Rear Arm Bearings - BX
  • Help

Default Rear Arm Bearings - BX

Looking at the TZi this afternoon as I was emptying the shopping I noticed that the Drivers Side Rear Wheel was leaning...

So I'm guessing it's rear arm bearing time

My questions are:-

1) How long can you leave it before you need to bite the bullet... it has near new tyres on the rear so was thinking of throwing on a still very good set I have in the shed for the time being until they are replaced... !

Advertisement

2) What other damage (if any) can be caused if not fixed immediately?

3) What are the risks if left for a while... (ie can the wheel fall off and overtake the car)

Note that this is my daily commuter so it does 200klms per day of 80% freeway driving at 110 - 115kph.

Thanks in advance for your advice....

BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Can't fall off... All it'll do is start to torque steer slightly when it gets really bad. Worst case is will chew out the arm and wear the tyre badly. It shouldn't really matter really, though it won't ride or handle as well

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

You can damage the arm, wear tyres unevenly and the car will handle badly, I put off doing the rear arm job for ages (there were plenty in the breakers) but having a TZD with ABS last year I had to bite the bullet and actually replace the bearings, what an anticlimax! the job is straightforward, I could not get the ABS sensor out so I disconnected it under the seat and did the job with it attached, the manuals go on about internal pullers.....rubbish theres a plastic tube between the outer tracks, cut that up, pull it out and the old bolt with its head cut off makes a perfect drift, just buy the full kit with bearings, bolt and new plastic tube, not even expensive.
    Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Z
    Looking at the TZi this afternoon as I was emptying the shopping I noticed that the Drivers Side Rear Wheel was leaning...

So I'm guessing it's rear arm bearing time

My questions are:-

1) How long can you leave it before you need to bite the bullet... it has near new tyres on the rear so was thinking of throwing on a still very good set I have in the shed for the time being until they are replaced... !

2) What other damage (if any) can be caused if not fixed immediately?

3) What are the risks if left for a while... (ie can the wheel fall off and overtake the car)

Note that this is my daily commuter so it does 200klms per day of 80% freeway driving at 110 - 115kph.

Thanks in advance for your advice....

Mine was a severe case but if it goes on for too long the arms gets mangled where the seals and bearing preload shims/spacers sit. In my case it was a BX 16v and both sides had gone (long before I bought the car). When I pulled it to bits the bearings had long since disintegrated and I had to get the arms sleeved on 3 of the 4 sides to repair the damage. I needed a shim kit to set the bearing preload, 4 new bearing spacers, 2 new plastic tubes, 2 new steel tubes and a set of bearings and seals. Total cost parts and machine work - $500. I did the labour myself to fit and remove.

In an unusual twist (for working on a Citroen) the whole remove and fit the bits and refit went well :-)

It also buggers the braking/handling (might do really funny things if its just one side at the moment) - which in an emergency situation is sort of important.

To summarise - don't leave it too long, do both sides and it will cost less for parts.

Oh, and maybe repack the rear wheel bearings with grease while the arms are off - the grease dries up and chances are no one will have ever done this job before...

Cheers,

Chris

UFO

I think that Alan and others have also suggested fitting a grease nipple to the arm so that the bearing can be greased occasionally. Search for the thread.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thanks Guys....

The TRi needs a collant bleed and change... and oil & filter... when I get that done I'll get the TZi done sooner rather than later...

Cheers all...

Jack
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

Default Rear arm bearing solution

Hi Jack,

On hearing your sad story I am moved to offer you the chance to buy my BX19 TZi which is not - at this point in time - suffering from suspected rear arm bearing failure. Have a look at my posting of 3rd Feb 2006.

By the way how do i move it up the list?

F/S - Citroen BX 19 TZI hatch, Brisbane - MUST GO

Cheers
    Gastric Brooding Frog
    Gastric Brooding Frog

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Eungella GBF

By the way how do i move it up the list?
    Add a comment to it along the lines of BUMP as in "bumping" it up the list.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Cheers GBF.... but I'm looking at reducing my fleet not increasing it... !!!!

Yours sounds like the perfect car for Trevor though who has had a run of problems with his TRS....

As much as I would love another BX and yours sounds like a goodun... I need to reduce the fleet... to make way for my new baby...

So the GS, 2500S and our MKI Lotus Cortina are all going..

The new adition arrives soon and I need BOTH the space and the $$$'s so it's new rear arm bearings for our TZi...

Now to remind myself... BE STRONG!!!!
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

Thread Information