Rear brakes not releasing on BXGT - Ideas please
  • Help

Default Rear brakes not releasing on BXGT - Ideas please

Had a call from Dave when he was on his way home from work this afternoon. After he stopped at some traffic lights about half way home, he noticed the car didn't want to accelerate normally. When he tried to take off, it felt like the handbrake was on, but on the rear wheels, so that the rear dipped down quite markedly on take off. He pulled into the nearest sidestreet and left the car there for a few hours until I finished work. By that stage it didn't seem to be too bad so we cancelled the tow call to the RACQ and bravely drove home. By the time we got home, both back wheels were quite hot and Dave had found the fire extinguisher just in case because of the smell.

We released the hydraulic pressure in the rear circuit by lowering the car and the car seemed to roll better (except that the back wheels snagged on the guard). When we pumped it back up, it was almost locked unmovable.

Sounds to me like there is a leak in the brake doseur valve which is applying some rear suspension pressure to the rear brakes - what do you guys think?

Also, this car does have the most sensitive brake valve that I have ever felt on a Cit GS and onwards.

Advertisement

Ken W

Hasn't just got air in the system by any chance?

I recently bled the rears on the Xantia due to some strange characteristics and pumped one lot of LHM through that filled a 250 gram coffee bottle with solid fizz. The difference in performance of suspension and brakes after that was amazing.
    I also expect the usual old bogey of seizing pistons in round town cars has alao been checked?

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Hasn't just got air in the system by any chance?

I recently bled the rears on the Xantia due to some strange characteristics and pumped one lot of LHM through that filled a 250 gram coffee bottle with solid fizz. The difference in performance of suspension and brakes after that was amazing.
    I also expect the usual old bogey of seizing pistons in round town cars has alao been checked?

Alan S
    Ah! Did he have a load in the rear of the car that was not normally there? Hence leading to work on the rear brakes which, as Alan indicated, are not used to being used and therefore decided to pick an inopportune time to stuff up?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

No extra load in the back - he was on his way back home to pick that up.

Well after pulling the 16V engine out and then finding all the back headbolts almost loose (curses), I think we will try the easy stuff first on the brakes tomorrow. First see if the pistons will slide back into the calipers OK and then bleed the brakes before we try swopping a doseur valve.

THanks for suggestions so far.

Ken W

As some of you may know, the rear brakes on CX/BX cars do very little, unless there is a load in the back. My bet, is that the rear calpiers have stuck! Remove the rear calipers, clean around the pistons with emery cloth, and push the pistons as far back into the caliper half as possible. re-assemble, and put back on the car, then bleed in the normal way.
    Try it out, it won't cost you a penny!! john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Tadpole

I have seen the rear calipers sieze repeatedly on BX cars, the rears just dont do enough work to keep them free, I remove the pistons and clean them and the bores using a green plastic pan scrubber and LHM, its sometimes a good idea to open up the hole in the pad where the bolt goes through a little too.
    Stewart

Thread Information