Commonality of BX parts between models.
  • Help

Icon5 Commonality of BX parts between models.

Hello all,

my trip to SA to rescue my BX16TRS has failed. It only took 10 minutes to diagnose the fault once I had it on the stands. A high pressure line that runs along a subframe member past the sump has been rubbing on the sump and finally wore through. Various attempts to improvise a repair have been unsuccesful.

Now I need to decide if it's worth getting a new line and returning in a few weeks for another go, or scrapping it for parts.

If I go the latter, I might look for a 19TRi. My TRS has a new starter motor, water pump and regassed spheres. It would be good to keep these. What about the hydraulic parts? Pump, regulators, return lines etc? These would be the only bits I'm likely to keep.

Thanks in anticipation,
    Trevor

Advertisement

Trevor,

Simplest way of comparing is by having a play around here:

https://secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop/

At a pinch I can possibly point you at a website that contains a full parts list also.
    As regards the leak you have; not a big problem.
    Preferrably if you can remove it from the car, cut the line at the area where it has scuffed through, sleeve it with a piece of pipe that's a neat fit over it, clean everything up and silver solder it, you'll find it'll last forever.
    Last one I did was on a CX that lasted close to 10 years until the car was tailended and written off, so it is a successful way of solving it with little or no cost involved.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Most interior trim and mechanical parts are different.

However I think you could be in luck, the starter should be the same. The waterpump you will need to look into (you see it may have a different number of teeth or something silly on the pump to cater for different cambelts etc... ).

The spheres will transfer straight across and give the 19tri a nice soft'ish ride.

Really a hydraulic line is no big deal at all. Just take a section of line with you, bend it to shape and screw it on. I'm always careful to make sure the HP lines on my car are never touching anywhere, as they do rub through (as you have found).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I actually got away with normal electronic type soldering straight over damage for a few months on the main output of the GS hydraulic pump while I sourced a new one. It sounds dodgey looking back on it!
    You need to get the pipe very hot & have a bit of patience to make it work. You wouldn't really want a doblet dropping inside the pipe either as it could jam something in the system.
    I used a butane soldering iron which had equilavent of 80watts I think.

Trevor,

Persevere......! You've spent (and done) far to much to let a leaking line stump you now...

Believe me ANY BX you replace this with will invariably bring with it just as many (if NOT MORE) problems over time and you will be back to square one... and much worse off having poored $$$ down the drain...

If you're prepared to spend on a replacement there is really very little you can transfer from a BXTRs to a TRi or TZi... why not set asside the $X you are going to fork out on another car to tidy up whatever is left on the one you have already done so much work on...

If you decide it's all too much then my advise is simply get rid of the one you have all together.. and the frustration that goes with it OR buy another TRs to sit along side it.

My

Cheers..
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

Hi, thanks for all the feedback.

While packing my tools I looked at my soldering iron and asked myself if I should take it. "Nah, what would I possibly need that for?"

I have downloaded the big PDF file of BX parts, unfortunately it doesn't cover the TRS so I can't cross reference.

Had a look on the GSF site and it looks good; pumps, starter, regulators etc all appear common. I could care less about interior bits, mine are crappy anyway so I wouldn't be keeping them.

Replacing the line is no big deal, it's just the logistics of the car being in Adelaide. I got done $35 excess baggage for my 42kg suitcase full of tools on the train (it only cost $47 for me!) and not being able to drive the BX home meant hiring a car at $145 - a BA Falcon. Add onto that the almost $200 I paid to fly back the first time ($145 air fare, $50 for the taxi from Tullamarine). Like the guy in the US Congress talking about defence spending said, "A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon it adds up to real money!" And the train timetable is changing next week in a way that makes it impractical for me to use any more so I'm running out of options as well as money.

Either way, a second car seems the way to go. Driving the Ford was quite pleasant, certainly better than the Toyotas I've used previously. The suspension still wasn't a patch on the BX, even the kids commented on that. But the grunt sure was nice so the 1.9l donk is tempting.

My TRS has no resale value despite what I've spent. I've been discovering many iffy things in the time I've spent poking around. I was ripped off paying $2500 for it, but live and learn, I guess. I'll just have to write that money off. The $2500 on repairs I've spent was mostly labour by Dave at FC. So really, in terms of actual improvements the car isn't all that different from when it started.

