What is a GS X2?
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default What is a GS X2?

Last night I went and salvaged a dead GS from the east coast of Tassy.

It is badged 'GS X2', and has blacked bumpers, what looks like a factory sun roof, an English style locking glovebox and a health dose of tinworm!

I've heard they have a slightly 'sportier' motor and a 'close ratio gear box'

Does any know what the actual difference is between this and a standard 1220?

Advertisement

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andrewj

It is badged 'GS X2', and has blacked bumpers, what looks like a factory sun roof, an English style locking glovebox and a health dose of tinworm!

I think there a 1300 aren't they ??? It may have been the X3 that got the close ratio box ?? Do a google search, I'm sure I've seen a website that lists the differences in the past.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

The X2 has a hotted up 1220 motor (65hp; higher compresssion ratio and different cams), and various minor differences in trim. If you put that engine in another car you might want to keep octance booster up to it in Tassie -- they probably need more than the dubious 95 octane that normal "premium" gives you.

There's also a GS X3 and a GSA X3. I think they're both 1300 engines, but I'm not sure about gearboxes -- even in the GSA only some got the short-ratio box.

If the car you have is a 4-speed I doubt it would be a close-ratio, that would be very hard on the ears! I'll have a look in Haynes tonight though.

How bad is the tin-worm? (those sunroofs are shocking things, should be called rustroofs) There can't be very many X2s left in the world... piccies?

Chris
    GS 1220 break. Beige cars go faster

That's a bit of a find Andrew! Wouldn't mind having a squiz at it some time just for curiosity, I've certainly never seen one before.
    By the way, will you be going to the club picnic at Murdunna on Sunday?
    Cheers,

Yeh petrol is likely to be an issue- Even the 95 Octane is pretty dodgy down here- I've had quite a few fills which aren't up to spec...

The vehicle was sitting behind some sand dunes, so the rust seems to have come from the outside not the inside. I haven't had a good look at it in daylight, but I'm hopeful it's not as bad as it first looks.... I haven't opened the sun roof yet, so who know's what I'll find there!

I'll take some piccies on the week end....

Cheers,
    Andrew

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

I haven't opened the sun roof yet, so who know's what I'll find there!
    Rust!

Let us know

Quote Originally Posted by chris
    How bad is the tin-worm? (those sunroofs are shocking things, should be called rustroofs) There can't be very many X2s left in the world... piccies?
    Hopefully the rust isn't too bad and the car is salvageable.

Troy.

Greetings from winter part of globe
    Is it like this one on pic.? GSX1.2 was my first Citroen , year 1988. Cimos from Slovenija ( Ex Yugoslavija ) made it like slightly sporty GS Pallace . In a meather of a fact : it was little cheaper . They saved money in cabin ( cheaper sits , in-sides of doors , isolation under feet , cockpit ... ) and hedalights . Here , engine and gearbox was the same . Also there was and GSX1.3 - 1300ccm . Instrument panel is better ( with turnmeter ) , and I'm using the same for near 20 years ( in my last 3 GS's ) . There was yellow and red origin from factory like on the pic.
    regards
    Klema
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is a GS X2?-klema.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by klema
    year 1988. Klema
    1978 perhaps, 1988, IMPOSSIBLE!!!! I think all GS/A production finished in 1984. john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071
    1978 perhaps, 1988, IMPOSSIBLE!!!! I think all GS/A production finished in 1984. john s
    I think you'll find that he meant that was when he first got the car

I don't think that is the same as the GS X2 that is being discussed either. The brochures I've seen for the GS X2 basically agree with what chris has said - it has a slightly hotted up version of the 1220 motor that is 65hp, mainly due to camshafts, and the trim level is better than standard, not worse.

The GS X3 is the same thing again, but using the 1299cc engine.

In LHD the GS X2 got the RHD style instrument panel with the round Jaegar instruments instead of the cheap and nasty LHD ones, but for RHD the dashboard was the same.

