Vespas and Citroens
  • Help

Default Vespas and Citroens

I have noticed that there a few people here who, like me, own a Citroen and also a Vespa. As my signature says, I have a C2 and a Vespa GT. I love them both. In my scooter club there are also several people who have Vespas and Citroens.

Wonder why it is so? For me they are both stylish and practical. The C2 is, I think, one of the best looking cars on the market, and the Vespa GT is a modern interpretaion of a classic.

Advertisement

cheers,
    ColinHarry
    Vespa Granturismo 200

1000+ Posts

I'd like to use a scooter to commute but really, how would they fare on city streets day in/day out?

I don't know about your home town Colin, but here in Brisbane the streets are always being churned up, dug over, resurfaced and churned up again, and this seems to go on in an infinite loop. The Stop/Go ladies are all permanent employees these days (it seems )

Downright bloody dangerous enough as it is for normal cars on our roads, let alone in a scooter. Maybe the reason why everyone buys offroad vehicles??? (except us froggy faithfuls haha ).

Our roads are just not made for two wheels unfortunately. And the powers that be don't give a continental.

Mmmm, Vespas. Nice to look at.

Distantly related, in that they also came from Italy and were scooters, I had a couple of Lambrettas way back in the dim dark 60's and 70's.

There's simply no way I'd venture onto the streets these days in anything as exposed!

At the time I stopped riding them I felt that the traffic density was becoming too much to share with my scooter, so today's volumes would be really scary!

That being said, I also thought the classic scooters of the 50's were a style icon, and sort of wish I still had the old Lambretta.

Without wanting to start a riot, or even a heated debate, I always felt that the engineering in the Lambretta was a cut above the Vespa. Certainly the Piaggio product was clever, but the Lambretta was, in my opinion, better made! (TV 175 of the 1950's was the first production motorcycle ever to have disc brakes! My 1954 model had shaft drive, the 1958 model a fully enclosed duplex chain!)

Not being particularly well endowed financially either then or now, I have never owned a Citroen and a scooter concurrently, but I can see where you're coming from.

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Last edited by pottsy; 27th February 2006 at 05:41 PM.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's) Grandma's Taxi
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick") Weekend Warrior
    2015 C4 Grand Picasso ("Pablo") Workhorse & Grandpa's Taxi
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned Traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Bonsai CX
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Default Cits and Vespas?

Hello Colin;

Like you, I also own a C2 and a Vespa - but in my case, it is a Px200e.

I do anything up to 500 km a week on the Vespa, commuting between clients's sites - especially if I do not have to wear a suit to their premises.

I once had a GT200 - great scoot, but I sold it, because I really like the classic style of Vespa - even though the Px does not perform nearly as well as the GT.

Cheers
    Tony - '04 C2 - Black
    '02 Triumph Sprint ST
    '05 Vespa PX200e

Quote Originally Posted by graham66
    I'd like to use a scooter to commute but really, how would they fare on city streets day in/day out?

I don't know about your home town Colin, but here in Brisbane the streets are always being churned up, dug over, resurfaced and churned up again, and this seems to go on in an infinite loop. The Stop/Go ladies are all permanent employees these days (it seems )

Downright bloody dangerous enough as it is for normal cars on our roads, let alone in a scooter. Maybe the reason why everyone buys offroad vehicles??? (except us froggy faithfuls haha ).

Our roads are just not made for two wheels unfortunately. And the powers that be don't give a continental.

Mmmm, Vespas. Nice to look at.
    I'm with Graham on this one. If I still lived in the inner-city, I'd probably have one to take short trips in and around the CBD. The roads in Brisbane are indeed awful.

I quite like Lambrettas and Vespas - I don't have a preference of one over the other.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger!

Vespas and Lambrettas were ordinary in the 50's and by the look of them they are still much the same .Heinkel,Zundapp and Maico were the ducks guts in those days and the current Italo-Japanese-Spanish are the go now.Thank the Lord for the demise of rotating handlebar gear changes and the advent of Infinitely Variable Belt Drives.
    Regards Dennis (I was there,Trust Me)

Default groove tube cafe...and scooters

I too have had scooters...back in the 80's...Yes..the Mod revival,rubber soul,GTC,barbarella's..etc etc
    I was in the scooter club of victoria and my first scoot was a 180 ss complete with lots of accessories!! also had a GS150 (a classic but i prefered the 180) even won my class in a unofficial hill climb of Arthurs seat...he he he
    What fun we had going on mad scooter runs from apollo bay to Valhalla to Adelaide and further....scary at times..yes....but great times
    After my vespa's i went to the dark side and bought a LI 150...always wanted a TV175 or GP200 (nice!!!) rightly said the Lambretta was a more stylish and advanced machine But.....yep the Maicoletta,Zundap bella,Heinkle Tourist et al were far better but didn't exist in any numbers to be that popular 20 or 30 yrs down the track...Anyone remember the Rabbit that the Post office used to use...made by Fuji heavy industries...same crowd that made the Zero fighter!!
    banzai!!!!!!!
    would still love another lammie....Hmmmm or maybe now a Italjet dragster 180
    The tie between vespa's and Citroens?? in my case neither the Citroen or vespa were loved by the GP...unloved and misunderstood...perhaps that's why??
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Thread Information