Ripped out 16v sunroof
  • Help

Default Ripped out 16v sunroof

Just a quick note before I go to work,

Walked to car this morning underneath my g/f building in Newtown (communal lock up garage), notice my sunroof isn't sitting right....... bah just me....

Running late so ignore not another thought to it, wheres the "boppa" to open the roller door??? Bugger must be up stairs...... but..... anyway running late??

Driving up the freeway at 110 starts to rain, go to close the sunroof........ nasty sound and no movement, well actually WRONG movement it is now bouncing in the breeze......Frig

Advertisement

Appears that some little toerag ripped out my sunroof last night leaving it just placed back in with the only thing holding it in there being one of the white plastic bits that sits under the runner, the other is sitting on top of its runner and both "arms" that make the roof go up and down are popped out.

Can get the arms in but not the white tab thing. Any ideas on how to do this?? without scratching my roof even more where they got it out??

Still can't find the remote for the roller door. They left all CD's, mp3player, keys to the Swift GTi (has no brake fluid anyway........hehehehe)

Very not happy Jan.

Thanks for the vent, and if anyone can tell me how to put it back in that would be great

Jono
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

Bastards, i've always thought the easiest way to break into a Bx would be to just force the sunroof. Glad nothing was stolen! My Bx GT and our 306 both sport scars from similar sets of events.

Dave

Just a thought, but if you pull the square plastic cover off above the rear vision mirror, you'll find the manual winder.
    I would guess you may be able to wind the mechanism with that and pethaps manouvre the roof around once you get some kind of control over the mechanism.
    Never had to do it, but just a thought.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Don't know if you have a Haynes BoL for the BX, but they have a section in it on removing and replacing the sunrood and it isn't too bad. Have had mine out twice to fix it and it took about an hour to R&R it. If you don't have one, I think one of the Citroen Euro sites has a link to an online manual.
    Having said all that, I'm about 2/3 through stripping my 16V parts car and a sunroof is one of the things still to come out...
    Cheers,
    Roscoe
    1991 BX TZD
    1990 BX 16V (x 2)
    2004 307 Touring
    1990 Mitsubishi Express Van: Alpaca Transport:

Finally got around to fixing the out of whack sunroof today.

Excessively easy once I worked out what to do, just free the glass, pop it out and place the plastic arm thingy back in the track. Refitting, reverse of removal.

Got bored so decided to take pics along the way

Some pics, clicky to make bigger.

The Roof as it was closed fully but not.
    Ripped out 16v sunroof-sunroof-broken.jpg

Plastic arm that was sitting on top of the track
    Ripped out 16v sunroof-sunroof-track-before.jpg

Arm once replaced under the track
    Ripped out 16v sunroof-sunroof-track-after.jpg

Fixed and replaced sunroof, now working properly
    Ripped out 16v sunroof-sunroof-fixed.jpg

Rust in the actual frame of the glass
    Ripped out 16v sunroof-sunroof-rust.jpg

Thanks for your help, how worried should I be about the rust in the frame of the sunroof glass??

Jono
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

That rust didn't grow much in size in the 18 months that I had it Jono, and I'm about 200m from the beach.

How's the car going in general? Did you set the heights correctly?

I've still got this stuff in the garage. Do you want it or can I eBay it?

Quote Originally Posted by macquered
    That rust didn't grow much in size in the 18 months that I had it Jono, and I'm about 200m from the beach.

How's the car going in general? Did you set the heights correctly?

I've still got this stuff in the garage. Do you want it or can I eBay it?
    Hi Brendan,

The rust that is there was actually on the "inside" of the sunroof, not the stuff you could see from sitting in the car. You actually couldn't have seen it without taking the roof out. Plus I get a huge amount of salt spray where I live

Car's going great, just externally lubed the front struts this morning as well.
    Nice and smooth going up and down. Engine and gearbox are as to be expected, revvy and alot of fun.

Front is still sitting a little high, so I'll have to bite the bullet and try adjusting the height soon.

Sorry I've just realised that you've sent me a PM a looonng time ago about that, must have missed that while switching computers around the place. I'll reply to you there.

Jono
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

Thread Information