In the GS X3 I believe it also got the RHD GS style Jaegar instruments instead of the awful GSA drum instruments...

Regards,
    Simon
    1998 Xantia Mk2 V6 Auto Exclusive

Engine mods are hard to find - I could only find this:

CitroŽn Boxer Engine

...but the rest of it could be covered by this:

CitroŽn GS X, X2, X3

Going on current trends, the 5 bhp increase could be covered just by fitting the spoiler
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

and this thanks to cats...citroen.net
    GS and GSA 1970-1986
    Models:
    - Berline
    - Birotor Berline
    - Break
    - Service

Although most people don't realise this, even the GS was a very revolutionary car. It was one of the first more luxurious and comfortable mid range cars. It has hydraulic self levelling suspension, is very spacious and quite fast. Here are the changes year by year:
    1971: First GS. Berlines only. 1015cc boxer engine, 55.5 DIN hp, topspeed:147 km/h. Disc brakes all round.
    1972: Two new models: Break, and service. Service is a 2 door break, could also be delivered with closed up. These cars were used as breakdown aid cars by CitroŽn.
    1973: New engine option: 1222cc, 60 DIN hp, 151 km/h topspeed. This engine is also available with semi automatic gearbox.
    1974: A small series of Rotary engined cars is built (834 during 1974, 31 during 1975). 107 DIN hp, topspeed: 175 km/h!!! The cars have the future CX wheels and hubcaps and modification to the wings in order to fit these.
    1975: Two new models. First the X2. Car with 1220 engine but delivering 65 DIN hp, topspeed 157 km/h. The other novelty is the very luxurious GS, easily identified by the large hubcaps and chrome trim along the doors. The GS Service is no longer sold.
    1976: The service models are discontinued. All models get a slight decrease in power.
    1977: Front grille changes from gray to black with horizontal black bars, stainless steel for Club and Pallas models. More square rear lights. Chrome bootlid surrounds are replaced by an alu plate on the top of the lid. Mat black front bumpers for the GSX and GSX2. Round dials in the dashboard instead of the square ones with rotating disc.
    1978: The 1015cc is replaced with a 1130cc. Power only increases 1hp to 56hp but torque and fuel consumption improve considerably. X2 has new hubcaps and fog lights. G Special and GS Club have a folding rear seat as an option. New hubcaps for the pallas. All types:
    1130: Berline G Special, Berline GSX, Break G Special.
    1220: Berline Club, Berline Pallas, Berline Basalte, Break Club.
    GSX2 Berline.
    The Berline Basalte is a special series of about 1800 cars. Specification includes: Black with red stripes, wipers on the headlights, fog lights, radio, sun roof and matching interior.
    1979: GS X2 is replaced by the GS X3. 1299cc, 65 DIN hp, topspeed 158 km/h/ 100mph.
    1980: The GS is replaced by the GSA. This means that all types get different bumpers, hubcaps, grille, door handles interior and larger boot lid. The GS Special is the only model that doesn't get these changes. The X3 gets 5 speed gearbox which is an option on the Pallas.
    1981: The GS Special now becomes the GSA Special. All models except the C-matic and the X3 get an econometer.
    1982: The 1299cc engine gets better fuel consumption without any change in performance.
    1983: The GSA Club is replaced by the GSA X1 with an optional 5 speed gearbox.
    1984: The 1130cc engine disappears. Only the Special, Pallas, X1 and X3 models are left. The Club is only available as Break. The C-matic option disappears as well.
    1985: The 5 speed transmission option is replaced by the 5 speed long transmission option which features a longer 5th gear ratio.
    1986: Light alloy wheel and sun roof option disappear and by 1987 the whole GSA range has disappeared!
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

