BX Electrics....
  • Help

Default BX Electrics....

Had the GS out today for a well needed run... and feeling industrious got out the TRi which has had little use to give it a once over so that it can replace the TZi while it's getting the rear arm bearings done...

As is the case with such jobs an oil / filter change and cooling system flush turned into a solid day of tinkering... given the sun was shining and work is still a week or so away

I needed to change the battery as it has had four years of hard slog interspersed with weeks and sometimes months of being laid up... so it takes it's toll on even the best battery... (Found an 11 plate Bosch Gold Series with 3 year warranty for $95.00 so was happy with that) and whilst it was out I decided to sacrifice a can of contact cleaner (they're not cheap let me tell you!) and go to work on all the connections... and plugs...

Advertisement

Found the normal burnt plug under the battery... and kept going from there... also took out the switches from the radiator gave them a good squirt.. and all the connections to the fans etc.. and then went to work under the dash and finally the ECU under the drivers seat...

While I was at it changed all the relays in the engine bay as I had a box of new Hellas in the shed that someone donated at some stage so thought why not....

Anyway... bottom line... the car was transformed....a routine service task for every BX....(if not any older car) no doubt... but I remain amazed at the transformation to a car that I thought was already going pretty well....

A day well spent...might hit the GS with the same treatment tommorrow

BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

Jack,

So you're telling me I got ripped off when I bought a Bosch battery the same as yours for $109 at Supercheap last week!

Well it has transformed my BX as well. Never heard the starter go that fast before. One mod I always do to BXs is to add a relay onto the slow fan circuit of the temperature switch. I do this because the fan start current, even with the fans in series is enough to fry the switch after about 10 years, and you only end up with the high temp parallel configuration working.

You just need to bring a 12 volt lead down towards the switch from the fan that is powered direct from 12Volts to power the relay coil, then cut the lead going to the slow temp switch terminal and connect to the other relay control pin, connect the fan end of this lead to the relay switch pin, and connect the other relay switch pin to the earth lead on the temp switch harness.

Good Luck

Ken W

Ken,

Will have at look at your mod.. it makes sense...

I have installed a relay into the light circuit for the same reason.. so may as well do the same....come to think of it I think mine might be displaying the exact symptoms wou describe.. I'll have a look at it but when I had it running at idel for a long while getting the temp up today after doing the cooling system I seem to recall that only the high speed fan was coming on...

Thanks for the heads up....

BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

Jack,

If it is doing that you will still need to buy a new temp sensor but at least it will be the last one you have to buy!

The aircon can still bring the fans on at low speed, but the water temp circuit will only operate at high speed.

Happy relaying,

Ken W
    Last edited by Ken W; 1st March 2006 at 06:57 PM.

Figured as much...

Got a fresh spare from my last GSF order.. so I'll though it on when I do the relay.... and I was looking forward to a grease free day tommorrow...!

Thanks Ken... you've been a great help...

BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

On the subject of bx electricsÖ I have had an intermittent problem of lights (head/tail) not coming on. Replaced the light switch but (expensively) this has not fixed the problem. Is there a specific main relay and if so where is it? Or is it something else.
    Regards
    David
    2003 ML 320 Mercedes Benz

Thread Information