Ax Gt
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Ax Gt

Default Ax Gt

Hey any of you citroen boys know anything about the AXGT, here in adelaide there is one for sale, 2990, red, seems to have some kind of factory body kit, looks pretty cool, does anyone know the spec's on these things im just interested,
    cheers lads

Advertisement

1.4L 8V 4cyl, about 750kilos, very fun to drive. Not overly fast accelerating but everything you do in one feels fast because they are so tiny. They have a lot of body kit as standard.

Not a lot of them in Australia.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    1.4L 8V 4cyl, about 750kilos, very fun to drive. Not overly fast accelerating but everything you do in one feels fast because they are so tiny. They have a lot of body kit as standard.

Not a lot of them in Australia.

Dave
    you guys get the SLOOOOWWW version!! I've had 2 of these cars, and the performance was mind blowing!

In Australia, I'm told they had single point fuel injection, with 0-100kph of about 10 secs. Here in England however, they have a MASSIVE twin throat carbie, and that 0-100 time is just under 8 secs.
    I had a race down the duel carriageway one morning when I was late for work. speed topped out at about 118mph, with the rev counter hovering on 7000rpm, not bad for a little 1360cc engine!
    You don't need to scream it either, there is heaps of grunt low down and in the mid-range, and driven carefully, can be quite economical.
    They go round corners too!
    All in all, it really was the most fun I've ever had with my clothes still on
    john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

moosey

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071
    you guys get the SLOOOOWWW version!! I've had 2 of these cars, and the performance was mind blowing!

In Australia, I'm told they had single point fuel injection, with 0-100kph of about 10 secs. Here in England however, they have a MASSIVE twin throat carbie, and that 0-100 time is just under 8 secs.
    I had a race down the duel carriageway one morning when I was late for work. speed topped out at about 118mph, with the rev counter hovering on 7000rpm, not bad for a little 1360cc engine!
    You don't need to scream it either, there is heaps of grunt low down and in the mid-range, and driven carefully, can be quite economical.
    They go round corners too!
    All in all, it really was the most fun I've ever had with my clothes still on
    john s
    The only thing they won't do is STOP !!!

None of the Ax's were really that fast, but yes the uk ones were better.
    There is a tu engined version which is only 680kilos and does 0-100 in about 8.8sec. Then the rest of the euro xu9 versions did the 0-100 in the 9's and the bodgy version we got is in the mid 10's.

Check them out here

Dave

None of the Ax's were really that fast, but yes the uk ones were better.
    There is a tu engined version which is only 680kilos and does 0-100 in about 8.8sec. Then the rest of the euro xu9 versions did the 0-100 in the 9's and the bodgy version we got is in the mid 10's.

Check them out here

Dave
    Ummm, forgive me but ALL AX's have TU engines. The XU engine just will not fit under the bonnet as it is physically too big. Impossible without major structural modification.
    john s

Ummm, forgive me but ALL AX's have TU engines. The XU engine just will not fit under the bonnet as it is physically too big. Impossible without major structural modification.
    john s

sorry my mistake thats what i get for trying to write a post while talking on the phone The only difference is that the ax sport had twin downdraft carbies.

Back to work for me

Dave

We have one in the family and your dead right about no chance of an xu fitting I hate the idea of working on it enough, and thats just with the tiny 1360cc tu in there, the one engine that people seem to shoehorn in is the 1.6L 16V tu (I believe its the saxo vts engine), apparently that makes these little beasts move, mmm 120hp and <800kilos.

Dave

I did manage to out-accelerate an audi TT going up an on-ramp to the motorway. Of course he overtook me when I hit 80mph, but it was fun all the same!

They are definately a fun little car.

The little engines rev out to 7000rpm (and hit the limiter) so easily, but theres not really any benefit above 6000rpm or so. I reckon if you put in a cam to make use of the extra revs they would go a bit better.

Dave

Yes, I'm told you can put the cylinderhead from the 16v saxo onto it. Not sure, but I think you can also put the 1.6 cylinder liners & pistons in there too. The aluminum block is basically the same right the way from the little AX 10 all the way up. The bearing "ladder" at the bottom of the block might be different though.
    The TU engine is actually quite easy to work on, and is very lightweight too.
    I said earlier I've had 2 GT cars. I've also had 2 of the less powerfull 1120cc cars. When launched, these had the world record of being the most economical petrol engined passenger cars in the world!!!
    john s

So are you bringing an Ax to the Cit in?? surely you can fit it in your hand luggage

Dave

So are you bringing an Ax to the Cit in?? surely you can fit it in your hand luggage

