Perth spheres of influence
  • Help

Default Perth spheres of influence

Can any of you Perthites recommend a cit service place in Perth that would know about such things as spheres in a Xantia? SWMBO says hers is making clunking noises over bumps and I want it checked out before disaster strikes. Being our first cit I really don't know what to look for, although I do have some mechanical aptitude, I don't know what they are supposed to be like.

Advertisement
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Fellow Frogger!

Spheres won't cause clunking over bumps, as spheres wear out the ride will get harder and eventually become stiff and bouncy.

Clunking will be one of the balljoints, most likely the rollbar droplink balljoints. (Which means replacing the droplink(s) )

Regards,
    Simon
    1998 Xantia Mk2 V6 Auto Exclusive

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yep,

though I'd even be surprised if it's the droplinks (that appears to be more of a problem in the UK ... Possibly the ball joints dry out over there and get full of salty water).

Check first for things like the exhaust banging somewhere.... You know the real simple things. The hydraulic systems very rarely (if ever) go wrong.

Highly unlikely but CHECK THE STRUT MOUNTS, IF THEY ARE PERISHED THE STRUTS WILL HEAD THROUGH THE BONNET !!!
    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by Ren25
    Can any of you Perthites recommend a cit service place in Perth that would know about such things as spheres in a Xantia?
    Hey there Ren25, you have a few options as listed below........

Chevron Downunder in Baywater on 93710092
    Bob Senn in Kalamunda on 9293 0576
    Swiss Automotive Services in Mosman Park on 9384 0382
    Eurocare in Victoria Park on 9355 2712
    or if you have bags of money try the local dealers in Cannington or Mt Lawley who should be able to work on a Xantia's sphere's but will fleece you in the process! Best of luck
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Yep,

though I'd even be surprised if it's the droplinks (that appears to be more of a problem in the UK ... Possibly the ball joints dry out over there and get full of salty water).
    Perhaps....although the boots should protect them ?

I think the reason they fail so often in the UK is when they first wear out they replace them with cheap 3rd party ones that wear out prematurely

I've seen quite a few threads on frenchcarforum where 3rd party droplinks have been clonking again within 5,000 - 10,000Km, but with genuine ones lasting a very long time...sometimes 10 times as long.

I've found slack in the lower balljoint of the left hand rollbar droplink on mine (145,000Km, 8 years old) so it'll need replacing, and I had been noticing a bit of clonking on potholes.... all of the other balljoints seem to be ok though including the bottom hub balljoints...

Regards,
    Simon
    Last edited by Mandrake; 28th January 2006 at 08:58 PM.
    1998 Xantia Mk2 V6 Auto Exclusive

Thread Information