C5 squeaky brakes
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default C5 squeaky brakes

Hi all I have just purchased an '02 C5 estate and of course I am really happy with it, with one exception - the noisy brakes! Are there any ways to fix this minor problem, any advice/ tips etc would be greatly appreciated
    Jim

Advertisement

"Squirt with a hose" seems to be the stock answer. Not really a long-term solution though.

On the GS (with a rather different braking system) the solution is to pull the pads out, clean out all the old brake dust without inhaling, and put a smear of anti-seize paste (NOT grease!) along the edges of the backing plates, and where the piston bears on the back of the pad.

The idea being keep the pad free to move in the caliper, so it doesn't sit hard against the disk and squeak. I have no idea if this would work on a C5, but I don't see why not...

Chris
    GS 1220 break. Beige cars go faster

My Xsara squeals like a pig on death row. Very common for Xsara/C5 2001 to 03 to have noisy brakes and all dealers would tell you there's nothing wrong it. They always tell you to hose down the wheels regularly, in my case had to do it every 5 days for 3 yrs!(became a ritual to me, can't sleep without doing it). However it is very funny that when my warranty expired, dealer suddenly changed all disc/pads and charged me $1,200, I was not pre-advised but I can't complain, I need my car and have to pay up. Noise gone, never heard it again (over 8 months now) even if my wheels are black with dust. No more hosing...I love these citroen guys...
    Last edited by Juan M.; 2nd February 2006 at 01:33 PM.

Default C5 Squeaky Brakes

My 2003 C5 had squaeky rear brakes and I tried all the suggested remedies without success. The rear pads were replaced (cost about $220.00 I think) and that was the end of that. It seems the rear brakes are mostly the problem because they carry very little of the braking effort. You could always try taking the car on to a quiet road and give it a few hard breaking stops from a reasonably high speed. That sometimes does the trick.
    ROVING FROG

Brake pad squeal can be from a few different sources.
    Ford did a study on it years ago and in co-hort with PBR and discovered that one main source is the pads rattling at high frequency in the callipers. One way to combat this was to 'glue' the pads in! The product is a PBR product called........Brake Pad adhesive, funnily enough.
    Just remove the pads from the carriers, check where the pads contact the piston on one side and where they sit against the trailing side for a pressure area. Apply the adhesive to the pressure areas and let is set.
    I tried this on a couple of 505's I had and it worked well in both cases. I had to re-apply with a little more on the second car but the effort was rewarded with no squeal.
    Repco sell the stuff.

Good luck,
    Chris
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

I replaced the front pads on my GT recently, it never used to squeal, but with the new bendix pads it always squeals. Apparently genuine cit pads don't squeal. So maybe its worth payin the extra to get the genuine part in the future.

Dave

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    I replaced the front pads on my GT recently, it never used to squeal, but with the new bendix pads it always squeals. Apparently genuine cit pads don't squeal. So maybe its worth payin the extra to get the genuine part in the future.

Dave
    AFAIR, Bendix pads are harder than Citroen or the Textars. Your pads last longer but your disks take up the slack. Pads are cheaper and easier to replace than disks, so you might do well to change again.

I recall that the Bendix pads in my BX were not quite as good at their job as the others. Also can be difficult to get with sensor wires too.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Default Squeaky Brakes

My 2002 C5 has always had low-speed squeaking from the brakes. I'm not particularly worried.
    At 60.000 km. I may need my first pad replacement. Will see what happens after that.

From what I hear its very common on the C5 rear brakes and it appears to be very similar problem to that of the GSs. They are even fitting half pad shims to them to stop the squeal.

I seem to remember that softer Texstar pads were the best for GSs too.

Ken W

Tadpole

Default C5 squeaky brakes

Thanks for everyones input, I'll try a few of these things when I get the time/money.In the meantime I guess i'll just try the hosing option!

Jim, the adhesive is only about $7 a tube. Would be a cheap option to hosing.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Hey. I've been putting up with squealy brakes for nearly a year since buying my 03 C5 Diesel sedan. I bought some anti-brake squeal red goo and put it on backside of front brake pads (where the piston pushes on it) to no avail. Just today I found my way into the rear brake pads (much easier just remove the tin cover and bolt with an 8mm socket, pull the spring clip back) and applied the same goo. There was a little tin plate covering half of the backside of the pad so I coated one side of it, as well as the pad backside, again where the piston hits them. Just done a quick test run but it appears to have solved it!

Quote Originally Posted by jim504 View Post
    Thanks for everyones input, I'll try a few of these things when I get the time/money.In the meantime I guess i'll just try the hosing option!
    Jim, about 7 years ago I bought a Xantia which had brakes that squealed like a whistle everytime the brakes were used. In order to get a roadworthy I had to replace the 4 rotors and all pads. So, new brakes. Never made a sound again for about the next 5 years, and I fitted the parts myself. I was left with the impression that you drive your car until the brakes begin to squeal. The squeal just happens to co-incide with a rotor which has worn down below it's proper thickness. The metal is different at different depths, so once you get the squeal it's time to change the rotor. You always change the pads as well of course. Simple really, job done. I think this applies to any car with disc brakes. cheers...

Fellow Frogger!

This is from the Citroen-owners-club.co.uk

2. Rear brake squeal.
    This is usually caused by corrosion between the rear brake caliper and suspension arm which if left, will push out the caliper and can even catch the inside of the wheel. The caliper needs to be undone, (it is not necessary to disconnect the brake pipe) the corrosion cleaned off and grease or another barrier applied. This may need to be done every 2 years and should be considered as part of normal servicing

Taken from here, a very handy post!

http://www.citroen-owners-club.co.uk/citroen/topic/20279-common-problems-rev-2652015/

Fellow Frogger

Corrosion is not a problem in our market and the usual cause is glazed discs and excess dust, even at surprisingly low mileages. The steel shims were a factory item and intended to help reduce squeal. You might also cut a slot in the pads and chamfer the edges a little. Taking the calipers off can be a major headache as the factory locked the bolts in place with threadlocker and it can even defeat an average rattle gun. Leave that job to the mechanics unless someone has done the job before to change the rotors and you know the bolts won't be a problem. That's obviously for pre-X7 cars.

For the X7 cars with the electric handbrake, you have to ensure it can't operate with the pads out or you could ruin the mechanism and cost yourself more than all of your DIY services would ever save.

Thread Information