ID19 boot lid badge
  • Help

Default ID19 boot lid badge

Hi all,

Advertisement

I've only just noticed that the boot lid badge on the ID19 that I'm (sometimes vainly) readying for the road is missing.
    I have no idea if the lid itself is the original one for the car (although I suspect it is) but it does have holes and plastic plugs for a badge on the right hand rear corner. . .these, like the rest of the car have been heavily gooped over with a rather tacky looking 2-pak paint job. . .
    As far as I'm aware, this is a very late ID19 (1969). The ID plate on the firewall does say ID19, not D Super or D Special or anything. . .so what should the boot lid badge be? Or has the lid been swapped, and it shouldn't have one at all?

Thanks for your help,
    Peter and Sophia
    Jarrahdale, WA
    1970 ID19B

Hi Peter,

The badge should be a 'D Special' one - probably!

Before September 1968 there were no badges at all.

Before Sept 1969 the badge would have said ID 19 in separate, italicised, alloy letters.

In September 1969 it was changed to a badge that said D Special, in italic letters with a bar running through the centre. This badge was made of plastic (maybe that's why I've never seen one )

From July 72 they went to the flat alloy badge with black lettering incised.

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by soafie
    Hi all,

I've only just noticed that the boot lid badge on the ID19 that I'm (sometimes vainly) readying for the road is missing.
    I have no idea if the lid itself is the original one for the car (although I suspect it is) but it does have holes and plastic plugs for a badge on the right hand rear corner. . .these, like the rest of the car have been heavily gooped over with a rather tacky looking 2-pak paint job. . .
    As far as I'm aware, this is a very late ID19 (1969). The ID plate on the firewall does say ID19, not D Super or D Special or anything. . .so what should the boot lid badge be? Or has the lid been swapped, and it shouldn't have one at all?

Thanks for your help,

it would probely be a plastic chrome badge saying either special or super depending on which features it came with like weber/solex dual throat carby , a velour interior instead of vinle and not much else really. The batch looks like theres seperate letters but really they are a one piece badge joined at the bottom, so delicate too .

there was a badge for the early ID's it was on a angle on the drivers side that said Citroen in running writing (very rare but).Only the 21 and 21 pallas had engine identification badges.
    1970 ID20 SUPER
    1971 DS21 IE non PALLAS,5 Spd
    1973 DS20 SUPER Singapore model but now an Aust resident(Rebuilding)
    Late 1994 Xantia VSX 5speed (for sale)
    1966 R10 round eye (sombody want to buy?)

OK, thanks for the info guys - looks as though my car would have had the 'D-Special' badge, then (it has vinyl seats, single throat Solex etc - a reasonably basic car).
    I'm not exactly sure when in 1969 the car was built - rego papers say the car is a 1970, but the firewall plate says ID19. . .what was stamped on the ID plates of the post September '69 D-Specials/Supers?
    The badge holes in the bootlid are arranged in two pairs about 100mm apart. . .so the D-Special badge sounds more likely than the individual ID19 lettering.
    It also sounds as though I'm not all that likely to find a surviving badge if they are plastic. . .maybe I'm best just to mig up the holes and forget about it!

Thanks for your help,
    Peter and Sophia
    Jarrahdale, WA
    1970 ID19B

Hi Peter,

AFAIK all D Specials are actually called ID 19 on the plate. (But I could be wrong there).

The chassis nos for 1969 IDs go from 3794600-3797873, and then 3802002-3818896, according to Reynolds. From that you should be able to work out if yours was beginning or end at least.

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Believe it or not, while I was at the english DS rally last year, I saw a car there badged ID20!!! Can't remember what year it was though. john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Fellow Frogger!

I can have some more of the earlier Citroen scroll badges done in bronze for $35 + post if anyone is interested. They were often on the long stroke cars.
    Originally they were chromed alloy.