I know a lot more about these beasts now, and stripping the TRS will also be educational. As most of the bits worth saving from my TRS will fortunately go into a TRi it seems the logical way to go. It really boils down to making sure I end up with the car I really want at the end.

If I can my Camira back on the road my options open up a bit. That will be my misson this week. I won't be buying anything anytime soon as I'm strapped.

Regards,
    Trevor

Seriously the TRi is a vastly better car that a 16trs slugomatic. Performance is a different world. Get a 5spd manual BX19tri. If your ever in Ballarat I'm happy to show you over it, and pick any common problems that I know about (that probably isn't many). mainly, front struts, steering hardydisk and rear arm bearings. All of which shouldn't be hard to fix (so long as the struts aren't leaking).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Seriously the TRi is a vastly better car that a 16trs slugomatic. Performance is a different world. Get a 5spd manual BX19tri. If your ever in Ballarat I'm happy to show you over it, and pick any common problems that I know about (that probably isn't many). mainly, front struts, steering hardydisk and rear arm bearings. All of which shouldn't be hard to fix (so long as the struts aren't leaking).
    Thanks, I might take you up on that.
    '88 BX19tri (someone please by it )
    I've been meaning to ask, what sort of condition is this in? I remember reading something about it being driven into the ground and dumped in the back paddock...

Quote Originally Posted by tlampre
    Thanks, I might take you up on that.

I've been meaning to ask, what sort of condition is this in? I remember reading something about it being driven into the ground and dumped in the back paddock...

Nah that's not the car you want ... Get yourself the best possible BX19tri you can find and keep it in good condition. This one needs a lot of work, ie: front struts leaking, clutch, ventilation fans .... Which I would have fixed myself only the interior in the poor car is absolutely trashed. I'd consider it a parts car myself. Even though it runs perfectly.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Nah that's not the car you want ... Get yourself the best possible BX19tri you can find and keep it in good condition. This one needs a lot of work, ie: front struts leaking, clutch, ventilation fans .... Which I would have fixed myself only the interior in the poor car is absolutely trashed. I'd consider it a parts car myself. Even though it runs perfectly.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Ok, I figured as much. I would prefer to buy something from a known AF'er though, more chance of an honest appraisal. I'll be keeping a close eye on the 'For Sale' forum. The only manual being advertised at the mo' is the one out at Footscray.

Just a thought, but as you like the Trs for many reasons and you'd prefer the Tri for different ones and as there was such a thing as a 19Trs overseas, could you get the best of both worlds by looking at Shanes old Tri and dropping the guts into the frame of the Trs???

Worthy of thought and a viable cheap option???

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Just a thought, but as you like the Trs for many reasons and you'd prefer the Tri for different ones and as there was such a thing as a 19Trs overseas, could you get the best of both worlds by looking at Shanes old Tri and dropping the guts into the frame of the Trs???

Worthy of thought and a viable cheap option???

Alan S
    That would take a dedicated nutcase Not only would you need to do the slugomatic to manual conversion, you would also need to add the fuel injection, so the electric fuel pump, the fuel tank (possibly) the fuel lines, the wiring harnesses, the computers etc, etc, etc................

Far better to fix the existing TRi .............. Having said that, it's financially hugelly better to find a good car to start with, than end up with a dogs breakfast of a car that's bits of everything and would take a hugely dedicated effort to ever finish.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

That would take a dedicated nutcase Not only would you need to do the slugomatic to manual conversion, you would also need to add the fuel injection, so the electric fuel pump, the fuel tank (possibly) the fuel lines, the wiring harnesses, the computers etc, etc, etc................

Far better to fix the existing TRi .............. Having said that, it's financially hugelly better to find a good car to start with, than end up with a dogs breakfast of a car that's bits of everything and would take a hugely dedicated effort to ever finish.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Yeah, what he said!

If I had a house of my own again (plus workshop and dumping ground, er, back yard) such a project would be fun for the sheer lunacy of it. But right now I'm trying to balance my lunatic tendencies with the need for transport. Which is terribly boring, I know, but I'm a tad constrained right now. I mean, it's loony enough trying to use the words Citroen, Camira, reliable and 'cost effective' all in the same breath as it is!

Thread Information