What tools?
  • Help

Thread: What tools?

Tadpole

Default What tools?

I recently purchased a 1996 5 speed Xantia while I am temporarily based in NZ. The only tool that came with the car was the wheel brace.

As all my tools are back home in Sydney, I would like to get an inexpensive tool kit together for the car (most likely spanners and sockets from Cash converters) and was wondering if anyone could suggest a list of essential tools as well as nice to have tools which could do all the general maintanence tasks and possibly a sphere change.

As this is my first citroen, I am not really sure if it is metric or imperial, (I am guessing metric), and would appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers

Jeremy S

Advertisement

UFO

For basic basic basic maintenance go to "The Warehouse" (one on every 2nd corner in NZ) and buy a cheepie metric spanner and socket set.

Sphere changes if necessary can be done by hand and you can get more grip on a sphere using rubber gloves.

Perhaps an oil pan might be handy too, and of course safety stands!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrog
    I recently purchased a 1996 5 speed Xantia while I am temporarily based in NZ. The only tool that came with the car was the wheel brace.
    Welcome to New Zealand Whereabouts are you located ? I'm in Whangarei...
    As all my tools are back home in Sydney, I would like to get an inexpensive tool kit together for the car (most likely spanners and sockets from Cash converters) and was wondering if anyone could suggest a list of essential tools as well as nice to have tools which could do all the general maintanence tasks and possibly a sphere change.

As this is my first citroen, I am not really sure if it is metric or imperial, (I am guessing metric), and would appreciate any suggestions.
    That gave me a little chuckle..... didn't the French invent metric ? Yes, Citroen's are definately metric.

Tools ? Well a good set of metric spanners and sockets naturally, a few screwdrivers, some kind of sphere removal tool (opinions vary on the best type) a set of small torx and (possibly? I always mix them up) star keys... a lot of the plastic bits and bobs use small torx bolts, and so you wont be able to remove things like door trim, dashboard, and bumpers without them.

Allen keys are used in some places such as the headlight adjustment and the oil drain plugs for the motor and gearbox.

And finally, if you plan on doing your own sphere removal/fitting, you really need a pair of drive on ramps, as both the accumulator sphere and the rear suspension spheres can only be done from underneath. (They're also invaluable for any kind of work under the engine) Also a good floor jack and a couple of axle stands wont go astray.

Regards,
    Simon
    Last edited by Mandrake; 1st March 2006 at 09:17 AM.
    1998 Xantia Mk2 V6 Auto Exclusive

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The cheapest way would be to find an "all metric" toolbox full of tools ... eg: those 'Supertool' or whatever brand they are. I've found the cheap chinesse tools are really good ... I'm yet to break one myself. Obviously I don't consider the "really cheap" cr@p you can buy at shops like "The warehouse" where you can bent the spanners and screwdrivers with your hands "tools'. They are "a joke".

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Thanks for your advise.

I did look at the cheap chinese tool kits but the ones I saw looked like they came out of those Christmas Bon-Bons. Cash Converters seems to have a good selection of decent brands all be it a little dirty starting at 50c each.

[quote=Mandrake]Welcome to New Zealand Whereabouts are you located ? I'm in Whangarei...

Thankyou. I am based in Christchurch. I must say that the Kiwi's sure know how to make some really good beer!

Cheers

Jeremy S

Another suggestion is to consider tools from Super Cheap Autos in Blenheim Rd. Also if you do need to have your car serviced at any point the local Citroen expert is Iain at Mecano Motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrog
    I am based in Christchurch.
    There's a bloke who goes to the Riccarton market on Sundays selling second hand tools. And Mac's Mart, the second hand shop in Darfield, has a good range of second hand tools. Sadly, the second hand tool shop that was in High St has closed down.

I recommend you join the Canterbury Citroen Car Club. Great club, I'm a former committee member, and remain a club member. The secretary is Rosemary Bywater, phone 326 5758 or e-mail rosieb@xtra.co.nz. Tell her I sent you.

Roger
    (ex Christchurch resident)
    Last edited by Roger Wilkinson; 1st March 2006 at 10:24 PM.

Tadpole

Thankyou all for your help. I will follow up some of those leads.

Regarding the Canterbury Citroen club, I telephoned a number I got out of one of the local motor mag's for a club contact, but the guy who answered the phone thought they all met up in Hamner Springs but was not completly sure. Anyway thankyou for the email address, Iwill send one off now.

Regards,

Jeremy S

Thread Information