Dave
    Would be a nice thought, but if I were to bring a car, it would be my
    CX turbo! I just wish the weather were a little bit warmer, so I could get and finish the bloody thing! It looks so sad in the farm yard covered in cowshit!
    Maybe if the ICCCR comes to australia, I will bring a car with me! john s

I had one from new to 80,000km. They are a fun drive, excellent ride and really decent handling - darty and sharp with great (non-assisted) steering. Lots of interior creaks and rattles from day one, but practical design with brilliant water bottle holders. If the (truly comfortable) seat is wearing you can simply remove the lower half and swap it as it is held in place by rubber bands (I'm serious!). Brakes, as Moosey says, are fairly dire due to the RHD conversion; mine had a master cylinder and brake booster replaced under warranty which improved things a bit. Air conditioning is a bit odd; an in-cabin after market unit which cools your left knee and chin very effectively. Mine leaked water into the cabin until the drainage was revised. The front struts get chattery with age, but overall they are a reliable sweet little thing. Engine is pretty droney at 110km/h but the pull-out stereo in mine was decent. I actually drove one with heaps of km on it a couple of years ago, think the dampers were a bit worn but it actually still felt pretty solid.

The wheels are uniquely sized and have three studs, so aftermarket options are rather limited. I doubt you can easily get the OEM size tyre either, but there are other options I would imagine.
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie
    The wheels are uniquely sized and have three studs, so aftermarket options are rather limited. I doubt you can easily get the OEM size tyre either, but there are other options I would imagine.
    I would have thought 165/65/13 tyres should be available pretty much everywhere.....john s

Fellow Frogger!

They're really great fun but as moosey says the brakes can fade like hell if driven hard downhill!

I had an AX in the UK. Later UK ones had FI (instead of carbies) like the ones here because they had to have cats.

People do stuff like this to them too:
    http://106rallye.co.uk/newforum/showthread.php?t=21623
    unfrogged (for now)

I would have thought 165/65/13 tyres should be available pretty much everywhere.....john s
    If i remember correctly ours has 14" wheels?? and has 175/60s on it??

Dave

The Australian spec AXGT's had 14 inch wheels. Tyre size *was* unique (at least here no other cars shared it). Its 15 years since I bought a tyre but I vaguely recall it was 155/65 14 and only Michelin made it.
    John

Its a real shame they were not marketed properly here and for that matter priced properly.
    Theya re a great car and loads of them in France, still driving around. .
    I love the AX Spot and the TONIC.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Its a real shame they were not marketed properly here and for that matter priced properly.
    Theya re a great car and loads of them in France, still driving around. .
    I love the AX Spot and the TONIC.
    The only real competitor at that time was the Suzuki Swift GTi which was revvier, cheaper, and with a reputation for better reliablilty. I also looked at the Honda Civic, but the feel of the AX on the road - its ride, handling, great seats and eager character hooked me. A far nicer drive than the Swift.

Marketing? I don't recall any!! Well there was a competition to win one of, I think, 5 AXGT's if you bought car polish. I suspect that simply had the effect of reducing the sales of Turtle Wax for a bit
    John

moosey

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Well Citroen wasn't really in a position to do this back then. I remember "stumbling across" a 205 Si in my search for a good deal on a Suzuki GTi or Charade CR. The deal was right and I have owned frenchies almost ever since. Let's hope that we will see the C2 VTS here to give the (new) Suzuki GTi et al some curry.

If i remember correctly ours has 14" wheels?? and has 175/60s on it??

Dave
    Some did have 14" wheels, but they are rare here. Both of mine had 13".
    My second GT, infact had pressed steel wheels! They WERE right for the car, as I had a 1.1 AX at the same time, also on steel wheels. you could easily tell the difference!
    I bought a second hand set of alloys, and they were 14", I didn't use them in the end, as I would have needed to buy 4 new tyres. I was going to put the new tyres from the steel wheels onto the alloys, and I was expecting 13" wheels to arrive

Quote Originally Posted by moosey
    Let's hope that we will see the C2 VTS here to give the (new) Suzuki GTi et al some curry.
    Ah now that would be nice. I hope you're putting in a good word or two.

There are lots of Swifts around as it is - it seems to have taken off.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Dude,

I've got one

standard wheels were 155/60/14's but 175/60/14s fit

Good little car - biggest issue ive come across is the electrics - they can be a bit ...interesting - easy to work on cars though, dunno what Dave is talking about, as there is plenty of space to get to things.

No upsy downsy suspension to leak and go wrong too (lets see if shane takes the bait)

Mine has done 168k km, and needs a bit of work, but it gets me from a to b (most of the time)

Ken

Ken
    How are you BTW i have not seen you lately puttering about on the North side? My car is nearing 80000km. Basically trouble free.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information