Perils of multitasking
  • Help

Default Perils of multitasking

This weekend has been interesting, well kind of. Plan was to replace the flow divider and the light switch. After around 8- 9 hours work I am ready to reconnect the battery fill her up with LHM, coolant and test the handiwork..
    First weirdness - connecting the battery results in the indicators to flash both sides as if the hazards switch is on. Check that, no not on, hmm ok the the light switch must be incorrectly plugged. No that appears not to be the problem. Ok reinstall the old switch, still flashing. Have no switch connected, the two group wiring plugs are left swinging in the breeze. Indicators still flashing. I noticed then that the indicators are flashing in a sequence. Flash for about 40 seconds then stop for about 15 then start again Any ideas?
    Second strangeness. Ignoring the flahing indicators I thought stuff that at least I’ll get the motor going and check for leaks and repressure the system. Turn the key and only get the click click of I assume of starter motor solenoid. The battery has been disconnected since Saturday lunchtime and was cranking fine prior to that. Is there something I have missed? Considered to jump start the car but the manual has explicit instructions on jump starting that I haven’t seen before. The negative lead from the donor battery has to be directly earthed on the body of the ‘patient ‘car? Is this real? Once again thanks in advance for any suggestions and assistance.
    David

Advertisement

Default Am I presuming BX not Blitzvagon

It could be the immobiliser or the alarm that needs resetting especially if it is the original mongoose goose being the operative word
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Which car is this ??

Either way, check the earth points.... Screams 'earth issues' to me

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: The includes the battery terminal too
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Arch is spot on with this one... to me it screams of Mongoose Original Equipment security system...

Battery disconected .... now imobiliser is activated and hazards are flashing... sirens probably been disconnected otherwise it would be more obvious...

THey are more trouble than they are worth and ever since I totally rmeoved them from both our TZi and TRi i have had NO problems... best thing I ever did... but beware... unless removed properly the imobilizer circuit will stay "active" and you will not be able to start the car.

Good luck with it...

Jack
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

This is a BX tzi. Ahhh possibly the alarm. How and where do I reset the the alarm?

Definitely the alarm... guaranteed....!

Take out the glove box and you will find a black box cable tied to the wiring loom behind the glove box.

The one in my TZi had a little hole in the back with a sunken reset button (like resetting a palm pilot etc). At the end of th eday I didn't stop having problems like slow current drain (flat battery over time) until I removed the thing completely.

Not sure if every one used the same because from memory the TRi had a different box in it.
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

Quote Originally Posted by davidc
    The negative lead from the donor battery has to be directly earthed on the body of the ‘patient ‘car?
    Yeah, I've been told that this is the go for any car. Tried it the other night when a friend had a flat battery -- complete waste of time! Possibly I didn't clamp onto a solid enough earth point on his car.

I think maybe the idea is to prevent voltage spikes and arcing when you first put the clamp on.

Chris
    GS 1220 break. Beige cars go faster

Ok, now dumb shane has read your post again.

Yeah it's the alarm, I thought you meant earth leakage flashing (you know partially flashing/dim lights). I guess you talking about the BX then.

Surprisingly the Mongoose alarm in our BX didn't give any problems at all, and always worked perfectly ... The remote central locking worked without issue on both remotes, right upto the time we parked it up (though one of the remotes did get intermittant towards the end ... most likely just flat batteries).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Icon11 Mongoose like being bitten by one

Had to remove the complete assembly from both the TR22 and the 16v absolute nightmare on elm st both cars developed such nasty personalities that they both had to have exorcisms
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Well finally got to have another go at this briefly last night. I was able to locate the black box (thanks Archrival, JackZ )but needed to cut the cable ties and disconnect three wiring plugs to not find any reset button. The box was marked Citreon and MBXxxx. Mbx for MongooseBX? With the plugs disconnected the car started ok and that was the amount of time I could spare. If I reconnect the box I wonder whether it would re- arm the immobilizer? And conversely if I left it disconnected would there be some functions that wouldn’t work like remote locking?
    thanks

If you disconnect the alarm you will have no remote locking (unless you still have the highly unreliable infrared remote).

The easiest way to keep you remote centrol locking is to buy an new alarm (they all have central locking interfaces). Instalation would be easy as all the required wiring is already there for the old alarm.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

First chance I've had to read this one.
    If you had your plip, just hit lock and then unlock and it's fixed.
    The clicking on the starter may be associated with the immobiliser as they usually have a relay fitted that dangles around in the vicinity of the battery and I've had a couple of them croak because nobody ever seems to fix them to the body correctly and they either get moisture or corrosion in them. Dodgy contact in the solenoid or worn brushes give the same symptoms.
    You either have a car alarm which is turned off or you don't have an alarm as when the immobiliser works, the siren usually goes off.
    Only problem I can see with disconnecting is that if you've declared on your insurance that the car has an immobiliser/alarm and it gets nicked, I doubt the Insurance will cover you.
    Incidentally, every time you disconnect the power to these, it triggers the immobiliser/alarm so you need the button ready to kill it or it'll get you every time when you go to restart afterwards.
    The one part of BX alarms that will trap you is the "motion sensor" which is a bit of 'Tractor technology" in the form of a set of weighted metal contacts that sit in a clear plastic holder and are often left sitting on top of the glovebox. The idea being if it detects a sudden movement, it open circuits the starter. Wonder how many were sold as "Irrepairable" or sent home on a truck when this suddenly struck, possibly just after the suspension settled a bit harshly?

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Default Thats why i ripped mine out of the TRS122

One o'clock in the morning as the car settled it would get every tom cat in the neighbourhood on heat it just got to much . I think that there is a reset button on the siren from memory

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHRIVAL
    One o'clock in the morning as the car settled it would get every tom cat in the neighbourhood on heat it just got to much . I think that there is a reset button on the siren from memory

Yours must have had that antiquated mevement sensor I spoke about. Bridge it out and you still have the alarm without that drama every time the suspension sits down.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Default BX issues

Hi all...On my BX's anytime I have had the battery disconnected the same things happen...once i read the manual (out of frustration) I learnt that you need to turn ignition on...then press small button thing! inside glovebox (which enables car to be started and indicators to go off) then start and off you go.....
    cheers
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Thread Information