Changing a bulb in the XM instrument panel
  • Help

Default Changing a bulb in the XM instrument panel

XM-ophiles,

Seem to have blown a bulb in the XM's instrument panel (the fuse is OK, all other dash lighting is OK so guess it's the bulb or a manky connection). Could use some clues on how to access the instrument panel illumination to check the bulb(s) - the Haynes manual isn't a lot of use on this topic.

It seems to be trying to behave like a Saab with a permanent black panel arrangement.

Advertisement

Otherwise, the car is running sensationally. Recent enhancements in the creature comfort departments include: replacing the tired Clarion Head Unit and CD player with a new UK-spec Kenwood unit that interfaces with the XM's steering controls; installing phone handsfree kit with the phone cradle occupying the space left by the old CD player - very unobstrusive; replacing the infrared plip with a new RF unit - more convenient and reliable (so far).

Next project is the air con.

Regards,

Greg
    1992 Citroen XM 2.0i Prestige 1989 Peugeot 205 GTI S2 (Little Red Car for sale) 1998 Volvo V70R AWD (Big Red Car)

UFO

Greg

Do you have a series one or two car? Can't remember... If series 1 it is easy I think. A couple of screws in the lower area below the speedo. If a series 2, allow half a day

Now as to the RF plip. Can you provide any details PLEASE?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thanks Craig,

Car is Series 1 and there are two screws accessible on the inside of the instrument panel shrouding. I was hesitant to remove these without some idea of what would happen (ie dash falls off, car suddenly vapourises, etc).

The RF plip is just an aftermarket kit for remote central locking, available from Autobarn. It is an extra thing to add to a keyring but it's small and much less bulky than my Volvo equivalent. Cost including fitting was around $140, but I'm sure you could do better if you haggled. Everything associated with the old plip still works as it used to - interior lights come on when unlocked, dim when locked, indicators flash. Much more convenient than fumbling the infra red into a line of sight with the sensor within a metre of the car.

Apparently it's a common job on the 124 Benz, which also uses an infrared plip.

Here's a pic of the stowage of the phone cradle beneath the new head unit. Good place if you prefer not have your phone dominating the dashboard, and good for an ironic technological laugh when the secret panel slides back to reveal the head unit with its ridiculous illumination and the phone. Very 1960s James Bond.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Changing a bulb in the XM instrument panel-xm-console-head-unit-phone.jpg  
    1992 Citroen XM 2.0i Prestige 1989 Peugeot 205 GTI S2 (Little Red Car for sale) 1998 Volvo V70R AWD (Big Red Car)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

With the RF remote ...

The simplest way is to fit an alarm (these a great in caravan parks ... Annoy the shit out of everyone when you lock/unlock the car ... beep beep, beep, beep beep, beep, beep beep ....................etc ).

All you need need is an central locking interface, it'll either trigger on the high or low side of the pulse. I just hooked the CX's up to the existing Infra red input. This allows the lights to auto-dim/switch on when locked/unlocked etc....

It's a pretty easy DIY type of job ... give it a bash !

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Icon1

Great document on Norrie's site:

http://club-xm.com/forum2/index.php?showtopic=341

For some reason I seem to remember that 22 bulbs are required, sad or what?

regards
    sean
    Last edited by sdabel; 6th February 2006 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks Sean, it is a great document. Glad I've got a Series I though - even with this guidance, I'd possibly rather eat my own vomit than go through that to change a bulb.

Might also seek guidance from the chatty folk on the yahoo list.

Thread Information