John Paas

Ph. 07-33683220 Email. bakelite@bigpond.com
    Fax. 07-33682332
    63 Windsor Rd, Red Hill, Brisbane. 4059.

www.authenticlightingandhardware.com

1967 DS 21:
    1968 ID21 Safari:
    1974 DS23 inj. auto Pallas:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith
    Hi Peter,
    AFAIK all D Specials are actually called ID 19 on the plate. (But I could be wrong there).
    The chassis nos for 1969 IDs go from 3794600-3797873, and then 3802002-3818896, according to Reynolds. From that you should be able to work out if yours was beginning or end at least.
    Paul
    Riiiiight. . .well, in that case, I dunno what I have.
    Firewall plate says ID19B. . .and the chassis number is 3904485. . obviously not in either of the ranges Paul quoted. . .
    As a further point, the engine number is 0559015140 (at least it is on the rego papers - I have no idea where the number is stamped on the engine).
    So does anyone know what this makes my car? A D-Special perhaps?

Thanks for your help,
    Peter and Sophia
    Jarrahdale, WA
    1970 ID19B

From what I can acertain, the ID 19B became a DSpécial from September 1969.

According to your chassis number 3904485, your car is a 1970 DSpécial.

Therefore, the badge you need has a chromed plastic moulding with D SPECIAL on a background bar.

I have no idea where you could source one of these from.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071
    Believe it or not, while I was at the english DS rally last year, I saw a car there badged ID20!!! Can't remember what year it was though. john s
    The ID20 the ID19 (1911cc) with a 1985cc engine if I remember right. It is quite unusual to see, more likely to see one badged a Special.

Dom

id19
    Berline Luxe
    Berline Export
    Berline Confort

id20
    Berline Confort
    Familiale Luxe
    Familiale Confort
    Break Luxe
    Break Confort
    Commercial Luxe

break Et Derives 21
    Familiale Luxe
    Familiale Confort
    Break Luxe
    Break Confort
    Commerciale Luxe

ds20
    Berline
    Berline Pallas
    Berline Prestige

Ds21

Berline
    Berline Pallas
    Berline Prestige
    Cabriolet
    1970 ID20 SUPER

berlines D
    Berline D Special
    Berline D Super

breaks Et Derives 20
    Familiale Luxe
    Familiale Confort
    Break Luxe
    Break Confort
    Commerciale Luxe

breaks Et Derives 21
    Familiale Luxe
    Familiale Confort
    Break Luxe
    Break Confort
    Commerciale Luxe

ds20
    Berline
    Berline Pallas
    Berline Prestige

ds21 Carburateur
    Berline
    Berline Pallas
    Berline Prestige
    Cabriolet

ds21 Injection
    Berline
    Berline Pallas
    Berline Prestige
    Cabriolet
    1970 ID20 SUPER

Fellow Frogger!

Default Badges for ID19 boot

Hi John,
    I have just bought a '65/66 Heidelberg ID19 and there are three holes on the boot lid - on the drivers side - that look like there was a Citroen badge there. I am assuming the boot lid is original and not off a later (d special maybe) car. I have not been able to find any photo online of a second/third nose ID (or DS for that matter) with a badge on the boot.
    Were these ones you were producing for the boot (my car does have the Citroen badge on the bonnet front passenger side)?
    Do you have a photo of them? Or any photos of cars showing some examples?
    Are you still producing them if I wanted one? I see this post is from 2006!
    Cheers, Leconte

Fellow Frogger!

Default Badge

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    From what I can acertain, the ID 19B became a DSpécial from September 1969.

According to your chassis number 3904485, your car is a 1970 DSpécial.

Therefore, the badge you need has a chromed plastic moulding with D SPECIAL on a background bar.

I have no idea where you could source one of these from.
    I have a spare DSpecial badge, if you want it email me:winkbul@tpg.com.au

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Leconte. My brother John has sold me a few of these Citroen badges that he gets cast. They look great on the passenger side bonnet or on the driver's side bootlid.
    The Heidelberg car that I pulled out of a paddock last year, has the 3 holes on the driver's side bootlid, so there you are. Get one while they are available.
    On my 1960 French ID, I put the badge on the bonnet. These are the joys of owning an ID
    On another note; I took the '23 5Speed for a run to Daylesford today. "God it Flies". Had the Spheres regassed a short time ago. I took the "Mucklefest" ID driver's seat back to the previous owner in Daylesford, for him to re-upholster. He'd done the complete car and only had the seat to go so he said he'd do it for me. It's all good fun Michael

