The clutch shop is in Albion.
    Owen is fairly busy and mainly builds race engines these days, he does a couple of tricks with mi16 engines however that I don't believe anyone else can do. I believe for general balancing and machining Bakers Precision Engines, Morwong in NSW is what people use. For reprofiling camshafts maybe PM Peter T and ask where he gets his done.

Dave

Update time,

Picked up the radiator today, got it rodded and put together with a new o-ring. Report says it was 35% blocked. That was only $80 not too bad. Still waiting on the injectors. Saw the post office today it will cost about 20 bucks each for the two parcels of parts to post down south. Having trouble finding a box the appropriate dimensions though (has to fit the parts in it, but not much larger or its bigger than aus posts max dimensions ).

Dave

Well got the injectors back yesterday, they seem to have a slightly different cap on the end (is a little longer), which sits flush against the seal, but I can't see it being a problem. Here is one (with the blue cap) next to one that Alan S refurbed in the thread a while back.

Dave

I've got a packet of those blue ones now, but haven't taken much notice how far up they fit.
    Main thing is so long as they clip in properly as I can imagine high drama for a few seconds if one falls off and starts rattling round inside the engine.
    Make sure you put a coat of silicone grease or at worst vaseline on those "O" rings when you refit them; makes life just that little bit more simple.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    I've got a packet of those blue ones now, but haven't taken much notice how far up they fit.
    Main thing is so long as they clip in properly as I can imagine high drama for a few seconds if one falls off and starts rattling round inside the engine.
    Make sure you put a coat of silicone grease or at worst vaseline on those "O" rings when you refit them; makes life just that little bit more simple.

Alan S
    Thanks Alan, I'll check the blue caps are nice and secure.

Dave

Thread Information