I could stand corrected (and no doubt will be if I'm drinking my own bathwater) but I seem to remember seeing one of these, a red one, at a FCD in Brisbane about 2 years ago.
    It was such a stunner that a female family friend who isn't really into Cits who came across to see us was gobsmacked by its appearance and asked where she could "buy one like that."
    I asked a few questions here and abroad and was told the car in question belonged to Alec Lowe's (Chevron Cars) son who had imported it from South Africa a few years back.
    Apparently, they kept sending them to SA after they ceased being imported into Australia and there were several over there.
    If Gerry or Dave have their pics from Brisbane FCD (possibly 2003?) I think there is at least one pic of it IIRC. If you see pics of the Lowe car, you'll definitely want to restore it regardless of condition.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

All of you are right ! Specialy Mr.Rev - Dogboy .
    And Mr. X - Smiffy 1071 is right : it was 1978 , but here years are passing like hours .
    But , because there was in my family and 1220 , and 1299 , and GSX , and GS Pallace in all combinations ( 6 or 7 of them ) I can tell You that all of them are very similar . Maby in origin GSX has sharper cam but on the throttle pedal they are same for me ( I'm not interested in top speed ) . BUT , all of them are floatong on the road !!!
    Also , Mr. Simon - Mandrake is totaly right : round Jaeger instruments are excellent ( that's why I'm pooling the same panel in my last 3 Cit's ) .
    We'll see on the pic's what is this . Send me some pic's of sun ! I spent all of beer supply in my house .
    Regards from snow and cold !
    Klema

Fellow Frogger!

Good luck with the GS X2 Andrewj, I'd imagine there would be very few left
    in Australia if any at all!

I hope you persist with it and get it up to scratch , remember this ain't no mundane old frog car like a pug or reno !

Quote Originally Posted by raver
    remember this ain't no mundane old frog car like a pug or reno !
    hehehe
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Default Here it is....

Got it home on Sunday and spent most of yesterday pulling it apart.

As you can see, it is like the one in Klema's picture, only with no sign of the rear spoiler or fog lights. The green paint is original.

Luckly you can't attach smells as rats had got into the interior- nearly puked getting the carpet out . - any ideas on getting the rat smell out of door liners and roof liners much appreciated!

The outer panels are all full of rust, but amazingly the shell is very sound with only localised rust on fire wall, roof and one sill. Check out how solid the floors are!

Had quite a battle with the sun roof and feared for the worse. Eventually I located the broken cable to the catch and slid it open. As you can see in the photo, although there is external rust on the outer lip, but the gutters and drains are damn near perfect.

The motor spins freely, and the previous owner reckons it was running fine when it was parked around 8 years ago. There's tin foil wrapped around the steel pipe between inlet manifold and the exhaust - with a hole burnt in it. I'm guessing that's why it was parked, as it would have filled the cabin with exhaust fumes...

So the question is... do I restore one of my Pallas', or do I get a bit of welding done and save the X2???? Unless I discover more rust, it reckon that an extra few days and $$$ would be well worth while....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is a GS X2?-gs37.jpg   What is a GS X2?-gs1.jpg   What is a GS X2?-gs2.jpg   What is a GS X2?-gs3.jpg   What is a GS X2?-gs4.jpg   What is a GS X2?-gs5.jpg  

Icon10

and more....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is a GS X2?-gs6.jpg   What is a GS X2?-gs7.jpg   What is a GS X2?-gs8.jpg   What is a GS X2?-gs9.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

andrewj the floor panels look as good as new!:

factory sunroof looks good too, great find!

Looks amazingly good for a car abandoned outside for 8 years.

Fellow Frogger!

Pity about the colour though

Regards,
    Simon
    1998 Xantia Mk2 V6 Auto Exclusive

Better than beige

Quote Originally Posted by chris
    Looks amazingly good for a car abandoned outside for 8 years.
    Yeh, and behind a beach, would you believe. Having said this, the doors, boot and front guards are all rusted beyond repair.

Looks pretty good.

I am surprised to see chrome bumpers. I was lead to believe X2 & X3 models had plastic bumpers.

I'd probably restore the X2 to be different
    It looks similar in trim to a Pallas anyway plus you have the factory sunroof.

Looking at the number plate, the engine is 1220.

Yes, different is good

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information