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Leconte View Post
    Hi John,
    I have just bought a '65/66 Heidelberg ID19 and there are three holes on the boot lid - on the drivers side - that look like there was a Citroen badge there. I am assuming the boot lid is original and not off a later (d special maybe) car. I have not been able to find any photo online of a second/third nose ID (or DS for that matter) with a badge on the boot.
    Were these ones you were producing for the boot (my car does have the Citroen badge on the bonnet front passenger side)?
    Do you have a photo of them? Or any photos of cars showing some examples?
    Are you still producing them if I wanted one? I see this post is from 2006!
    Cheers, Leconte
    ---------------------------------

The badges and key rings are on the following page of our website.

http://www.authenticlightingandhardw...-for-sale.html

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ID19 boot lid badge-cit-badge-360-w.jpg   ID19 boot lid badge-cit-badge-back-w.jpg  

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I thought the early ID's had no badge at all..... I like having "no badge". Several times I've spotted people doing laps of my ID in the past..... searching for a badge no doubt in order to figure out what the hell it is Don't worry I'd never tell them

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

If you can afford it

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Winkbul45 - mine is the older ID19, not a D-Special so I am not chasing your D-Special badge, sorry.

Hi Idear - Michael, what year/body ID is that Heidelberg car? I was coming around to think that maybe mine has a later boot lid on it, from a crash repair or similar. But if htere are a few Heidelberg cars with similar marking, maybe it was just one of those things they did once in a while. Perhaps they had a bunch of badges towards the end of production and decided to use them up? I'd like to see a contemporary or near-contemporary photo showing one on a boot, that would convince me...

Hi GilbertH - John I will probably buy one of your bronze badges - they look great in the photos on your site - but right now I am chasing water pump parts as mine is leaking and I will probably do one thing at a time. I would then have a spare if the one on my bonnet comes to grief (e.g. when painting) or try on the boot. I'm not sure it is going to look so good on the boot, it may get in the way of the curves and lines. I'll have to ponder this matter for a bit longer, but it is good to know you still have a few of them.

Regards to all and thanks for responding, Leconte

mnm

Hello

my car is a 1970 DSpecial. It has ID19B on the build plate and the early DSpecial badge on the boot. That's my crazy niece btw.... she didn't come with the car...

Mine is cracked in a couple of places, but I have a metal replacement that I sourced off french ebay... I'll keep my eye out for one of you like.

Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 8th November 2012 at 01:57 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Hello

my car is a 1970 DSpecial. It has ID19B on the build plate and the early DSpecial badge on the boot. That's my crazy niece btw.... she didn't come with the car...

Mine is cracked in a couple of places, but I have a metal replacement that I sourced off french ebay... I'll keep my eye out for one of you like.

Matthew
    --------------------------

Just interested Matthew. Because your id is an ID19B, has it got the higher gearing, making it cruise at closer to round 2700rpm rather than 3000 at 100 kmh ?? - - - as the 67 - 68 ID19B's are - - - and the '68 Safari's.

Regards, John.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ID19 boot lid badge-67ds-july-2012-1-w.jpg  

mnm

Hi John,

I've had this discussion with Richo. Mine has the lower gearing so cruises around 3200ish.. It has the single throat Solex as well and 4 into 1 exhaust manifold. Fourth gear is decidedly gutless... I have to submit a flight plan before I overtake anyone.. so a higher 4th gear while a little quieter at cruising speed wouldn't help matters I think.

Matthew

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Leconte. The Heidelberg car that had the Citroen badge on the boot is the 1960 ID19P model. ID 19114672. Model No. 6082. Ofcourse the boot may have come off another car or the badge may have been put on later. Michael

Fellow Frogger!

Default boot lid badge

Quote Originally Posted by soafie View Post
    OK, thanks for the info guys - looks as though my car would have had the 'D-Special' badge, then (it has vinyl seats, single throat Solex etc - a reasonably basic car).
    I'm not exactly sure when in 1969 the car was built - rego papers say the car is a 1970, but the firewall plate says ID19. . .what was stamped on the ID plates of the post September '69 D-Specials/Supers?
    The badge holes in the bootlid are arranged in two pairs about 100mm apart. . .so the D-Special badge sounds more likely than the individual ID19 lettering.
    It also sounds as though I'm not all that likely to find a surviving badge if they are plastic. . .maybe I'm best just to mig up the holes and forget about it!

Thanks for your help,
    I have a spare metal DSpecial badge. I live in Kalamunda (WA).
    Let me know if you still want it.

Fellow Frogger!

Just read your reply from 7/11.
    Winkbul

Thread Information