Springs for Citroen C2
  • Help

Default Springs for Citroen C2

Okay i will be looking to lower my Citroen C2 in the first month of taking delivery and i have a few questions

• Does fitting springs cancel out warranty etc....
    • What is quality brand for this car
    • Doe H & R Spings have an Adelaide distributor?
    • How low is too low e.g Don't want scraping all the time or hiting the front bar
    • Would coilovers be a better option, import the from the U.K or something like that
    That's about it

Advertisement

Dan

You betcha!! If you were to make such a massive change to a brand new car as fit new springs you would get absolutely no warranty on anything. Its the equivalent of giving the dealer a get out of waranty free card. Wait till the car is out of warranty then stuff up its ride with lower springs.
    Citroens develope enough rattles with out helping them along with shorter springs riding over Adelaides goat tracks with their cast iron potholes,I mean manhole covers!
    Dom
    Xantia SX 1997
    Toyota Spacia 2000

The head bloke at continental cars assured me that modifying suspension and wheels will only void warranty for that particular part and nothing else. Just check its ok with your dealer, and most importantly, with your insurance.

Stock suspension on all Citroens are really nothing but top quality, and lowered springs alone could drastically hinder performance. I personally would not go with anything but coilovers - I just ordered a set of KW coilovers for my C4 good luck!
    C4 Exclusive 2.0l Blanc Banquise

Quote Originally Posted by C2VTR
    Okay i will be looking to lower my Citroen C2 in the first month of taking delivery and i have a few questions

• Does fitting springs cancel out warranty etc....
    That's about it

Dan
    Dan,

Seriously, why not ask the dealer - or even better, CitroŽn Australia. Their opinion matters in this case, after all
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

moosey

A good quality aftermarket lowered progressive rate spring can actually improve the ride under normal driving conditions, and firm it up when necessary (around the twisties). There a quite a few RSC guys running Eibach Sportlines with standard shocks and they're more than happy with the result. Don't listen to the naysayers - check with your dealer for warranty implications, buy good quality, and enjoy the improvements to the car!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sim0n
    The head bloke at continental cars assured me that modifying suspension and wheels will only void warranty for that particular part and nothing else. Just check its ok with your dealer, and most importantly, with your insurance.

Stock suspension on all Citroens are really nothing but top quality, and lowered springs alone could drastically hinder performance. I personally would not go with anything but coilovers - I just ordered a set of KW coilovers for my C4 good luck!
    Do let us know how it goes - I'm very interested; what's your overall intention with the upgrade?
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Quote Originally Posted by moosey
    A good quality aftermarket lowered progressive rate spring can actually improve the ride under normal driving conditions, and firm it up when necessary (around the twisties). There a quite a few RSC guys running Eibach Sportlines with standard shocks and they're more than happy with the result. Don't listen to the naysayers - check with your dealer for warranty implications, buy good quality, and enjoy the improvements to the car!!!
    my experience with past cars with lowered springs have all been terrible and sometimes dangerous...albeit, the point of lowered springs imo is for the lowered look alone and for people who can't afford a proper coilover set. That said, all the springs i've tried were pretty budget, so i'm not sure how the more expensive brands compare.

Under normal driving circumstances, yes, lowered springs are probably acceptable....but at high speeds....eek!

If anything i'll be getting coil overs no doubt

Any brand of choice for Citroens & C2's at that

Dan

moosey

my experience with past cars with lowered springs have all been terrible and sometimes dangerous...albeit, the point of lowered springs imo is for the lowered look alone and for people who can't afford a proper coilover set. That said, all the springs i've tried were pretty budget, so i'm not sure how the more expensive brands compare.

Under normal driving circumstances, yes, lowered springs are probably acceptable....but at high speeds....eek!
    Sim0n, there's nothing wrong with good quality aftermarket springs. Coilovers are fine for track work where you will maybe want to drop your ride height, but otherwise they're a pain in the arse. I've used Jamex springs with OE shocks on my 205, both on the road and in club motorsport (160kph down the straight at Oran Park) and they worked just fine. IMO, Coilovers on a 2.0 Auto C4 are a complete waste of money. Are you going to track the car? If not then springs and something like Koni adjustables will do the job just as well for road driving. You can spend the money you save on something else for the car. C2VTR, don't get sucked into the idea that it needs to be coilovers or nothing.

Sim0n, there's nothing wrong with good quality aftermarket springs. Coilovers are fine for track work where you will maybe want to drop your ride height, but otherwise they're a pain in the arse. I've used Jamex springs with OE shocks on my 205, both on the road and in club motorsport (160kph down the straight at Oran Park) and they worked just fine. IMO, Coilovers on a 2.0 Auto C4 are a complete waste of money. Are you going to track the car? If not then springs and something like Koni adjustables will do the job just as well for road driving. You can spend the money you save on something else for the car. C2VTR, don't get sucked into the idea that it needs to be coilovers or nothing.
    Cheers for the advice, i have someone looking at new H&R's for me through their contacts in Germany

$550 landed which i think is a good price, i have H&R's in my WRX and find them the best spring by far, nothing has felt better, good ride quality [better than OEM] not too low, no suspension damage due to geometry changes and they have been in the car 3 years. i have done small track work, two hill climbs & it's gets driven almost daily around the city

Dan

Pah, Moosey, don't discourage Simon too much. With a bit of luck he won't have any money left to paint his black bits white .
    John

Damn! *pulls defensive shield up

As luck would have it, my mate who is getting my KW suspension rang me this morning telling me he has a spare set of H&R springs for the C4. Some guy ordered a set for his 307 but they sent the wrong ones because back in Germany, the parts are listed as the same but are entirely different.....or something like that.... He said i could have them for cheap instead of arranging to send it back and if so, he can cancel the coilovers.....did you put him up to this moosey?!?! *shakes fist

I've decided to give the springs a go anyhow....what i'm worried about now is if it'll wear my stock suspension quicker as it will become out of warranty - might cost more $$$ and headaches than installing a full coilover set!

So for the 307 owners....if you're after a set of H&R lowered springs, make sure you specify the make and engine size!!! Or else you might make a C4 owner very happy!

Hey Simon; I'm lost now - are these H & R springs lowered or just more progressive? What's the idea too; more to improve ride or handling?
    John

35mm lowered all round
    main point is to improve handling/lower the car...don't think it'll improve the ride much lol......suspension mods never do :p
    got the springs sitting next to me....just need to find a decent installer now!!

thought i'd post some pics while im at it
    heres a pic of the springs:

and heres a pic of the car (stock height)

ignore the state of my backyard

ps. sorry for thread hijack

The car could do with some more P plates They look stylish hanging on the number plate
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

thought i'd post some pics while im at it
    heres a pic of the springs:

and heres a pic of the car (stock height)

ignore the state of my backyard

All i see is red X matey

Dan

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I hope you mean that's the lowered height .... that car wouldn't even get into half the petrol stations in town (given how low it already is) without crunching ... let alone once lowered. Our Xantia at normal ride height quite often drags it's towbar across the pavement when going through gutters/ramps into places !!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    I hope you mean that's the lowered height .... that car wouldn't even get into half the petrol stations in town (given how low it already is) without crunching ... let alone once lowered. Our Xantia at normal ride height quite often drags it's towbar across the pavement when going through gutters/ramps into places !!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Looks like standard ride height from here, the grass effect makes it look a little lower perhaps. Our front has been OK thus far, but that's a good thought - much lower and....

You know, I've got an idea - maybe Citroen could invent a suspension system that you could raise and lower simply by moving a little lever....
    John

Thread Information