Citroen Internet Fraud
  • Help

Default Citroen Internet Fraud

Hi all,

The Ebay ID Decap certantly stired up the Froggy Citroen Forum, and while there's no disputing the photos' are of a genuine ID/DS convertable, it's the advert that probably a fraud!

It's all too easy to download the photos from a genuine advertisement else where on the net, and relist it on ebay or another site as you own car, take a deposit and then do a runner.

I'm talking from experience, I paid a deposit ($8,000 US) on a '64 DS decap, advertised on a world car web site, but I found out too late, that it was downloaded in it's entirety from Vintage Motors of Saritosa's web site, who had previously sold the real DS decap.

The Decap ad I replied to said the car was in Lomboc, Indonesia, and the owner supplied me with Indonesian rego papers, as proof of ownership. These turned out to be also fraudulant. The chassis no on this DS said it was a sedan, but in my rush to make the purchase, dismissed it also as a factory error.

Its also done on Ebay! The car is withdrawn from sale just before or after the auction. The second highest bidder is offered the car, and is told the highest bidder has withdrawn. The seller suggests settling off Ebay. Of course the second highest bidder can't believe his luck, and jumps at the offer, and falls into the trap. Just such a incident was reported in the Sydney papers last year. The car is always off shore making inspections difficult.

So be warned, internet fraud is alive and doing brisk business.

Advertisement

Greg, PUTTY

I personally still can't come at paying for something I can't see in the flesh. If it is a rare item, thus attracting big dollars, then for the cost of an airfare and some accomodation it makes sense to inspect in person.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    I personally still can't come at paying for something I can't see in the flesh. If it is a rare item, thus attracting big dollars, then for the cost of an airfare and some accomodation it makes sense to inspect in person.
    Couldn't agree more.

NEVER buy a car from a stranger without inspecting it before handing over the dosh...although the internet might seem "safer" than a classified in a newspaper, the pictures can easily be forged, not to mention the identity of the seller, who could prove impossible to track down after handing over the money...

I've bid on ebay items before such as vintage speakers, and there was one in particular where the pictures were clearly not what they claimed to be - they were supposed to be an 8" full range driver, but I recongised it as the 10" model (which looks very similar to the untrained eye) but as they were the wrong pictures I knew that they were not pictures of the actual pair for sale, which could have easily proved to be in poor condition.

Despite pointing out the differences between the two models to the seller, he vehemently denied that they were the wrong pictures, and therefore, no sale....better safe than sorry...

Regards,
    Simon
    1998 Xantia Mk2 V6 Auto Exclusive

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

With a buy of this magnitude, I'd try to find a local mechanic/bodyshop to look at the car for me ... At least then you will know it actually exists.

Failing that, ask him for a photo of somewhere obscure, if he doesn't have the car, he won't be able to take the photos' (eg: the door hinges... something will will require a view of the car not already shown).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    With a buy of this magnitude, I'd try to find a local mechanic/bodyshop to look at the car for me ... At least then you will know it actually exists.

Failing that, ask him for a photo of somewhere obscure, if he doesn't have the car, he won't be able to take the photos' (eg: the door hinges... something will will require a view of the car not already shown).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Assuming he's not just taking photos of a friends car, or one at a car yard..... (ok, call me a cynic )

Regards,
    Simon
    1998 Xantia Mk2 V6 Auto Exclusive

Thread Information