How long is a piece of pipe?
  • Help

Default How long is a piece of pipe?

Ok, I'm looking at getting a new hydraulic line made up for my BX in Adelaide. One last hurrah to try and get it back to Melbourne.

But, I don't what length it should be. Can anyone help?

The line comes from the lower right output of the regulator (viewed from the front), has a couple of coils before it heads off under the engine and then to who-knows-where.

I guess I could get it made really-really long and just coil up the excess but I don't even know what really-really long is.

I have a sneaking suspicion it goes to the power steering as this is what stopped working when the light came on. But that's just a guess.

Suggestions?

Advertisement

Actually, forget about this. In a moment of divine inspiration I've come up with the conclusion of getting a 4m line made up, which should be ong enough for anything. I'll keep it as part of my rescue kit for when I'm travelling should such a thing ever happen again.

Which it never will, now that I'm prepared for it. (A corallary to Murphy's law, I believe).

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Can't you pull the right line off a wreck, so you know it's length and size is correct (I wouldn't want to drive all that way to find it's a 3mm line, with a 4mm line in hand).

BX16 trs's are just about giveaway territory now. Why don't you ring Dave Cavanagh and see if he has a wreck to pull the line off.... You could possibly even pull it off yourself, that way you'll know what tools you need to get it off and on your car.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I'm getting both diameters made up, each 4m. Smiffy will be doing it and it's not going to cost much, even being posted from the UK. I won't be taking another bite of the cherry for a couple of weeks so the time to get here isn't an issue. (About a week, from previous experience.)

It's not about a permanent fix for the TRS, it's definitley being stripped and it'd be easier to wreck it over time here in Melbourne rather than wasting my weekends with the kids doing it in Adelaide.

A one off rescue attempt where I end up with a pair of 'universal' components that become part of the kit I always travel with makes sense. Said kit will be getting expanded a bit, in light of recent experience.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yeah it makes sense....

You realise that you'll most likely never need it. The reason hydraulic lines and flaring tools are easy to come by in the UK is the pipe on everything before BX's corroded away in a very short time. Out here they last the life of the car. In the 20years my father and I have been driving Citroens the only high pressure line we have had fail was on my CX .............. And it was most likely because I'd bent it at some stage so it was rubbing.

It really is an extremelly rare event needing a hydraulic line.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    You realise that you'll most likely never need it.
    Yes, like I said, "Which it never will, now that I'm prepared for it. (A corollary to Murphy's law, I believe)."

But I've stuffed around with this long enough, so I'm getting out the sledge hammer. (Maybe literally, if I still don't get the car back!)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Yeah it makes sense....

You realise that you'll most likely never need it. The reason hydraulic lines and flaring tools are easy to come by in the UK is the pipe on everything before BX's corroded away in a very short time. Out here they last the life of the car. In the 20years my father and I have been driving Citroens the only high pressure line we have had fail was on my CX .............. And it was most likely because I'd bent it at some stage so it was rubbing.

It really is an extremelly rare event needing a hydraulic line.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Same thing applies here in NZ.

The only high pressure pipes I've ever seen fail in all the Citroen's I've been involved with is a pipe on a GS where the pipe was out of place due to a muckup while working on the car, and was actually touching the inner driveshaft boot and wore though, and on my Dad's Xantia, where one of the strut feed pipes cracked - and turned out to be a home made copper pipe that someone had bodged with not enough flexing length for the strut! (All original pipes are steel, and the strut pipes are supposed to have rather large flexing loops to allow the struts to tilt....)

Regards,
    Simon
    1998 Xantia Mk2 V6 Auto Exclusive

I had one of these pipes go on the TRI122 because the nylon return pipe was rubbing against it - no damage to the nylon pipe though. I just got it brazed up over the hole. But you have to take the pipe off and empty it properly first to get it to take properly apparently.

Another technique is to cut the pipe at the break and then us a sleeve over joining ferrule thingo to rejoin the pipe - everyone should carry a couple of each size of these when they head outback according to Steeley.

Good Luck

Ken W

Thread Information