CX Rear Suspension Leak
  • Help

Default CX Rear Suspension Leak

Hi, I have a leak from the left rear suspension cylinder, which has gradually got worse over the past week, so I jacked the car up and pulled the wheel off to check.
    I found a small crack in the rubber connector that one of the return lines connects into.
    I'm hoping this is the problem. I raised and lowered the suspension a few times while the car was jacked up (I didnt get under it !!!!), and a little bit of fluid weeped out of it.
    I'm wondering what the repair will entail, will I have to pull out the cylinder, and are the the rubber bits available. Is there a quick fix that I can patch over it till I can get the cylinder out?
    Thankx

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CX Rear Suspension Leak-p2270038c.jpg  
    Terry

1980 CX C-Matic Bleu Regate

It's a few years since I whipped one of these apart, but from memory they have a couple of white hard nylon looking rings in them and a black rubber "O" ring.
    Often, particularly in the case of a car that has been left sitting for any length of time, white rust forms on the inside of the cylinder and when the car is again put back into service, this can score the "O" ring and if the corrosion is big enough, can actually cause total failure of the "O" ring.
    This shows itself in the form of a "big green pool" on the ground in the vicinity of the rear wheel. If that fitting is weeping, then this is often the first signs that this "O" ring is beginning to fail.
    I don't know if the white rings are available as ours last failed 100 klms from home, as a result we never changed them but we did change the "O" ring from the local auto accessories shop as well as cleaned up the cylinder internally. The cylinder area was still dry 6 years later, so obviously, the rubber ring does far more work than the white ones.

Hope that's some help.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

The leak will probably be from the rubber 'neck' that the return line pushes into. They rubber boots are long lived but do eventually start to perish. Replacement is the only option. They are still available and about $80 if I remember correctly. You will have to remove the suspension cylinder for this job, but it is not difficult to replace the boot.

Cyanoacrylate (super glue) is good for rubber, but you will have to remove all traces of oil to get a good bond. It is unlikely that you can do a good job without removing the boot, but it is worth a try. Wash the area with a pressure pack degreaser and blow dry.

The white ring that Alan refers to is a wiper ring and the O-ring is used to apply a small amount of pressure and to stop oil seeping thru the groove behind the wiper. There is also a felt wiper ring at the bottom of the cylinder retained by the boot. If the boot has more than a small amount of hydraulic oil inside, the wipers and seals need replacing. Seal kits were still available a few years ago. A new seal kit is probably a good idea anyway, if the budget allows.
    Robert Thorne
    Brisbane
    Citroenless - for now...

Hi, just finished replacing the rear hydraulic cylinder boot.
    If you are ever told you can replace the boot without taking the cylinder out, can you laugh in their face for me.
    I bought the new boot and was told, you dont need to take the cylinder out, just remove the pin and slide the boot over the end.
    I ended up spending literally hours Stuffing around on my back, tearing to old boot off in pieces, managed to get the new boot on, only to have the small end of the boot slip over the shaft, which meant I had the take the cylinder out anyway!!! All this while the arse end is up on axle stands, whilst it was safe enough, I dont like being under it for any longer than I have to.
    For the sake of a hose clamp and a hydraulic connection its much easier to take the cylinder out.
    By the way I think I still have the hydraulic leak!!!!!
    Terry

Yep, you will have; it will be the thing I mentioned originally.
    Been there done that got the "T" shirt etc.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

The funny thing is the LHM is dripping from the subframe in front of the cylinder, the original boot was fairly clean inside, and the cylinder when I had it out looked as clean as a whistle.
    I also have a small leak at the front of the car which appeared about the same time, and I thought it would be a seperate issue. I thought I'll deal with the back one, then look at the front. I'm now thinking the leak may be from the same source, at the front and it is running down the back and dripping off there.
    My next plan of attack will be to degrease and Gurni the whole thing, as the entire subframe down the one side is damp, and I.ve noticed that there is LHM underneath the pump, looks like it could be coming out where the shaft goes into the pump, so I'll put the spare pump on Ive got in the shed and see what happens.
    I might have to take it to a local mechanic and put it on a hoist, so I can have a decent look, as I hate getting under it.
    I may have a cracked return line somewhere.
    Terry

Thread Information